Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
I don't know exactly how the insurance score works but yeah I have Tesla insurance and my score has gone down because of numerous forward collision warnings...all of which were erroneous. My insurance has gone up like 15% because of that, I think it was like $140 last month.
What!??? Your insurance can go up or down month-by-month!???? My legacy insurance is locked in for 6mos at a time. I’m curious what you pay and what state you are in…???? I pay $458.20 for my 2023 TESLA Model Y for 6mos! That works out to $76.37/mo (I live in Boise). Curious if you are paying more or less than that…???

Reactions: TuMadre1337
Am I missing something? Pretty sure my 2023 Model Y has daytime running lights. I also keep the fog lights ON all the time. Is that somehow insufficient?
Yes, this is insufficient, according to Tesla. I will quote the owner's manual again.

CAUTION
The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

Warning
Always ensure that headlights are on during low visibility conditions. Failure to do so may result in a collision.

Clearly the daytime running lights do not suffice. As for fog lights:

A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.
So you still have to manually turn on the headlights and then manually turn them off when you park. Every time you want added visibility. With my 1988 Volvo 240 it was trivial to make added visibility the default. Tesla says their top priority is safety and they say you need to have the headlights and tail lights on for safety in low visibility conditions. But they don't provide this as a default and they needlessly make it a pain in the neck for the driver to do it manually.

One extra button on the lights control screen would solve this problem. Either "Lights on while driving" or allow the user to manually keep the lights on, have the car turn them off automatically when parked, and add a "Lights on while parked" button.

What!??? Your insurance can go up or down month-by-month!???? My legacy insurance is locked in for 6mos at a time. I’m curious what you pay and what state you are in…???? I pay $458.20 for my 2023 TESLA Model Y for 6mos! That works out to $76.37/mo (I live in Boise). Curious if you are paying more or less than that…???
Yeah it's pretty wild, I also wouldn't consider insurance besides tesla's "legacy". If what tesla offers is the future then we are f'd. :D

• Funny
Reactions: THEbuz
Yes, this is insufficient, according to Tesla. I will quote the owner's manual again.

CAUTION
The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

Warning
Always ensure that headlights are on during low visibility conditions. Failure to do so may result in a collision.

Clearly the daytime running lights do not suffice. As for fog lights:

A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.
So you still have to manually turn on the headlights and then manually turn them off when you park. Every time you want added visibility. With my 1988 Volvo 240 it was trivial to make added visibility the default. Tesla says their top priority is safety and they say you need to have the headlights and tail lights on for safety in low visibility conditions. But they don't provide this as a default and they needlessly make it a pain in the neck for the driver to do it manually.

One extra button on the lights control screen would solve this problem. Either "Lights on while driving" or allow the user to manually keep the lights on, have the car turn them off automatically when parked, and add a "Lights on while parked" button.
I will make one point to address all of this: Clearly, TESLA has yet to figure out how to assess adverse conditions (i.e. rain, sleet, snow, fog) using their vision-based system, as they can’t even make the windshield wipers turn ON when they are needed. (I experienced this just 15min ago on the drive home when picking up my daughter from school and it was pouring down rain. Sure, the windshield wipers turned ON, but they needed to be on HIGH—not MEDIUM.)

Also, I am blown away out how FSDb is able to pick up 25 vehicles in cross-traffic when sitting at a STOP sign (and can display all of those cars on-screen!), but the same vision-based system can’t even tell when it’s raining, prompting the windshield wipers to turn ON??????

If TESLA could solve this, then they solve the daytime headlight issue, too!

Yeah it's pretty wild, I also wouldn't consider insurance besides tesla's "legacy". If what tesla offers is the future then we are f'd. :D
I just meant “legacy”, in terms of how it is administered in contrast to TESLA’s approach involving real-time telematics data. It is ripe for disruption. Same goes for BIG AUTO’s “legacy” pricing, as TESLA will lower prices twice in a week, only to raise prices by $250 the next week. Before long, the going rate for a TESLA EV will be determined like a stock with a ticker symbol!

I will make one point to address all of this: Clearly, TESLA has yet to figure out how to assess adverse conditions (i.e. rain, sleet, snow, fog) using their vision-based system, as they can’t even make the windshield wipers turn ON when they are needed. (I experienced this just 15min ago on the drive home when picking up my daughter from school and it was pouring down rain. Sure, the windshield wipers turned ON, but they needed to be on HIGH—not MEDIUM.)

Also, I am blown away out how FSDb is able to pick up 25 vehicles in cross-traffic when sitting at a STOP sign (and can display all of those cars on-screen!), but the same vision-based system can’t even tell when it’s raining, prompting the windshield wipers to turn ON??????

If TESLA could solve this, then they solve the daytime headlight issue, too!
I agree. I don't have FSD but I do use AP for over 80% of my driving. I love it. There are several places in the UI where giving us more manual control would be helpful but I doubt it's going to happen because Tesla has gone all in on making everything automatic. I think getting FSD to work is a high priority. Fixing other automated things (lights, wipers) is a lower priority. Adding more manual control is an even lower priority. Oh well. I still love the car.

Do you have S3XY Buttons? I wonder if they would help.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I agree. I don't have FSD but I do use AP for over 80% of my driving. I love it. There are several places in the UI where giving us more manual control would be helpful but I doubt it's going to happen because Tesla has gone all in on making everything automatic. I think getting FSD to work is a high priority. Fixing other automated things (lights, wipers) is a lower priority. Adding more manual control is an even lower priority. Oh well. I still love the car.

Do you have S3XY Buttons? I wonder if they would help.
I love AP, too, and use it on every drive—prolly 80%+ of the time.

Those S3XY buttons are way cool! Alas, I have not purchased any yet. I plan to sometime. You’ve got to laugh at the irony of how cool we think they are—yet, they are just the introduction of a manual “switch” to an otherwise “minimalized” aesthetic. (e.g. Remove manual lever to open glove box, but we implement a button to do the same! 🤣) I do totally geek out over that stuff, though, and think it’s cool. Already thinking of places I can affix them in my car and functionalities I can assign to each. Would love to see the list of functionalities they can perform grow! I like the low profile look, though. Black-on-black S3XY buttons hidden behind the steering wheel or behind the screen. I don’t like them in plain sight. That’s just me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: BitJam
My Volvo 240 would turn off the headlights when I turned the ignition off so I could just keep them on all the time when I was driving with zero effort. I wish the Tesla would do this. Instead, if I've turned the headlights on manually then when I stop the car it starts at beeping me and warning me to manually turn them off. Seems like a big step in the wrong direction. Just automatically turn them off when I park and add a button that says "Lights on when parked" for the rare occasion I want that.

Yup, we left the headlights on full-time in our various Hyundai vehicles as well, I find it super annoying that I can't in the Y.

Reactions: BitJam
For FSD I would like to use the right scroll wheel to nudge the car over in the lane. Maybe always centered in the lane is safest but where I live oncoming traffic will sometimes cross the double yellow line and I want to scooch over to the right. Likewise if there is a stopped car, bicyclist or pedestrian near the right side of the lane, I want to scooch over to the left. Three times in a 15 minute drive I took control to stay away from hazards like these.

Most likely it would have been safe without scooching but I didn't know if the driver who crossed the double yellow was paying attention. Maybe they would encroach further. Or maybe someone would emerge from around the parked car or suddenly open a door into my lane.

I doubt Tesla would do this because it may create more safety issues than it solves.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz
I tend to defend Elon and TESLA because I see the big picture (cf. Park Assist, USS), but I agree with you 100% in this case. Just drove home after a long road trip (~700mi each way). Due to all the bugs killed by my TESLA along the way (on the way home), my wipers came on with medium intensity and would NOT turn OFF no matter what I did! I was already LOW on wiper fluid, and I finally ran out of it altogether. Of course, wipers are automatically set to AUTO when you use adaptive cruise control and/or Auto Pilot, so they just kept wiping my otherwise dry windshield! Really wish TESLA would fix this!

Also, my journey took me across US-95 for much of my trip, which has frequent mirages along the blacktop due to it not being flat (presumably because it doesn’t get the same “love” that major interstates do). Consequently, Auto Pilot kept phantom braking, excessively slamming on the brakes, reducing my speed by approx. 5mph each time because it apparently thought the closest mirage about 1/10 mile ahead was a cliff or something. TESLA needs to fix this ASAP!!!

Working adaptive Cruise
Working Auto Wipers
Speed camera warnings
Leather seats
Better build
Better reverse lights
Ability to save the position of the dipped on reverse mirrors.
Blind spot warning in the mirrors
Electric Blind for the roof
Rear lights on with daytime running lights

Reactions: woolymammoth17
1. I'd like the driving visualization to show more of what's going on behind me. I can see what's in front of me easy enough.
2. Acoustic improvements. It's the only thing that makes me wonder if this is the right car for me. I'm not even sure it's any louder than my wife's ID4 but there something about the sound it makes on rough roads that is more jarring. I don't even need the drive to be any softer -- it's just the noise.
3. Fix phantom braking before worrying about city self-driving. My Wife's ID4 is better at practical self-driving than the Tesla (though not nearly as fun to actually drive, which is more important to me).

Reactions: KevinT3141