TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What features will I get with 'Autopilot Convenience'?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by gidso, Mar 13, 2017.

1. xnetco

xnetco Member

The self parking is a bitch. You have to be going less than 5mph well passed a space before it'll activate. Are you anywhere near Hertford?

2. arg

arg Supporting Member

That's a curious omission, since auto wipers are nothing to do with autopilot (my pre-autopilot car has them, as indeed did all cars from first launch in the USA).

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

They got rid of the dedicated sensor and are going to use the cameras instead. So all new development.

• Like x 1
  4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Can't say I've had that, but some people have clearly already known that "it's rather a lot" ... my stock answer is "I save £100 PER MONTH for every 10,000 miles p.a. driven [E7 electricity compared to Petrol / Diesel]". Seems like people can't do the mental arithmetic to convert that into annual discount against a finance deal :D so they wind up impressed and think I'm saving loads of wonga overall!!

You wouldn't be impressed with the ones on HW1 cars - I'm augmenting the automatic part with a button-push-single-wipe a lot of the time when the rain is light. That said, all the VWs we've had I hated the automatic wipers (they didn't wipe at anything like the timing I would want, and would be on double-speed in light rain, and completely fail to come on, quickly, when I drove past, and was deluged by, a truck). Not tried them in any high-end vehicles, but I still like set-it-yourself variable-speed wipers rather than rain-sensing ones.

5. mkaiser1

mkaiser1 Member

Can anyone give a confirmed answer to this (apologies if I've missed it in the thread)?
    I've had confirmation that our MX has "all the convenience features of the original autopilot but with AP2 hardware". It's an inventory car that we're collecting on Friday but I have to advise if I want to spend a further £2,400 on Enhanced Autopilot. If I already have everything that autopilot gave me on my old MS then I'm happy enough with that I think. If it doesn't self park or steer within a lane on a motorway or change a lane when I indicate though then I'm not really getting "all the convenience features of the original autopilot".

Any confirmation welcomed!

6. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

It's a good question. If you don't pay the extra money then you will get all of the AP1 functionality you currently have, but maybe not quite yet. Auto high beam and auto wipers are not available yet on AP2 hardware equipped cars yet. There may be other features, blind spot warning springs to mind that might be on AP1 and isn't on AP2 cars.

Eventually you'll get everything you have now, and any enhancements to AP1 cars in the future too. That's my understanding of the position.

• Like x 1
  7. mkaiser1

mkaiser1 Member

Thanks DJP31. Even Tesla seem to be struggling to answer this one so I appreciate your view.

If that's all the case, I'm not sure why I would pay for Enhanced AP unless I was going to move to FSD at some point.

Any views welcome though.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

It depends if you want the Enhanced features like Smart Summon, and automatic lane change or not. (Just a couple features in EAP that you probably wouldn't get with AP Convenience Features.)

9. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

It probably does depend on what sort of driving you do, and whether you want to be an early adopter of the new technology.

If most of your driving is around town the EAP enhancements over AP1 may not be so relevant as if you do 90% motorway miles.

I've held back on the FSD option as I just do see it happening in my ownership of this car (3 to 4 years) and most of my driving is suburban.

I know personally if I had AP2 hardware and had used AP1 fairly extensively I'd be paying the extra to unlock the new features, but that's just me!