Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What gain in Range will I get by shaving 6-7 pounds off the 20'' OEM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The calculation of rotational mass effect on inertia would be quite difficult. Too many variables.

Best is to see what type of range people that changed their 20” performance wheels to 18” aeros with the covers off get.

Rim only, don’t know the tire weight:
18” 235/45/18 Diameter 26.33” 21.6 lbs
20” 235/35/20 Diameter 26.48” 28.75 lbs

Difference of roughly 7 lbs

I don't think you can conclude this at all. The discussion has focused on weight but setting that aside, a more aerodynamic wheel of the same size can make a material impact on range...

As has been pointed out in this thread, given Tesla's fanatical devotion to aero efficiency, isn't it logical that the OEM 20" wheel was optimized to be as aerodynamically efficient as practical/possible already?

As has been pointed out in this thread, given Tesla's fanatical devotion to aero efficiency, isn't it logical that the OEM 20" wheel was optimized to be as aerodynamically efficient as practical/possible already?

I would say no, honestly. Highly aerodynamic wheels tend to be sort of hideous by popular design standards so their current offerings make some compromises for aesthetic purposes. Check out the aero wheels that used to be offered for the Model S. They improved range over the standard offerings by 5% but were not popular, presumably due to aesthetics.

Certainly that's true, but the OP only asked about weight.

True, although I guess maybe I would counter that the title mentions weight but the body of the message is sort of generally asking "can I change wheels for purposes of gaining range". Maybe the original poster didn't realize that aerodynamics of a wheel could make a material impact. Either way, I just want to be helpful in terms of trying to answer what I think I hear them really asking.

Are you considering the additional regen potential with the extra weight?
That would be something like 80% of 0.01%. Bear in mind the weight of the tires will do far more than the weight of the wheels, but even so it's going to be so small that virtually any other variable will overshadow it.