Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
No sensor or radar will save your wife from the wackos on NJ roads.
However, this will do the job. 9000lbs of heavy steel will crush everything on its path including those wackos.

gmc-hummer-ev-size-1.jpeg
I remember the old Mad Magazine cartoon with the caption, "Generally, a heavier car is safer". The cartoon was of a very, very large car smashing through guardrails off a cliff driving into space.

-TPC

I remember the old Mad Magazine cartoon with the caption, "Generally, a heavier car is safer". The cartoon was of a very, very large car smashing through guardrails off a cliff driving into space.

-TPC
LOL
seriously, I posted the Hummer EV because of its size and weight, which is suitable for driving on the NJ roads with full of wackos (per SpicyPaneer ). If any of those wackos decided to smash into your car, you would rather be in the Hummer than smaller and lighter car.

I don't know any car that uses A/C cooled seats. Just blowing air through the seats. please correct me if I am wrong.
I have experienced A/C cooled air blowing through a FORD mid-size SUV (smaller than Explorer). I don’t recall what model it was. Aside, I should think that air blown through hot seats intended to cool both the seat and the passenger would absolutely need to be cooled via A/C. Otherwise, uncooled air from inside or outside the vehicle would most certainly heat up quickly as it passes through a hot vehicle interior.

I have experienced A/C cooled air blowing through a FORD mid-size SUV (smaller than Explorer). I don’t recall what model it was. Aside, I should think that air blown through hot seats intended to cool both the seat and the passenger would absolutely need to be cooled via A/C. Otherwise, uncooled air from inside or outside the vehicle would most certainly heat up quickly as it passes through a hot vehicle interior.
actually ventilated seats with no A/C air work very good.

Reactions: GBMaryland
Amazon Music
Stingray music (in Canada its probably part of your TV service subscription, so you might as well use it in the car...)
metered heat in the steering wheel
An app that reconnects quicker.
A high current 12V power tap, that pulls from the main battery (All kinds of hobbies like RC model airplanes pull from 12V)
CraveTV app for streaming video (canada)
More quick access functions in the home screen of the app. (more than just 4...)

And a function that tell my wife to let her husband drive the car more often... :)

Reactions: THEbuz
Real blindspot monitoring (yellow LEDs in mirrors)
Front & Rear cross-traffic alerts.. with a visual indication showing the direction of that traffic.
CarPlay
Ventilated seats
Hands-free power liftgate
More comfortable.. or adjustable suspension
Color HUD
Better noise insulation

The good news is that there are many EVs that now offer all of the above. The bad news is none of them are Tesla. The worst news is Tesla has yet to add any of these and Model 3 is already 5 years old.. Model Y is already 3 years old.

Reactions: Gy2020
Real blindspot monitoring (yellow LEDs in mirrors)
Front & Rear cross-traffic alerts.. with a visual indication showing the direction of that traffic.
CarPlay
Ventilated seats
Hands-free power liftgate
More comfortable.. or adjustable suspension
Color HUD
Better noise insulation

The good news is that there are many EVs that now offer all of the above. The bad news is none of them are Tesla. The worst news is Tesla has yet to add any of these and Model 3 is already 5 years old.. Model Y is already 3 years old.
I will add auto-open / auto-close frunk to the list.

Model Y has…
- Hands-free power liftgate. (Unless you are referring to the leg swipe under the rear of the vehicle to trigger the rear liftgate to open. I paid $60 for an after-market kit that I still need to install.)
- More comfortable…suspension. (i.e. “Comfort suspension is now standard on ALL Model Y’s—or at least LR and Performance.)
- Better noise insulation. (i.e. Front two side windows are dual pain with a layer of polycarbonate in between. Yesterday, I was driving on the freeway next to a Subaru with a loud exhaust. I could hear a low rumble, but when I opened my driver-side window, it became 40d louder.)

Image stabilization.

You know how modern cameras have nice image stabilization for pictures or videos to smooth things out? I'd love to see that on the Tesla center screen. Me trying to touch a control on the screen in a moving car is a losing battle frequently. :)

I will add auto-open / auto-close frunk to the list.

Model Y has…
- Hands-free power liftgate. (Unless you are referring to the leg swipe under the rear of the vehicle to trigger the rear liftgate to open. I paid $60 for an after-market kit that I still need to install.)
- More comfortable…suspension. (i.e. “Comfort suspension is now standard on ALL Model Y’s—or at least LR and Performance.)
- Better noise insulation. (i.e. Front two side windows are dual pain with a layer of polycarbonate in between. Yesterday, I was driving on the freeway next to a Subaru with a loud exhaust. I could hear a low rumble, but when I opened my driver-side window, it became 40d louder.)

I agree the suspension has already been addressed.. although I have not had the chance to ride in a 2023 Y to see just how much comfort has changed. Where as the hands free liftgate (yes foot swipe) should be a standard factory feature by now and not something added aftermarket. It’s fairly standard on most new vehicles now and really no excuse for it to be missing off new Teslas.

As for the noise isolation.. I could not disagree more. My Y was build 03/21 and has the dual pane windows. Riding in my wife’s 2021 ID.4 the difference in noise levels are absolute night & day. Dual pane windows should be on all 4 doors now.. not just the front windows. And the car still needs better sound dampening insulation all around. That there are also aftermarket kits available to help seal up the leaky areas around the doors.. tells that this still an issue.

These are all very cheap improvements Tesla can make that will make the vehicles much more satisfying overall. Basically low hanging fruit.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Image stabilization.

You know how modern cameras have nice image stabilization for pictures or videos to smooth things out? I'd love to see that on the Tesla center screen. Me trying to touch a control on the screen in a moving car is a losing battle frequently. :)
Heard the best advice from YouTuber, @Gjeebs:
“Place your four fingers BEHIND the screen at the TOP, BOTTOM, or the SIDE and click on-screen wherever you need to click using just your free thumb.” (Same hand.) Works wonderfully during vehicle travel.

I agree the suspension has already been addressed.. although I have not had the chance to ride in a 2023 Y to see just how much comfort has changed. Where as the hands free liftgate (yes foot swipe) should be a standard factory feature by now and not something added aftermarket. It’s fairly standard on most new vehicles now and really no excuse for it to be missing off new Teslas.

As for the noise isolation.. I could not disagree more. My Y was build 03/21 and has the dual pane windows. Riding in my wife’s 2021 ID.4 the difference in noise levels are absolute night & day. Dual pane windows should be on all 4 doors now.. not just the front windows. And the car still needs better sound dampening insulation all around. That there are also aftermarket kits available to help seal up the leaky areas around the doors.. tells that this still an issue.

These are all very cheap improvements Tesla can make that will make the vehicles much more satisfying overall. Basically low hanging fruit.
Well, better and more sound dampening is never a bad thing! I won’t disagree with you there, and I, too, would love to have dual pane glass on all four doors. For reference, I own a 2023 Model Y that was Austin-built (DD: 11/12/2022). I am much happier with my Comfort Suspension than when I test drove a Model Y Performance in JUL2022, but then air suspension would be amazing.

Do you know if Model S/X owners are able to hear their air compressor running underneath the car? I saw a YouTuber who complained about the compressor noise under the backseat of the RIVIAN R1S (SUV).