Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Fluids are Needed for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's correct. The only thing you are responsible for is the windshield washer fluid and making sure your car meets the maintenance schedule. People are impressed when you show people there is no oil for you to check.

If you pop off the plastic at the rear of the frunk you will see the brake futile well as well as a coolant well (I think), but you really only need to worry about the washer fluid, as others has said.

I suppose if you do a brake job yourself the brake fluid would need doing, but that is one thing I'm personally not doing in my 4700lb golf cart.

Are you sure about there being a brake fluid well in the frunk area? This car has pneumatic brakes - it's stopped by compressed air. The e-brake is electrically actuated. AFAIK there is no brake fluid involved at all.

To my knowledge the only two fluids in the car are washer fluid and a gear fluid similar to transmission fluid that is changed every 120k miles.

Are you sure about there being a brake fluid well in the frunk area? This car has pneumatic brakes - it's stopped by compressed air. The e-brake is electrically actuated. AFAIK there is no brake fluid involved at all.

To my knowledge the only two fluids in the car are washer fluid and a gear fluid similar to transmission fluid that is changed every 120k miles.

There is battery pack cooling liquid and A/C coolant.

I'm pretty sure the brakes are hydrolic and require brake fluid just like the Roadster. They use an electric pressurization system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Umm... there is an air suspension option. But I'm pretty sure the Model S has standard hydraulic brakes. When I drove it, it didn't sound like a bus. There is of course an electric pump for the brake booster.

If you pop the top trim panel that covers the fuse boxes, you will see a standard hydraulic brake fluid reservoir marked with DOT 3, I believe. There is also a coolant fill bottle. As noted, the only cap visible without this panel removed is the windshield washer fluid.

If you pop the top trim panel that covers the fuse boxes, you will see a standard hydraulic brake fluid reservoir marked with DOT 3, I believe. There is also a coolant fill bottle. As noted, the only cap visible without this panel removed is the windshield washer fluid.

I always check my brake fluid when checking my ICE's other fluid levels, and assumed I'd want to do this on the Model S as well. As brake linings wear, it is sometimes necessary to "top off" brake fluid. Odd that they would "hide" this reservoir.

I talked with the engineer who built the brakes. Hydraulic but connected in an X pattern rather than standard front versus back.

The DS said the warranty is voided if we do anything other than add washer fluid or change wheels/tires. She specifically said not to add brake fluid.

Yeah, standard hydraulic brakes. You can see the brake fluid lines going into the calipers.

There is an additional caliper on the rear wheels, which I'm guessing are for regen. Those may not be hydraulic.

No, the motor does the regen. You're looking at the electrically actuated parking brake.

Likely wear on the pads will be very slow due to use of regen braking, and they can check the brake fluid level once a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nick70d
Man, too much guessing going on here. The second set of calipers are electrically actuated and are used for the parking brake. Regen of course happens within the motor.

I apologize. The function of the extra calipers on the rear brakes was just a guess. I've never owned a car with an electronic e-brake, so I assumed it was similar to how a manual e-brake works (within the rotor).

I'm also assuming there's a cabin air filter. Is that accessible/replaceable by owners?

Also, I'm sure the A/C system has some sort of refrigerent, right? Though it should need any replacing unless you have a leak or some other unexpected problem.

The cabin air filter is located in the upper left of the frunk. Remove the top panel and locate the hole the air is being sucked into. There is a filter that can be unclipped and removed in that hole. The brakes are vacuum boosted (electric vacuum pump) standard hydraulic brakes with ABS. The extra rear actuator is the electrically driven parking/e brake.

Be careful if you fill the fluids behind the panel. I think that in the owner's manual it says that if anyone other than Tesla employees do that it voids your warranty, if I am not mistaken.

Cheers.

I'm presuming the Australian supplement will negate that - it's illegal to restrict warranty in Australia on the basis of using a qualified third party mechanic for standard services (especially fluids). I am surprised they get away with it in the US and Canada?

I'm presuming the Australian supplement will negate that - it's illegal to restrict warranty in Australia on the basis of using a qualified third party mechanic for standard services (especially fluids). I am surprised they get away with it in the US and Canada?
It's illegal in the US, too. The Magnuson Moss Act prohibits "tie-in sales provisions". If someone properly puts factory equivalent brake fluid into their car and Tesla tells them their warranty is invalid, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.