TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happened to dash cam recording that elon promised?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ap3100, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ap3100

ap3100 Member

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  2. ap3100

ap3100 Member

3. outie

outie Active Member

He said it's "Prob" coming in 8.3! Don't be surprised if it doesn't. Did he "promise" it?

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 11.09.50 AM.png

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

It takes a lot of programming to set something like this up (all the while the same AP cameras are allowing your car to drive itself). I'd rather AP get better and install a Blackvue than worry about something like that...

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Tesla will go bankrupt if they offer it.... or am I thinking of something else....

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. travwill

travwill Active Member

New owners, yawn. If Elon says you'll get A B C D E.... then count on A, maybe B, and remotely C... and D may require and upgrade, and E will likely never come. Oh, and all will take 5-15 times longer than expected. ;-)

Love Tesla, but you learn this over time. Some things like the what the original Summon was supposed to be have and never will pan out, probably the same for EAP even. Full Self Driving is a whole other story as well.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  7. chilman408

chilman408 Member

It will roll out along with FSD.

• Funny x 8
  8. swgdan

swgdan Member

The most likely way to know that you are not getting a feature is if Elon says you are.

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  9. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

It would be really nice to have this native Tesla app. I have a Blackvue, but I'd prefer the smooth interface I'm sure the Tesla dashcam app would have.

Is it really all that difficult to develop this software? I don't code, but I assume recording and archiving video is fairly straightforward. Is there some legal reason Tesla wouldn't want to provide a dashcam? Something seems strange.

10. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Same bucket as complete 360-degree view and being able to use yer chariot as a hotspot. Oh, and stop sign reaction (versus mere plebeian recognition).

And the name of that bucket is...

Wait for it...

Here it comes...

Soon.

(You knew that was coming, right?)

• Love x 2
  11. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

lets just say for arguments sake dashcam mode becomes a thing, where would the videos be saved? are they gonna retrofit a hard drive into these cars?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  12. outie

outie Active Member

Probably usb drive/stick?

• Like x 1
  13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The vehicle already saves this stuff...and more for Tesla to download remotely for diagnostics, crash reconstruction and so forth. To make snipits available in your My Tesla account doesn't seem like rocket science.

When I bought my Model S in 2012, I was told that I would be able to upload my music into the car's storage system. My '09 Cadillac would let me do this either via USB or by ripping CDs directly. Later, I was told, that Tesla decided to use this "hard disk" storage space for their own internal stuff.

• Informative x 1
  14. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Video is a lot more space intensive though. I have a 64gb card in my blackvue and it only holds 7-8 hours of video tops. I doubt the car's onboard storage even approaches that much space.

15. joefee

joefee 3M+ page views on TMC Threads

Long list of things Elon promised....still waiting for onboard audio file storage on my Sig. LOL
    Bless his heart ... focus on what he has delivered!

16. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Probably a cloud server of some kind.

17. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

[​IMG]

18. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

19. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It would take a tremendous amount of data transmission to upload a couple full color video streams from every Tesla made. It then would need to be stored and archived. Someone would need to determine who could access it and at what price.

The cameras would be the easy part. What to do with all that data, and how long to store it would be another issue.

u-tube videos are usually relatively short. People would want these cameras running 24/7 with instant, on demand access.

20. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

I get that it takes a lot of programming but so does rocket science and this is not rocket science. And I know Elon knows rocket science. So this should be fairly easy. At least that's what my simple mind thinks.

• Funny x 1