Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was just a stopgap model devised to let many Model 3 buyers who were waiting for the SR version to be able to get the full Federal tax credit before it halved at the end of 2018. Since the SR wasn't ready in time, they had to come up something quickly that was more affordable. The Lemur fulfilled its mission and is now largely superceded by the SR+ for those who want a bit more luxury than the base SR.

My guess as to whats going on.,.

SR+ is selling so well that they coverted all medium ranges into that by disconnecting some speakers and software locking the battery. Once they run out the model will discontinue.

They are only going to make two model 3 cars now:

SR with cloth interior: they will offer a battery unlock for $2,000 and will work on getting it cheaper to build so they don’t lose money on it. Either they keep making cost cuts or the price goes up.

Dual motor premium long range: the same car can be rwd, awd, or performance. Software upgrades and unlocks available for all trims so they can make more money later. $4k unlock front motor, $8k unlock performance.

They appear to be the same car. The sr+ battery cells are locked out. They disconnected some speakers. They disabled some features on the LCD. I bet sr+ owners get upgrade options later that let them unlock their cars into an MR.

If you have the money LR is just nice to have. I never have to worry about my battery getting low and thats good piece of mind.

@dnvr-ev i doubt the front motor will ever be a software unlock. It’s expensive and it hurts range. The range part being key.
The front motor is less than $1k to build and if it’s disabled the rwd will still get 325 I bet. If the cheapest premium car is almost $50k they still make a nice profit. Look at the weight of the cars. They are all the same except standard range. Standard range will be different for sure. They can’t afford to put the extra battery cells or motor in it.