Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to dash cam recording that elon promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said it's "Prob" coming in 8.3! Don't be surprised if it doesn't. Did he "promise" it?

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 11.09.50 AM.png

New owners, yawn. If Elon says you'll get A B C D E.... then count on A, maybe B, and remotely C... and D may require and upgrade, and E will likely never come. Oh, and all will take 5-15 times longer than expected. ;-)

Love Tesla, but you learn this over time. Some things like the what the original Summon was supposed to be have and never will pan out, probably the same for EAP even. Full Self Driving is a whole other story as well.

Elon Musk on Twitter

He promised an update that would let tesla cameras record as a dashcam over a year ago. Did he forget? This would be a huge feature and i dont see why it would be so hard as the hardware is already there?

It would be really nice to have this native Tesla app. I have a Blackvue, but I'd prefer the smooth interface I'm sure the Tesla dashcam app would have.

Is it really all that difficult to develop this software? I don't code, but I assume recording and archiving video is fairly straightforward. Is there some legal reason Tesla wouldn't want to provide a dashcam? Something seems strange.

lets just say for arguments sake dashcam mode becomes a thing, where would the videos be saved? are they gonna retrofit a hard drive into these cars?

The vehicle already saves this stuff...and more for Tesla to download remotely for diagnostics, crash reconstruction and so forth. To make snipits available in your My Tesla account doesn't seem like rocket science.

When I bought my Model S in 2012, I was told that I would be able to upload my music into the car's storage system. My '09 Cadillac would let me do this either via USB or by ripping CDs directly. Later, I was told, that Tesla decided to use this "hard disk" storage space for their own internal stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
The vehicle already saves this stuff...and more for Tesla to download remotely for diagnostics, crash reconstruction and so forth. To make snipits available in your My Tesla account doesn't seem like rocket science.

When I bought my Model S in 2012, I was told that I would be able to upload my music into the car's storage system. My '09 Cadillac would let me do this either via USB or by ripping CDs directly. Later, I was told, that Tesla decided to use this "hard disk" storage space for their own internal stuff.

Video is a lot more space intensive though. I have a 64gb card in my blackvue and it only holds 7-8 hours of video tops. I doubt the car's onboard storage even approaches that much space.

It would take a tremendous amount of data transmission to upload a couple full color video streams from every Tesla made. It then would need to be stored and archived. Someone would need to determine who could access it and at what price.

The cameras would be the easy part. What to do with all that data, and how long to store it would be another issue.

u-tube videos are usually relatively short. People would want these cameras running 24/7 with instant, on demand access.

It takes a lot of programming to set something like this up (all the while the same AP cameras are allowing your car to drive itself). I'd rather AP get better and install a Blackvue than worry about something like that...

I get that it takes a lot of programming but so does rocket science and this is not rocket science. And I know Elon knows rocket science. So this should be fairly easy. At least that's what my simple mind thinks.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony