Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What FSD improvements are needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have found it interesting that Chuck Cook has drawn enough of an audience to get direct TSLA response, and test cars in his neighborhood. While I trust people like Chuck can find more things to feature in videos, there are a number that I would like him and other public testers to get evidence of, feature, and drive improvement. What have you noted as a consistent issue that you would like featured on these channels? I am thinking to add comments to youtubers videos and ask for these things. Chuck has been good about responding so I know he will at least look and/or read.

Railroad tracks: I have never noted a slow down for potential or actual bumpiness in the road. Where I live most are asphalt roads right up to the track. Roads with concrete pad at the tracks seem to be smoother. I fear scraping the bottom of the car "landing" on the other side.

School buses! My road has a railroad track. A bus was stopped at the railroad track with lights flashing and the car tried to pass the stopped school bus.

Improper or annoying lane change. We note strange times where the car tries to change lanes without reason. Figured a pattern out last night. Situation was a divided road, two lanes each side, with periodic turn lane (left of the passing lane). I think the car quickly reads this as a third traffic lane, signals to get in the left/middle lane. The turn lane quickly disappears and the car goes back to the right lane. This looks and feels erratic. Perhaps the car should wait longer before thinking there is a third lane of traffic.

Better on and off ramp swerving when already on the highway. Does this really need to be explained to anyone?

We have one specific highway intersection, cloverleaf design. Basically we want to go from North on highway A, to west on highway B. We travel on A, go under B, loop around 3/4 of a circle to the on ramp at the top of grade. On and off ramp are a bit jammed up. The car has so far NEVER exited the onramp onto highway B. Left to itself it wants to follow the off ramp off B to end up travelling South on highway A, the opposite direction of where we were coming from.

Do you agree with these, have you experienced them?
What else do they need to put forth in public so TSLA will change FSD?

Curious if you’re talking FSD beta of production AP? The reason I ask is you mention Chuck Cook’s turn, but the on/off ramp swerving seemed to just be a production AP issue still. Our FSD beta car handles those much smoother/naturally than our production AP car

Curious if you’re talking FSD beta of production AP? The reason I ask is you mention Chuck Cook’s turn, but the on/off ramp swerving seemed to just be a production AP issue still. Our FSD beta car handles those much smoother/naturally than our production AP car

Really anything that needs improvement. I've hit the darn report button so many times on things and yet it seems Chuck gets the attention. If his UPL gets fixed, it would be nice if he took his audience (Elon and TSLA) along for rides on other things.

I wonder if there are issues with new highway construction. A highway around here was extended, the car still tries to slow from 70+ to 35 where the new road is.

If Chuck paid attention to the swerve, it might get fixed. I am used to it, it is a known factor, but it scares the %$#* out of people and might keep them from accepting such a car.

The march of nines is hard. Public views (Chuck and others) = TSLA effort = the nines scroll out = better public acceptance.

I had family in the car for the stopped school bus, now that is there primary reference for how good FSD is.

Reactions: TresLA
The most perplexing FSD beta behavior I've seen is that the vehicle doesn't use a turn signal when changing lanes into a turn lane. It only applies the turn signal when 200 ft from the intersection/actual turn - nearly all turn lanes in my area are well over 200 ft (500+ ft). Would think any lane change should use the turn signal - should be a simple fix. The vehicle then often turns into and drives on the shoulder of the road instead of a driving lane - the lanes are clearly marked - maybe a map issue?

Another turning issue happens when traveling on 55-65mph roads without turn lanes. The vehicle will significantly slow down several hundred feet before the turn, yet only applies the turn signal when 200 ft from the intersection. People behind me don't know why my car is slowing down so much without any turn signal on. This seems like an easy fix - apply turn signal immediately when slowing down for an upcoming turn.

Test ride fail! Need to do UPL again, that might have been better.

Everything else was just the same. One of these things is something I have pressed the darn report button over and over., not sure what happens. Railroad tracks would have sent me airborne twice. Onramp highway swung me into left late, grateful there was no traffic. Newish highway speed still slowed from 75 to 35. Off/on ramp interchange still no good. Still changed lanes thinking a third lane was added when it was just a brief turn lane.

I might have to get a go pro and start videos. Perhaps lots of views and interest like Chuck are what gets TSLA attention.

I hope that they do not release this wide for a while. Things happened today that newer drivers would forever write off FSD.

Not FSD exclusive...but on a say, 3 lane highway with 4 stoplights at the intersection. Left lane is the turn signal stoplight. Doesnt consistently detect when the left turn signal has gone green/doesnt give the chime if the other three stoplights are still red. Even in broad daylight, no rain, not blinding sun.

How can Tesla NOT get this simple scenario consistently correct?

Not FSD exclusive...but on a say, 3 lane highway with 4 stoplights at the intersection. Left lane is the turn signal stoplight. Doesnt consistently detect when the left turn signal has gone green/doesnt give the chime if the other three stoplights are still red. Even in broad daylight, no rain, not blinding sun.

How can Tesla NOT get this simple scenario consistently correct?
This will be fixed. One day. End of 2022.