Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t speak to total BOM. Not going anywhere anytime soon. But. It’s Tesla.
I was wrong about the SR+ being an MR. I didn’t know about the blanks and weights. What I think I am right about is that the SR+ is a placeholder until the SR can reach full production. Tesla wants the sales so they have stripped down what would be MR and LR parts to justify the cheaper cost and to get sales until SR production can be ramped up.

Is this true? Do you have any insight into why Tesla would sell this version when it takes many LR RWD sales away which earn the company $7k more?

I was wrong about the SR+ being an MR. I didn’t know about the blanks and weights. What I think I am right about is that the SR+ is a placeholder until the SR can reach full production. Tesla wants the sales so they have stripped down what would be MR and LR parts to justify the cheaper cost and to get sales until SR production can be ramped up.

Is this true? Do you have any insight into why Tesla would sell this version when it takes many LR RWD sales away which earn the company $7k more?

That price delta is the reason why SR+ won't be going away anytime soon. With MR no longer being offered, both the price and range gap between SR and LR is simply too large and SR+ probably has almost the same BOM cost as SR (other than the electric motors for the seat and steering wheel and two extra speakers) but gets a $2,500 price premium. If anything, SR will go away once all the reservation holders' cars are delivered and SR+ will be entry level trim for a while...

• Informative
Reactions: dnvr-ev
No. HW 3.0 will be installed soon on employee purchases who do so via special offer for FSD. Never mentioned anything about 2.5. You’re just inferring and trying to create a narrative. It was nice chatting.
I asked 3 times and finally got the answer. Thank you for that. I don’t care about narratives, I just want to know if FSD runs on 2.5 initially. There is a lot of cryptic talk on this forum or maybe I am not good at reading between the lines.

Last edited:
Elon has said everyone who buys FSD in a 2.x car gets HW3 free.

Repeatedly.

Consistently.

Since mid last year, and as recently as 12 days ago.

Anybody who still "isn't sure" just isn't being honest.
We know what Elon said. It doesn’t make it so. Tesla literally changes its mind by the hour. I am trying to find out from the source if FSD runs on 2.5 in its first version. No one with knowledge has answered that question. I bought FSD. I believe in it. I am excited. I took a risk. I still don’t know what I’m getting.

We know what Elon said. It doesn’t make it so. Tesla literally changes its mind by the hour. I am trying to find out from the source if FSD runs on 2.5 in its first version. No one with knowledge has answered that question. I bought FSD. I believe in it. I am excited. I took a risk. I still don’t know what I’m getting.

The fact that Tesla has rolled out stoplight detection on HW2/2.5 suggests that we will see some FSD features before HW3 becomes absolutely required. At that point Tesla will have to upgrade folks to HW3.

Reactions: dnvr-ev
We know what Elon said. It doesn’t make it so.

Yeah, it does though.

He's the CEO of the company and has repeatedly, explicitly, in writing, promised a specific physical deliverable to customers if you pay him money for something.

Not sure how you're still "confused" on this.

Tesla literally changes its mind by the hour.

Can you cite any other time Tesla promised a physical deliverable to customers for buying something from them, took their money for it, and then simply never delivered that thing (with no intent to ever do so) and kept the money?

Surely if it happens hourly you've got lots of examples....

I am trying to find out from the source if FSD runs on 2.5 in its first version. No one with knowledge has answered that question.

The question doesn't really make any sense.

"FSD" isn't like minesweeper, it's not one discrete specific program or anything. It's an ever growing collection of features.

Most of which will require more advanced HW than what comes in the car now- which is the entire reason Tesla spend years and a bunch of money to develop HW3 in the first place, and why they're starting to put it in all new cars here shortly (already in S/X supposedly).

Reactions: GigaGrunt
The initial feature (NOA) that will be included in "FSD" is already running on 2.5 within EAP. What is "its first version" in your mind?

I can't vouch for its accuracy but this might help: Tesla Changes Autopilot Feature Availability | Current Automotive
The first version will be autopilot except it stops at lights, signs, and crosswalks. Maybe it will auto turn if you hit the blinker. This will require handa constantly on the wheel and it will make as many mistakes as autopilot. That’s my guess. It may run on 2.5.