Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What fluid to use for drive unit differential?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
So with the new service requirements of changing the diff fluid once at 12K/1year, I'd like to go ahead and so on my front du diff. My rear was done twice already as they had to replace a leaking seal twice. The front has not been done. It's not a requirement for me from a warranty standpoint but if they're doing it now they must have enough data to show that breakin crud is a real thing from the gears.

Is the fluid requirement documented anywhere? I think I'll ask service but I suspect they may not tell me. The owners manual does not specify the fluid viscosity.

Looks like all you need to do is remove the underhood storage unit then remove the drain plug and fill it back up. I haven't done it - or have a FDR but seems straight forward.

Here’s a video showing how to do the rear unit on Model S. Hardest part is removing the shielding, unless you don’t have a fluid pump. By the way, they make less-fancy pumps that screw right onto the bottle.

According to my SC, the DU fluid replacement started with newer manufactured vehicles. Not sure when the cutoff date was, but my 11/16 build wasn’t necessary. Just had the first service done last week and they didn’t change fluid.

According to my SC, the DU fluid replacement started with newer manufactured vehicles. Not sure when the cutoff date was, but my 11/16 build wasn’t necessary. Just had the first service done last week and they didn’t change fluid.
You might want to get a second opinion or do more research. The change to do the DU fluid change as part of the first annual service went into effect in February of 2017 IIRC. I had mine done in May, for my 9/2016 MS and they did the fluid change.

My SC says there is NO requirements to change differential oil at any time. I asked. They said ""we don't do that""
Anyone have the page in any Tesla manual to prove them wrong????
Help me out, I can't find it
They dropped this requirement/recommendation quite some time ago.

“Your Tesla does not require annual maintenance or regular fluid changes.”

So much conflicting information on this but my current manual doesn't say that the drive unit fluid needs to be replaces. Goes against everything I learned in that past about cars but I will say this. It makes sense to change the fluid if you plan to keep the car well past its warranty.
It use to be a normal maintenance item. I think it was supposed to be changed at around 10,000 miles, but can’t remember exactly. I had mine replaced. I wonder if Tesla Service even offers that as a service anymore.

My SC says there is NO requirements to change differential oil at any time. I asked. They said ""we don't do that""
Anyone have the page in any Tesla manual to prove them wrong????
Help me out, I can't find it
There is no such thing as "lifetime fluid" oil goes bad and needs changing I do mine at the 100k mile mark which is pretty standard for a differential. The manual doesn't have anything that has an interval for changing it but it 100% needs to be changed periodically as does all oil.
You can say you want an oil change and they will do it but it's about $300 which is why I went the route of DIY.

I have 4 gallons left of Mobil SHC 629 if you wanna buy 2 quarts for your front motor since it's impossible to buy in less than 5 gallon buckets which is how I have so much.

Reactions: David Harvey
There is no such thing as "lifetime fluid" oil goes bad and needs changing I do mine at the 100k mile mark which is pretty standard for a differential. The manual doesn't have anything that has an interval for changing it but it 100% needs to be changed periodically as does all oil.
You can say you want an oil change and they will do it but it's about $300 which is why I went the route of DIY.

I have 4 gallons left of Mobil SHC 629 if you wanna buy 2 quarts for your front motor since it's impossible to buy in less than 5 gallon buckets which is how I have so much.
Ahhhhhh! I just ordered 5 gallons and came across this. 😢

The "annual service" section in Tesla's service documents even includes changing out the coolant as well as the drive unit lubricants. I will also mention the preamble of the service document does say not everything is required at every annual service, but it doesn't really tell me how to determine if and when. I'm signing up for the 100k miles or if you drive it hard, change your fluids.