Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
With perforated, ventilated, cooled, leather seats (and seat backs), with adjustable headrests, I could forgive everything else.
But it would be nice if:
- It came with a jack, pucks and full size regular spare tire
- It made decisions consistently, so we could learn the kind of things it has trouble with and take control in advance only when necessary. After nearly a full year and 8,000 miles, it daily surprises me with some stupid mistake doing something it did fine yesterday.
- The driver's seat base would extend in and out making the seat base deeper or more shallow.
- the frunk was power operated like the trunk.
- the same buttons that fold down the rear seats, could also fold them up.

But it's still the best car, by far, that I know of, much less owned.

With perforated, ventilated, cooled, leather seats (and seat backs), with adjustable headrests, I could forgive everything else.
But it would be nice if:
- It came with a jack, pucks and full size regular spare tire
- It made decisions consistently, so we could learn the kind of things it has trouble with and take control in advance only when necessary. After nearly a full year and 8,000 miles, it daily surprises me with some stupid mistake doing something it did fine yesterday.
- The driver's seat base would extend in and out making the seat base deeper or more shallow.
- the frunk was power operated like the trunk.
- the same buttons that fold down the rear seats, could also fold them up.

But it's still the best car, by far, that I know of, much less owned.
Are you talking about FSDb?
Also, regarding the driver’s seat, are you talking about telescoping up/down functionality?

Not just the Y but also the X
1.real Leather massaging seats
2. More thigh support and slightly wider seat
3. HUD
4. Pano roof shade
5.auto frunk
6.thicker leather steering wheel(bmw Msport thickness)
7.air suspension, better yet…hydraulic suspension
8.360 Birds Eye view.
9.steering wheel stalks(for X)
10. Most importantly…much better service from point of picking up and repairs needed.
I’d gladly pay an additional $15k for these features, call it the “Exclusive pkg.”

Tesla is leaving out a lot of potential buyers by not offering the service you’d get from BMW when picking up your car and having someone help you set everything up. For us tech nerds, it’s not a big deal but for those who need help, Tesla needs to raise the bar here.

Reactions: AJ.. and THEbuz
Not just the Y but also the X
1.real Leather massaging seats
2. More thigh support and slightly wider seat
3. HUD
4. Pano roof shade
5.auto frunk
6.thicker leather steering wheel(bmw Msport thickness)
7.air suspension, better yet…hydraulic suspension
8.360 Birds Eye view.
9.steering wheel stalks(for X)
10. Most importantly…much better service from point of picking up and repairs needed.
I’d gladly pay an additional $15k for these features, call it the “Exclusive pkg.”

Tesla is leaving out a lot of potential buyers by not offering the service you’d get from BMW when picking up your car and having someone help you set everything up. For us tech nerds, it’s not a big deal but for those who need help, Tesla needs to raise the bar here.
Oh, yeah—I hate that TESLA has removed the steering wheel stalks in Model S and Model X! I am assuming that Cybertruck will also NOT have them! I hate that.

Reactions: AJ.. and GoVols!
Are you talking about FSDb?
Also, regarding the driver’s seat, are you talking about telescoping up/down functionality?
Not specifically about FSDß, although some of the inconsistent actions are within it, but others have nothing to do with FSDß.

No. I tried, (and apparently failed), to describe telescoping the driver's seat bottom in and out, making distance between the front edge of the seat and the back of the seat shorter and longer - one of the features I enjoyed on my Kia that some other brands have. If you have very short or very long legs that helps in adjusting the seat for driver comfort.

Reactions: sfRonH
1. USS, radar and all other safety mechanisms back on with retrofit option for all cars

2. No phantom braking

3. 450 mile range option on Model Y

4. Coverable roof/shade option for summers

5. Better side mirrors

6. Proper buttons for HVAC

7. Affordable refurbish option for range loss after 3 years

8. Even better suspension (air?) option that matches BMW

9. Cheaper SC rates for occasional usage

Lights always on when wipers are on. This is a safety feature that virtually all other cars have. As it is now, this only happens when it’s dark enough where the lights would come on anyway. Many states require that lights be on when wipers are on.
My Volvo 240 would turn off the headlights when I turned the ignition off so I could just keep them on all the time when I was driving with zero effort. I wish the Tesla would do this. Instead, if I've turned the headlights on manually then when I stop the car it starts at beeping me and warning me to manually turn them off. Seems like a big step in the wrong direction. Just automatically turn them off when I park and add a button that says "Lights on when parked" for the rare occasion I want that.

IIUC Teslas have daytime running lights that are always on when the car is in gear. Is this a reasonable substitute for having the headlights on for visibility? I think not because the tail lights are off when the daytime running lights are on. In fact Tesla says:

CAUTION
The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

What the heck? They acknowledge this is a safety issue but they continue to make it a pain in the neck to keep the headlights on when you're driving. The only reason I can see for this nonsense is Tesla's belief that FSD will be solved real soon now which means all of this automatic stuff will work almost perfectly so there is no need to waste any effort to give us decent manual control.

1. USS, radar and all other safety mechanisms back on with retrofit option for all cars

2. No phantom braking

3. 450 mile range option on Model Y

4. Coverable roof/shade option for summers

5. Better side mirrors

6. Proper buttons for HVAC

7. Affordable refurbish option for range loss after 3 years

8. Even better suspension (air?) option that matches BMW

9. Cheaper SC rates for occasional usage
Aren’t you people done whining about USS already!????
My Volvo 240 would turn off the headlights when I turned the ignition off so I could just keep them on all the time when I was driving with zero effort. I wish the Tesla would do this. Instead, if I've turned the headlights on manually then when I stop the car it starts at beeping me and warning me to manually turn them off. Seems like a big step in the wrong direction. Just automatically turn them off when I park and add a button that says "Lights on when parked" for the rare occasion I want that.

IIUC Teslas have daytime running lights that are always on when the car is in gear. Is this a reasonable substitute for having the headlights on for visibility? I think not because the tail lights are off when the daytime running lights are on. In fact Tesla says:

CAUTION
The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

What the heck? They acknowledge this is a safety issue but they continue to make it a pain in the neck to keep the headlights on when you're driving. The only reason I can see for this nonsense is Tesla's belief that FSD will be solved real soon now which means all of this automatic stuff will work almost perfectly so there is no need to waste any effort to give us decent manual control.
Am I missing something? Pretty sure my 2023 Model Y has daytime running lights. I also keep the fog lights ON all the time. Is that somehow insufficient?

I am happy with my headrest, but I agree with you that it would be nice if they were adjustable. Same with the rear camera wiper/cleaner; my rear camera is constantly getting dirty!

When you say your insurance score are you referring to TESLA auto insurance or are you referring to the "safety score" tied to FSD Beta????
If the former, then can I ask how much cheaper your TESLA auto insurance rate is? I am paying over $900 to insure my 2023 Model Y (LR/AWD). Would love to go with TESLA auto insurance and save, but it is not available in my state at this time.
I don't know exactly how the insurance score works but yeah I have Tesla insurance and my score has gone down because of numerous forward collision warnings...all of which were erroneous. My insurance has gone up like 15% because of that, I think it was like $140 last month.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz