Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What gauge wire for HPWC install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What size wire has everyone been using for their HPWC install? The manual says #2 copper but that seems overkill. In the top entry extended back they shipped with the charger it only had #4 copper. I was thinking of getting #3 copper just to be safe.

Yea I've been mulling over those charts for a while now. The wire is rated 90* but apparently it depends on the "ratings" of what it is connected to. I could go to 4 gauge if I could use the 90* column. Or 2* if I have to use the 60* column. Also, I've read that cars qualify as "continuous load" so the max is 80% of the rating.

@BigAirHarper Here are a couple ideas:

1. Use what Tesla recommends
2. Call a local electrician and get a free quote and ask them to recommend a properly sized circuit for your load

Also, remember this. An undersized conductor that has too much current quickly becomes a heating element and then a fuse.

In other words, electricity is nothing to mess with. Voltage Shocks, Current Kills!

0.01 Amps will stop your heart
10 Amps or more on an undersized conductor will burn your house down

Hope that scares the crap out of you to not question the recommended conductor size for a particular amperage.

This has been said in a caring, not sarcastic or mean way.

Please get professional technical help if you are going to question Tesla or the NEC.

Mike

Yea I've been mulling over those charts for a while now. The wire is rated 90* but apparently it depends on the "ratings" of what it is connected to. I could go to 4 gauge if I could use the 90* column. Or 2* if I have to use the 60* column. Also, I've read that cars qualify as "continuous load" so the max is 80% of the rating.

@BigAirHarper Here are a couple ideas:

1. Use what Tesla recommends
2. Call a local electrician and get a free quote and ask them to recommend a properly sized circuit for your load

Also, remember this. An undersized conductor that has too much current quickly becomes a heating element and then a fuse.

In other words, electricity is nothing to mess with. Voltage Shocks, Current Kills!

0.01 Amps will stop your heart
10 Amps or more on an undersized conductor will burn your house down

Hope that scares the crap out of you to not question the recommended conductor size for a particular amperage.

This has been said in a caring, not sarcastic or mean way.

Please get professional technical help if you are going to question Tesla or the NEC.

Mike

Mike I am taking it very seriously. My electrician that installed my new sub panel and 50A outlet wanted to use #6 and that sounded too small based on what I had read online. So I'm doing my due diligence and also shopping for a new electrician.

Mike I am taking it very seriously. My electrician that installed my new sub panel and 50A outlet wanted to use #6 and that sounded too small based on what I had read online. So I'm doing my due diligence and also shopping for a new electrician.

For 50A, #6 is correct. With the HPWC, you are limiting yourself by going with this small of a breaker, unless you are plugging your HPWC into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The HPWC will handle a 100A breaker, which should utilize #2 wire in conduit.

For 50A, #6 is correct. With the HPWC, you are limiting yourself by going with this small of a breaker, unless you are plugging your HPWC into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The HPWC will handle a 100A breaker, which should utilize #2 wire in conduit.

Yea I'm going to go with #2 that way I have full power if ever needed. 50A will likely be all I ever need but ya know, nothing like over engineering a situation.

BTW I wish I could get my hands on a 182RG to fly. Still having to rent a 172 but currently looking at SR22 to maybe buy with a partner :)