Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
After driving around a rental Y for a bit, currently visiting family out of town, there is one thing I'd like Tesla to do.

Let us temporarily add a rental Tesla to the Tesla app. That way we can pre heat or pre cool the car. Plus if it snows and gets cold like it did Christmas week, we can have the Tesla unlatch the door.
lol. Dont know how many times I have left the rental Teslas unlocked cause I just walked away.

Some reall simple improvements would be nice
  1. Be able to resize the top row info on the screen. I can't even see the time. Not all Tesla owners are young!
  2. Mute entertainment auto when navigation instructions are given
  3. Voice call to specific phone number, Call Joe on Cell. Text Joe, etc. Test should always go to a cell or mobile. I cannot scroll through 3 or four umbers for people or have have numerous unique entires for one person.
  4. No hands operation for for at least one door, trunk and frunk. At least have this as an option.
  5. Compressor with flat fix should be standard, esp since there is no place to put a spare.
  6. Better route navigation, be able to compare routes, with traffic instead of having to juggle phone nav and car.That traffic jam or road construction can influence a choice of SC en route.
And plus one on the mentions of 350 camera views, and better blind spot warning and won't even get into the USS comments (love iton my M3), I will only say say items 2=5 were on my first gen Ford CMax Plug in. I'll give up fart on command for better voice integration.

YOU MUST KEEP THE TESLA APP OPEN 100% OF THE TIME! This is the #1 reason for “lack of reliability” with the telephone key.
This has happened to me several times recently even though my Tesla app is open 100% of the time. When I pull open the handle, the touchscreen tells me to use the key card. Then once I get in with the key card, it starts just fine with my phone.

This has happened to me several times recently even though my Tesla app is open 100% of the time. When I pull open the handle, the touchscreen tells me to use the key card. Then once I get in with the key card, it starts just fine with my phone.
You must be experiencing an issue that is specific to your TESLA. You may want to have a TESLA technician replace your car’s Bluetooth antenna.

I keep my phone in my back pocket. I find that sometimes the phone isn’t recognized upon approach to my car. I found the easiest solution is to slightly turn my hips for a brief moment so the phone is closer to the door before pulling the handle.

I keep my phone in my back pocket. I find that sometimes the phone isn’t recognized upon approach to my car. I found the easiest solution is to slightly turn my hips for a brief moment so the phone is closer to the door before pulling the handle.
Agreed. I will confess that I have had that happen, as I, too, habitually carry my phone in my back pocket.

Agreed. I will confess that I have had that happen, as I, too, habitually carry my phone in my back pocket.
I carry mine in my front right pocket, but most times I approach from the front of the car so I find myself having to turn the right side of my body to the car when it does not unlock right on approach.

Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

View attachment 888733
"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.
Ability to change font size on display Screen.

Reactions: macheboston
Cameras in the headlight housings, viewing to the sides. This would help for the situations where you have side visibility blocked and you need to slowly edge out until you can see... While praying that the front of your car doesn't get hit.

Honestly can't understand how FSD can work without this. Currently the car has worse side visibility than drivers do (pillar camera is further back than driver's head).

From the list I posted on my blog post My new Tesla Model Y 2023:
  • Support Car key on Apple Wallet as shown on WWDC
  • Add third-party apps support through an App Store, Apple Carplay, or strictly limited APIs for web-based apps
  • Tesla Vision still needs to improve to compensate for the removal of radar and ultrasonic parking sensors
  • 17" Model S/X display with rotation
  • New Model S/X steering wheel with buttons instead of stalks (and, maybe, an option for the yoke)
  • Steam gaming platform

Reactions: timberlights