Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features will MCU1 owners get with FSD computer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, I am sure.
AP does not shut down when triggering an event (that would be insane). Also as you can imagine storing 10 seconds @ 36fps x 8 cameras at ~2.5M per picture would require 7G of RAM where as there's only 4G available on the autopilot node. So they store this data in compressed form in the RAM buffer and when the event is triggered they dump it to emmc then.

There's plenty of free cpu on autopilot. What ther's not enough is ompression oomph to compress every frame twice - once for Tesla internal consumption and once for the dashcam, so since Tesla > you - you get nothing.

Got it. Two different compression ratios. Makes sense. But I'm assuming they're using a hardware codec, which would typically be part of the CPU, so I'd argue that this is still a CPU issue. :) Either way, CPU, GPU, codec hardware, there's not enough compute power somewhere.

Got it. Two different compression ratios. Makes sense. But I'm assuming they're using a hardware codec, which would typically be part of the CPU, so I'd argue that this is still a CPU issue. :) Either way, CPU, GPU, codec hardware, there's not enough compute power somewhere.
yes they use hardware codec. they use real high bitrate for internal consumption, a lot lower for the dashcam.

It's only a hardware issue if they want to keep doing both. Given that we know typically there are no triggers when the car is parked - giving people abilty to record footage in sentry mode makes sense.
Also given that you can opt out of video collection - would make sense to let people have dashcam in those cases too.

yes they use hardware codec. they use real high bitrate for internal consumption, a lot lower for the dashcam.

It's only a hardware issue if they want to keep doing both. Given that we know typically there are no triggers when the car is parked - giving people abilty to record footage in sentry mode makes sense.
Also given that you can opt out of video collection - would make sense to let people have dashcam in those cases too.

Either way, it should take care of itself for FSD folks when they get the HW3 upgrade.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Until an MCU1/FSD vehicle receives the HW3 upgrade, the ability to upgrade MCU1 vehicles with HW3 remains an open issue.

I've scheduled 36K mile service (under our service agreement) and have specifically requested MCU2 and HW3 upgrades as part of the service request. While I doubt either will be done, at least I'll have a response from Tesla and have an opportunity to get a statement from Tesla specifically about our configuration and their intentions.

Reactions: Watts_Up

I agree re: Sentry Mode, but I disagree re: opt out. While I'm generally against data collection and applaud them for providing the option to opt out, my argument here is that as long as they can benefit from that data collection, it is not in their best interest to encourage people to opt out, which the reward of dashcam would do.
Until an MCU1/FSD vehicle receives the HW3 upgrade, the ability to upgrade MCU1 vehicles with HW3 remains an open issue.

I've scheduled 36K mile service (under our service agreement) and have specifically requested MCU2 and HW3 upgrades as part of the service request. While I doubt either will be done, at least I'll have a response from Tesla and have an opportunity to get a statement from Tesla specifically about our configuration and their intentions.
While I could be confusing him with someone else, my understanding is that verygreen is a well-known Tesla modifier who has, in fact, upgraded an MCU1 Tesla to MCU2 and also upgraded an MCU1 Tesla to AP3 without doing an MCU2 upgrade (even though no one has yet ever indicated that a Tesla service center has taken either of these actions). This doesn't make him an official Tesla mouthpiece, and there could be something he has overlooked that would prevent the MCU1-AP3 combination from providing FSD, but it seems unfortunately unlikely to me. In spite of that, his input is actually probably more accurate than any feedback you will get from someone at your service center. Personally, I'd really like MCU2 mainly for the rear dashcam, although I wouldn't mind all of the other features it provides. Even if I am confusing verygreen with someone else, that someone else has still provided the aforementioned actions, and those actions thusly back up his statements.

Had my s with MCU1 and AP2.5 upgraded to FSD computer yesterday. No issue with MCU1 although I have been told some visualization will not appear unless you have the mcu2 upgrade. However this does not affect FSD. Just driver visualization is limited.
Interesting stuff. Are you able to advise what visualisations you don’t get on the MCU1?
What visualisations do you get on the driver’s screen?

Are you able to advise what visualisations you don’t get on the MCU1?
From Any HW3 updates to MCU1 Model X or Model s? it looks like MCU1 can render fewer things, so there's no option for "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview" which currently show many road markings such as arrows and potentially future updates showing road edges. However, MCU1 and FSD Computer does allow for Stop Control feature, and the display shows why the car is stopping, e.g., traffic signal with color, stop sign, painted STOP.

Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
that's also incorrect.

traffic cones work just fine on mcu1
Not true, I have MCU1 and upgraded FSD computer. I see simple traffic lights and stop signs. I do not have any of the graphics the new MCU2 has, like garbage cans, traffic cones, arrows on the street. Aslo backup camera views are not recorded in any mode. SC said I will get those with the MCU2.

Not true, I have MCU1 and upgraded FSD computer. I see simple traffic lights and stop signs. I do not have any of the graphics the new MCU2 has, like garbage cans, traffic cones, arrows on the street. Aslo backup camera views are not recorded in any mode. SC said I will get those with the MCU2.

Sorry, I have a MS 75 Aug 2017, MCU1, AP2 2.5 with FSD computer.

Sorry, I have a MS 75 Aug 2017, MCU1, AP2 2.5 with FSD computer.
This is true even for MCU1/FSD (or HW3) computer on MCU1/AP2.
No trash cans, traffic cones or arrows on street but traffic lights, stop sign visualization. AP will react t trash cans or traffic cones if it is in the way just does not show any visualization on IC screen. Also no rear camera recordings for dashcam/sentry mode (only front, left/right repeater camera recordings).