Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to FSD retrofits on AP2 + MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody;

I've been a long timer in TMC now and these days are the quietest I'm seeing this Model S section. Where is everybody? Why are people - who are usually very difficult to satisfy in this forum tbh - not complaining about the lack of a visible path to get FSD (i.e. HW3 retrofit) in their late 2016 to mid 2018 cars?

I love my 2017 S with AP2 and it is approaching 60k miles quick! Yet, when buying new the FSD feature almost 3 years ago, it was like a ticket to stay on top of technology with the ever-improving Tesla features. Now that HW3 is almost out for a year and people with MCU2 HW2.5 are getting retrofits, how come everyone (incl. owners, tesla and hackers) with HW2-MCU1 S/X is playing three monkeys.

Have I missed an announcement? Tesla has a huge hacker community with amazing feats and no one has tried to MCU2 and HW3 retrofit a car aftermarket? So nothing from inside the community and obviously nothing from Tesla. Some people must have finished leases already with no benefit on a feature they paid for.

Let alone V9-10's sluggishness that can't be hidden with any update or not having sentry/dashcam or not having a visible HW3 path, the fact that no complaining/discussion going on around this is very surprising.

Don't get me wrong I still love my car and take each moment to find an excuse to drive, to this day. Yet I wish they hadn't sold the FSD feature then, if they can't fulfill now. That being said fulfilling would probably be bad for them business-wise as I don't see any reason to upgrade my car for another 3-4 years at least should I get MCU2 and HW3.

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat disapointed.