Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
Well, better and more sound dampening is never a bad thing! I won’t disagree with you there, and I, too, would love to have dual pane glass on all four doors. For reference, I own a 2023 Model Y that was Austin-built (DD: 11/12/2022). I am much happier with my Comfort Suspension than when I test drove a Model Y Performance in JUL2022, but then air suspension would be amazing.

Do you know if Model S/X owners are able to hear their air compressor running underneath the car? I saw a YouTuber who complained about the compressor noise under the backseat of the RIVIAN R1S (SUV).
Yeah, Im actually pretty excited to try a 2023. Will almost certainly do a test drive with Tesla or just rent an MYP from Hertz for the weekend.

Have to admit i have zero experience with the S/X. I've not even ridden in one as a passenger. One of the reasons I mention adaptive suspension as it appears to be a pretty popular option with other premium EVs. Model Y competitors like the Mach-E GT & BMW i4 already offer it. I understand Tesla wants to keep costs low.. but even offering adjustable suspension as an option would be very awesome.

Yeah, Im actually pretty excited to try a 2023. Will almost certainly do a test drive with Tesla or just rent an MYP from Hertz for the weekend.

Have to admit i have zero experience with the S/X. I've not even ridden in one as a passenger. One of the reasons I mention adaptive suspension as it appears to be a pretty popular option with other premium EVs. Model Y competitors like the Mach-E GT & BMW i4 already offer it. I understand Tesla wants to keep costs low.. but even offering adjustable suspension as an option would be very awesome.
When you say “adaptive suspension” and “adjustable suspension”, I am assuming you are referring to air suspension, no??? (I don’t know if another form of suspension that is adjustable aside from air suspension.)

When you say “adaptive suspension” and “adjustable suspension”, I am assuming you are referring to air suspension, no??? (I don’t know if another form of suspension that is adjustable aside from air suspension.)
Nope.

The version Im most familiar with is the GM version is magnetic-based and apparently, a lot of other makers like Audi, Ford, and Ferrari are now using it: https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...chnology/gm-magnetic-ride-control-technology/

Here are some links describing what adaptive/adjustable suspension other makers are currently using:

Practically every major automaker now has this technology. The tell-tale sign that a vehicle is equipped with it is usually a dial or button with 3 settings (comfort, normal, sport). You basically dial up how stiff & sporty you want things to be.. or dial down how soft & luxurious the ride is. Its an extremely common option on premium vehicles like luxury and sports cars. I certainly understand the 3 & Y are not luxury vehicles or dedicated sports cars.. but they do command premium prices. Was just a few months ago a Model Y with every option selected was $90K before taxes.

Hell it is so popular, its now included standard on the top of the line Honda Accord Touring trim going back to 2018. This is car was commonly purchased brand new for around $36K:

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Nope.

The version Im most familiar with is the GM version is magnetic-based and apparently, a lot of other makers like Audi, Ford, and Ferrari are now using it: https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...chnology/gm-magnetic-ride-control-technology/

Here are some links describing what adaptive/adjustable suspension other makers are currently using:

Practically every major automaker now has this technology. The tell-tale sign that a vehicle is equipped with it is usually a dial or button with 3 settings (comfort, normal, sport). You basically dial up how stiff & sporty you want things to be.. or dial down how soft & luxurious the ride is. Its an extremely common option on premium vehicles like luxury and sports cars. I certainly understand the 3 & Y are not luxury vehicles or dedicated sports cars.. but they do command premium prices. Was just a few months ago a Model Y with every option selected was $90K before taxes.

Hell it is so popular, its now included standard on the top of the line Honda Accord Touring trim going back to 2018. This is car was commonly purchased brand new for around $36K:

I saw a YouTube video where a guy (I think it was @Gjeebs) got that type of after-market suspension installed on his Model 3 (Y???), and he tuned it all the way up (or down) and tried it out. You’re saying that is superior to air suspension? I’m skeptical.

Software:
- Parking sensors, since the ultrasonic sensors were deleted without my say-so
- Windscreen wipers that respond correctly to actual weather conditions
- Headlights that do more than write Tesla on my garage door
- Autopilot that isn’t terrifying to use (phantom braking horror)
- Arrival State of Charge Indication on the app so that I don’t arrive home to cheap charging having just charged to ensure I get there with 30%

Hardware
- Suspension that isn’t the shittest in the whole world. Ever
- ultrasonic parking sensors

Note that ALL of the above should be available, and were definitely expected, on a car costing the equivalent of US$80k

Software:
- Parking sensors, since the ultrasonic sensors were deleted without my say-so
- Windscreen wipers that respond correctly to actual weather conditions
- Headlights that do more than write Tesla on my garage door
- Autopilot that isn’t terrifying to use (phantom braking horror)
- Arrival State of Charge Indication on the app so that I don’t arrive home to cheap charging having just charged to ensure I get there with 30%

Hardware
- Suspension that isn’t the shittest in the whole world. Ever
- ultrasonic parking sensors

Note that ALL of the above should be available, and were definitely expected, on a car costing the equivalent of US$80k
What do you mean about headlights that write TESLA on the garage wall? Are you joking?

My (basic) Autopilot has never phantom braked once. However, it does brake late for red lights and sudden traffic, especially when following distance is set to 2 (it’s better when set to 7). Also, we have a large overpass with lots of lanes in all directions, and when driving straight across the overpass, the end of dotted lines from the left turn lane appear and Autopilot is thrown off by it. I have twice had Autopilot freak out on me and begin to steer my TESLA into the vehicle/s in the lane to my right. Had I not grabbed the wheel and stopped it, I believe there would have been a collision.

Why do you need to see SOC in the mobile app? Why don’t you just hit HOME on the navigation and let the TESLA show you the SOC for when you arrive home??? Why won’t that work?

I’m used to driving HONDA’s and old ACURA’s, so maybe I’ve not “tasted the sweet wine”, in terms of suspension, but I think my Model Y’s Comfort Suspension is much better than when I test drove a Model Y Performance in JUL2022. Sure, I’d prefer air suspension, but Comfort Suspension isn’t bad, IMO.

I don’t know why everyone makes such a big deal over the removal of USS and suspending software support for it. Maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing. Is it really such a big deal? If so, why???

Interesting experience. Can you share more? I have had vent/cooled seats on four different brand vehicles (MB, BMW, Genesis and Ram) and I have found none of them to be very effective.
When you compare it to non-ventilated leather seats, you will appreciate the huge difference, especially during the hot summer months. It gets worse with females with shorts because bare skin touching non-ventilated/cooled seats during the summer heat is very annoying and uncomfortable due to sweat.

Software:
Real FSD that actually works reasonably and isn't trying to kill me. Please focus on driving functionality, rather than fart noises, light shows, games, etc.
A display with useful design and functions suitable for humans, (who are driving a car).
Use software to detect driver attention and alert driver if needed, with a distinctive chime and/or verbally. Forcing driver's attention to display screen instead of windshield and mirrors is not good for safety.
When ANY normal function fails to work correctly, the software should automatically open a service request and alert the driver. Make customer service provided by the software instead of forcing customers into self service.
Rather than require a button press to enable voice commands, respond to a request that starts with <car name> or <car name> Please, e.g., "Ego, please open glove box".

Hardware:
Leather, perforated, ventilated, heated and cooled seats.
Adjustable headrests positioned for humans, that don't force driver to lean forward from seat back, or sit looking at their lap instead of the road.
A HUD, like serious automobiles have.
Power frunk.
Power rear seats, both fold and unfold.
Cameras that actually work, (broad spectrum). That would include working when the sun is or isn't shining, it is or isn't raining, snowing, or it is or isn't Tuesday.
Fully functional USB ports, not limited to just charging.
Automatic hardware updates during warranty period, covers all hardware changes, if approved by customer.
Spare tire. Include tire and jack or during warranty, provide full immediate quick response coverage.

Software:
Real FSD that actually works reasonably and isn't trying to kill me. Please focus on driving functionality, rather than fart noises, light shows, games, etc.
A display with useful design and functions suitable for humans, (who are driving a car).
Use software to detect driver attention and alert driver if needed, with a distinctive chime and/or verbally. Forcing driver's attention to display screen instead of windshield and mirrors is not good for safety.
When ANY normal function fails to work correctly, the software should automatically open a service request and alert the driver. Make customer service provided by the software instead of forcing customers into self service.
Rather than require a button press to enable voice commands, respond to a request that starts with <car name> or <car name> Please, e.g., "Ego, please open glove box".

Hardware:
Leather, perforated, ventilated, heated and cooled seats.
Adjustable headrests positioned for humans, that don't force driver to lean forward from seat back, or sit looking at their lap instead of the road.
A HUD, like serious automobiles have.
Power frunk.
Power rear seats, both fold and unfold.
Cameras that actually work, (broad spectrum). That would include working when the sun is or isn't shining, it is or isn't raining, snowing, or it is or isn't Tuesday.
Fully functional USB ports, not limited to just charging.
Automatic hardware updates during warranty period, covers all hardware changes, if approved by customer.
Spare tire. Include tire and jack or during warranty, provide full immediate quick response coverage.
A car that works and has normal car functions? You're really swinging for the fences here sir.

Reactions: legendsk
And a function that tell my wife to let her husband drive the car more often... :)
Ah yes, I need one that tells my mom the same thing. Sure, it's mainly her car, but I would like to drive it farther than around the driveway and over across the field to our garage where we charge it sometimes.

Features needed:
Yeah, a power front trunk would be cool
More games including Minecraft or see if you can get Steam to work on Model 3 and Y, especially since Sonic isn't there anymore.
Native SiriusXM would be nice since the way we use it now (With Amazon Echo Auto and my mom's phone) keeps losing signal because cell phone service sucks here.
Yeah, bring back the radar. Especially if it can see if anything is going to be under the front bumper.

Not sure how our Model 3 is going to be in the hot summers we have here since we got it last November. Probably have more requests then. (Like a fire proof skin because California is going to be burning down again.)

New aftermarket solution coming for those wanting a traditional style HUD:
HUDWAY Drive Tesla Model 3 & Y Edition
Thanks very very much for that link KJ.

This is the first one I've seen that looks reasonably functional. However, it's realy werid that it has the big open section in front. Many of the pictures have the steering wheel blocking that, so I surmise that it's as astoundingly weird and ugly looking as I fear. If you get one, please do show us "unbiased" pictures of it, and let us know what you think of it a few weeks in.

-TPC

Dear Fellow Teslites: Don’t trash me just because I’m critical. i do love my MYLR(*), but it ain’t perfect, not by a long shot.

I think what I’m mostly adding here, above and beyond all the good things mentioned above, are visibility enhancement features

VISIBILITY ENHANCEMENT FEATURES- The visibility is completely awful in this car.
1\ make tint optional - it makes the rear view uselessly dim
2\ Much brighter backup lights (so you can see better in the mirror as well as the camera)
3\ bumper camera (You can’t see the front either!)
4\ larger side mirrors (such that they take up to 3% off the range, not more)
5\ ****Transparent rear panel*** Lots of cars, like the Prius, have this, and it makes rear visibility much better. Camera doesn't do it for me, and you can't see the back camera when you glance in the rearview mirror.

AVOIDANCE AIDS
6\ object collision alerts in every direction, like any modern car (don’t care if they are uss, tesvis, or whatever
7\ overhead view for parking

DRIVING AIDS
8\ HUD speed, SOC, and next turn direction (like other good cars
9\ Cornering lights (do something useful rather than just spell out “Tesla” fer gawds sake

MISC CONTROLS
10\ Buttons for glove compartment (honestly that’s just so idiotic) and vents. Software controls for these things are just doorstop-dumb, batshit-crazy-stupid, and everyone knows it. Just admit it and fix it.

OFF-ROAD
11\ Any form of suspension that would allow you just temporary high clearance (because the driving clearance, in order to be efficient, is so tiny)

NAVIGATION
12\ Round Trip Charge Planning, full route importing from your computer, abetterrouteplanner.com, etc.

INTERIOR
13\ Upholstery that doesn’t show every tiny scuff, black is actually worse than white I think!
14\ interior lights that you can actually see something by
15\ Seat comfort could be improved; I wish the front seats had more comfortable headrests

EXTERIOR COSMETIC
16\ Light, cool (reflective) choice of paint color other than white, to keep the car cooler in the summer but not always look dirty (The smooshed bugs on the front bumper on white after a long drive, OMG!)

SIZE / CONFIG
17\ I would have been happier with a more compact hatchback. Other mfgrs have "miniaturized" the SUV with better results, honestly. The really long wheelbase gives us the awful turning radius and handling in tight spaces.

Other
18\ Battery to home backup (I think they call this vehicle to load).
19\ Conspiracy-nut-free leadership

---------------------------------------------------
* TO BE FAIR: Here are some things I really like.
Charger network is A+ (Just got back from a road trip in the remote backcountry, no problems.)
Acceleration at the cheapest option level is astounding
Offroad assist is another A+, just used it in the snow/ice
Range is good
Love the tight steering and the handling (crazy good for a big car like this)
I apologize to those of you with problems with Autopilot, mine works really well and I think its amazing (though sure, it could do windy roads much better).
Cubbys and interior storage really good. ; cupholders really work for me!
Sound is pretty good

Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

View attachment 888733
"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Several people in this thread have asked for CarPlay/Android Auto and/or car information in front of the driver. While it is not new, I just installed this display and I’m pretty satisfied so far. Hansshow 9” Linux unit - can display speed, charge, lights and CarPlay at the same time.

No, I don’t work for Hansshow …

Attachments

• DECC39BD-ED29-4E7A-AA99-C98793ED600B.jpeg
    DECC39BD-ED29-4E7A-AA99-C98793ED600B.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Daekwan