Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to free supercharging for life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once upon a time at My Tesla it said I would have free supercharging for any new S or X I ever bought. Now that is gone and says free for the car I own. Besides being a horrible incentive to not buy a new car what is going on here?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-19 14.59.17.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-19 14.59.17.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: croman
I had the same statement on my account when I looked at it in late January and now it is gone. Made a copy of it but doubt it matters.

I bet this was in error and someone argued with Tesla, maybe got it, then Tesla fixed the wording... :-(

Once upon a time at My Tesla it said I would have free supercharging for any new S or X I ever bought. Now that is gone and says free for the car I own. Besides being a horrible incentive to not buy a new car what is going on here?
Your screenshot also talks about referrals of up to five friends getting free Supercharging, but the referral program is also no more. So, yeah, terms change.

It doesn’t say “ever bought”. That was your interpretation. At the time if you bought another S or X they would come with lifetime (of the car) free unlimited Supercharging.

It doesn’t say “ever bought”. That was your interpretation. At the time if you bought another S or X they would come with lifetime (of the car) free unlimited Supercharging.

Oh it did say that. For about 2 weeks in January 2017 I think it said free unlimited supercharging for life on this car AND on any future Tesla purchase (EDIT: I see OP posted the image!).

They changed it 2 weeks later to provide a definite timeframe (I think end of 2018). If you bought before then, your car has transferable supercharging for that car but the owner no longer gets the benefit like the original wording indicated.

Hi Msullivan,

Just like you, I had the same unpleasant discovery that Tesla silently removed this statement from my account.
Although they are probably legally in the clear, it just feels not the way to treat the loyal customer who bough into this premise when Tesla was only for those who were willing to take the risk as an early adapter. See my Post I started here: Breaking customer promises

Best, M.

Leaves them a demand lever to pull.

For the next 30 days, upgrade to a new Tesla and you get FUSC. They even could disable your trade-in FUSC to keep the numbers stable.

I have FUSC and let my wife know that she won't have FUSC on the Model 3. She was appalled - we probably SC 5 times a year and never a long charge. With the extra range of the 3, it will be 1-2 times per year.

Tesla originally marketed it as "Free Long Distance Charging on the Supercharger Network", and at some point that became "Free Unlimited Supercharging" - which is too expensive for Tesla to offer for customers without access to overnight charging or for commercial customers.

Would not be surprised to see Free Long Distance Charging return for the S/X family - restricting the free charging only for road trips, and excluding commercial use.

From a marketing standpoint, this was a great feature - and Tesla needs to do more to justify the higher price of the S/X family vs. the lower priced 3/Y models.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Supercharging as a primary power solution is not the experience that Tesla or Elon wants people to have. Waiting for an hour, daily or weekly is a lousy experience
Charging at home is an awesome experience.

Supercharging on the road and only when you need it isn't expensive and it keeps people away from the "free" electricity concept

I actually had paid-only Supercharging for my March 2017 delivery X. Went on a trip and paid $151 for it. Then Tesla decided to give away free Supercharging to owners. Over the next week or two we had free for our car and future cars, but it eventually ended at free for as long as we owned our X, nontransferable. Tesla refunded our $151 Supercharging costs. Just another one of those weird situations like FSD pricing recently. Nonetheless, we ended up with free Supercharging!

Tesla originally marketed it as "Free Long Distance Charging on the Supercharger Network", and at some point that became "Free Unlimited Supercharging" - which is too expensive for Tesla to offer for customers without access to overnight charging or for commercial customers.

Would not be surprised to see Free Long Distance Charging return for the S/X family - restricting the free charging only for road trips, and excluding commercial use.

From a marketing standpoint, this was a great feature - and Tesla needs to do more to justify the higher price of the S/X family vs. the lower priced 3/Y models.
Agree this would be great for especially the S and X to set them apart. But only give it for something out of the ordinary home base (maybe 100 miles/160 km away or so). That should keep people largely charging from home except if they need to go on a long distance trip. They could also add a subscription model pay $X for 3 years long distance supercharging, $Y for 5 years etc. More demand levers and cash flow that other OEMs are not able to do as they don't own their charging infrastructure.

Your screenshot also talks about referrals of up to five friends getting free Supercharging, but the referral program is also no more. So, yeah, terms change.

The portion about referrals is a completely separate sentence at the end of the statement that I have free Supercharging for life and all future purchases. This is bait and switch and removes any incentive I have to buy a new S until this one is run into the ground.
BTW: Superchargers in this part of the country are a wasteland. If there is one other car it is a rarity.