TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happened to MR?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Gen3, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Gen3

Gen3 Member

just looking at the order page and MR is gone.

• Informative x 2
  2. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Rest In Peace Model 3 Mid Range. October 2018-March 2019. We hardly knew you.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  3. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Maybe they did not save much leaving out a few cells and the SR and SR+ really do have a new battery configuration that saved them enough to allow the price drop, maybe?

4. InParadise

InParadise Member

I’m waiting for my VIN. I hope they give me a deal!

5. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

6. J X 3

J X 3 Member

Was to be expected since they were wasting money by using the long range pack, this improves margins slightly.

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

It was just a stopgap model devised to let many Model 3 buyers who were waiting for the SR version to be able to get the full Federal tax credit before it halved at the end of 2018. Since the SR wasn't ready in time, they had to come up something quickly that was more affordable. The Lemur fulfilled its mission and is now largely superceded by the SR+ for those who want a bit more luxury than the base SR.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Oh boy, more complaining coming ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. Gordon87

Gordon87 Member

Also, just looked at the configuration page and there are no Estimated Delivery dates.

10. dnvr-ev

dnvr-ev Member

Tesla really has me nervous. They are making way too many changes way too fast and they look desperate right now.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Jbidwal

Jbidwal Member

What happens to current MR orders?

12. dnvr-ev

dnvr-ev Member

My guess as to whats going on.,.

SR+ is selling so well that they coverted all medium ranges into that by disconnecting some speakers and software locking the battery. Once they run out the model will discontinue.

They are only going to make two model 3 cars now:

SR with cloth interior: they will offer a battery unlock for $2,000 and will work on getting it cheaper to build so they don’t lose money on it. Either they keep making cost cuts or the price goes up.

Dual motor premium long range: the same car can be rwd, awd, or performance. Software upgrades and unlocks available for all trims so they can make more money later. $4k unlock front motor, $8k unlock performance.

• Disagree x 2
  13. nabeel

nabeel Member

Just ordered the MR yesterday, should I be worried and upgrade to LR?

14. dnvr-ev

dnvr-ev Member

I wouldn't be worried. The sr+ and mr is the same car. They can probably do a software update and sell it as either so they have them in stock.

• Disagree x 2
  15. nabeel

nabeel Member

Oh ok, I thought the MR had slightly different hardware, a different battery pack + speakers/woofer + homelink

16. dnvr-ev

dnvr-ev Member

They appear to be the same car. The sr+ battery cells are locked out. They disconnected some speakers. They disabled some features on the LCD. I bet sr+ owners get upgrade options later that let them unlock their cars into an MR.

If you have the money LR is just nice to have. I never have to worry about my battery getting low and thats good piece of mind.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. nabeel

nabeel Member

Makes sense, thanks

18. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

@dnvr-ev i doubt the front motor will ever be a software unlock. It’s expensive and it hurts range. The range part being key.

• Like x 2
  19. dnvr-ev

dnvr-ev Member

The front motor is less than $1k to build and if it’s disabled the rwd will still get 325 I bet. If the cheapest premium car is almost $50k they still make a nice profit. Look at the weight of the cars. They are all the same except standard range. Standard range will be different for sure. They can’t afford to put the extra battery cells or motor in it.

• Disagree x 2
  20. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

Range is like money in your bank. The more you have, the better you feel. However you feel that you never have enough ! ;-)