Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What floor jack to use with pucks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a new floor jack. I already have the Model Y/Tesla specific "pucks", but need a floor jack that works with it.

I will really only be using this to change my summer wheels to winter wheels (and vice versa) at my home garage (and not carry it with me in the car).

The car will also not be lowered, and will remain at the stock height.

I was thinking of using this one, but not sure if I need a lower profile:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00132CGE...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I ordered one of these Rennstand jack stands:
Racing Red Edition Tesla "Safe Jack" for your Model S, 3, X, Y

Seems like I could just put my floor jack under it, and use it between the car and the jack, then at the right height, it would become a safety on top of the floor jack.

So now to just find a floor jack that would work. I'm thinking a 2-ton, but not sure how much space I'll need. Should I get the low profile I linked to?

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
I ordered one of these Rennstand jack stands:
Racing Red Edition Tesla "Safe Jack" for your Model S, 3, X, Y

Seems like I could just put my floor jack under it, and use it between the car and the jack, then at the right height, it would become a safety on top of the floor jack.

So now to just find a floor jack that would work. I'm thinking a 2-ton, but not sure how much space I'll need. Should I get the low profile I linked to?
There has been a lot of talk about those beat the heck out of your jack points. I think even when people use the pucks they find some bending and such of the circles the jack pucks go into. Sounds like there might be some wiggle or flex or something during the jacking process, otherwise those are great for getting the car on jack stands...

I always highly recommend QuickJacks, as they're extremely safe. They're not cheap but they offer 2 feet of clearance to work under your car. I realize it's pretty much a moot point for these cars as there isn't really anything to work on under the car, but these things are solid.

I always highly recommend QuickJacks, as they're extremely safe. They're not cheap but they offer 2 feet of clearance to work under your car. I realize it's pretty much a moot point for these cars as there isn't really anything to work on under the car, but these things are solid.
I think it is a moot point. I was going to get 'SafeJacks' but then I realized I'll never really be under the car, just jacking it up to change a tire, so I don't really need a jack stand....

On my last car, I just used the spare tire jack for changing wheels. It seemed just fine. Since there's no spare tire jack, I was thinking of just getting a nice setup anyway. The Rennstand seems (nicely) overkill, but safe. I have an old floor jack that should work, but it's close to 18 years old now, I don't even know what weight it can hold.

Do you guys know what clearance I'll need with the Rennstand? I just want to make sure the jack I get will clear everything.

I wouldn't use the Harbor freight jack stands, but the Jack that I linked is the same as a SnapOn. The fact that the Arcan weights half of the one I linked suggests that it is lighter duty. 3ton Steel vs. 2Ton Al. Its missing a lot of the bracing in the arm.

From my understanding the recall was also not due to material failure, but that the design of the jack stand allowed it to unlock if bumped or something. Yes that’s still a huge safety issue, but to me far better than a material issue where metal is bending or cracking due to fatigue or something.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Here’s the quick jacks. Although there’s not
Much to look at under there.

https://i.ibb.co/gwz4B1z/5-F76428-F-7-FE6-4571-B3-C8-5023-E82-A0-CA4.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/VYrGVV7/EFBC28-B7-3-CDD-41-C9-859-A-A6327-D2-BBFBA.jpg
5ht3TTN

6bgXfhg

I just used this harbor freight jack to change the Y tires today with a puck. It fits fine under.

discount tire uses 3.5 ton American Foundry and Forge floor jacks when changing tires. I might get their low profile 2 ton jack. It looks pretty nice.

https://www.affjaxx.com/service-jacks

If I’m crawling under the car I’ll use jack stands or I have a quick jack.

the HF jack is fine for changing a tire.
C8F3A17A-6ABF-4BD0-B72B-49D2175385CA.png
40E0E539-59B1-4212-9BB6-6712C0FF2644.png

Last edited: