Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to my battery preheat?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy word wall Batman!

In fact, the car pictured in your "mic drop pic" happens to be a Model 3 if you look a the background. Gen 1 UMCs never came with the Model 3 so odds are pretty good that your picture actually proves my points that Gen 1 and Gen 2 possess equal potential for danger in the wrong hands and also that you have no idea what you're talking about. You're trying awfully hard to prove how much more dangerous Gen 1 UMCs are than Gen 2 UMCs to support your stance but it's just not the case.

Holy Mic Drop you’re wrong again, I guess I shouldn’t expect you to look at any details with your vague descriptions. But just like I said the owner of the Model 3 is not using a Gen 2 “MC” if you look what he says at the bottom.

Even better while I was at Tesla Service center getting more parts to do another aftermarket Prior Design Kit Install, and a customer showed up with his loaner car and charger. Guess what, his Gen 1 UMC completely melted and destroyed his 100 amp outlet. No surprise too me since I already know how common it is. If you would like my friend works there I’m sure he can text me a picture since you have such a hard time believing anything that hasn’t occurred to you.

Holy Mic Drop you’re wrong again, I guess I shouldn’t expect you to look at any details with your vague descriptions. But just like I said the owner of the Model 3 is not using a Gen 2 “MC” if you look what he says at the bottom.

I have Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 cable is thinner and seems less robust and gets a lot warmer during charging. Since I got several faults at the connector, I now secure the G2 to the garage wall and ceiling, and never pull more than 27A from it. I derated the Amps when I saw the adapter is stamped for 31A not 32. Tesla said it was good for 32, "But the regulators made us label it 31"

It is thinner as it will only go up too 32amps compared to 40 for the Gen 1. However it won’t allow you cable or adapter to overheat and melt etc. it will first try dropping the amps to 8 and if it’s still too hot it will shut off. Whereas the Gen 1 will not stop regardless. The Gen 2 actually has a built in serial # just so Tesla can get any info regarding potentially faulty wiring etc. it’s normal for the too get warm but not hot. You can charge at 32 amps if using a 50 amp outlet or 40 which is not common. You definitely don’t want to use the Gen 1 unless you can check it constantly and even than I would not recommend too. If it is a faulty outlet than you can basically guarantee to have the Gen 1 charger end up overheating and melting the connector as well as damaging the outlet and even potentially worse.
I honestly prefer to charge at 24 amps max unless having to use a supercharger. It will still give you 15-16 miles/hr which is plenty and I think it’s the best way to preserve the battery. Just from my own experience. I also charge to 90% always and 100% at least once a month

You definitely don’t want to use the Gen 1 unless you can check it constantly and even than I would not recommend too. If it is a faulty outlet than you can basically guarantee to have the Gen 1 charger end up overheating and melting the connector as well as damaging the outlet and even potentially worse.
I honestly prefer to charge at 24 amps max unless having to use a supercharger. It will still give you 15-16 miles/hr which is plenty and I think it’s the best way to preserve the battery. Just from my own experience. I also charge to 90% always and 100% at least once a month

My Gen 1 that came with the car sits in the trunk as a spare since it still has 3 yrs left on the warranty. No problems with it at all, and it will shut off if it detects ground faults or low voltage.

As mentioned before, have had problems with gen 2 shutting off, due to poor connection at the adapter. Only a one year warranty, but no problems in last 8 months since I strapped the unit to a hard surface.

Teslafi shows me that the car will rarely get out of calibration even after months at 55%. Even so, a charge up to 70 and a run down to 30 will regain the mile or two of missing range. Since the recent updates the fans and pumps run like crazy over 80%, even using MC at 27A...

Last edited:
My Gen 1 that came with the car sits in the trunk as a spare since it still has 3 yrs left on the warranty. No problems with it at all, and it will shut off if it detects ground faults or low voltage.

As mentioned before, have had problems with gen 2 shutting off, due to poor connection at the adapter. Only a one year warranty, but no problems in last 8 months since I strapped the unit to a hard surface.

Teslafi shows me that the car will rarely get out of calibration even after months at 55%. Even so, a charge up to 70 and a run down to 30 will regain the mile or two of missing range. Since the recent updates the fans and pumps run like crazy over 80%, even using MC at 27A...

The only way to know how much range you actually have or lost is too charge to 100%. If I stopped charging at 70%, 80% and even 90%( much more accurate at 90) my car would get an extra 15 mikes than what it actually does. So don’t let the percentages fool you into thinking you can just do the math and add the miles based on the time remaining cuz u won’t get close to that number.

Gen 1 do not shut off at all. The reason it’s stopping is due to your outlet no giving the amps it’s supposed too. It shuts off because its like the outlet has basically shut off to the charger if it isn’t supplying the amps it’s supposed too. For example you could be using a dryer outlet and it will stop but your dryer will still work, cause it uses less amps. It’s cause that outlet is no longer getting the amps it’s supposed too in order to tell the Gen 1 charger it is plugged in and to turn on. Than you have to go reset the breaker in order for it to start pulling the amps necessary for the charger to turn on. The same thing will happen with a Gen 2 charger. However your Gen 1 might be causing the problems so it’s actually hard to say without being you in your position to know. But it sounds like you might want to check it out.

FYI, the « unused » connector pins are used for 3-phase charging in Europe, with a Gen1 cable and a P17 16A 3 phase (red) UMC adapter.

The Gen2 cable doesn’t have anymore the two additional phases (pins are empty) and the UMC adapter doesn’t work anymore. This likely explains why the cable is thinner, as two phases were removed. This likely reduced the cost and allowed a more flexible and compact cable, easier to store. They are selling a dedicated cable for P17 3 phase charging, so this is not anymore available by just switching the UMC adapter.

This was quite cool as you could charge 3x16A 230V, so 11kW, from the mobile connector.

Tesla 16A 3-phase Red Gen1 UMC adaptor - Xavelec

Last edited:
FYI, the « unused » connector pins are used for 3-phase charging in Europe, with a Gen1 cable and a P17 16A 3 phase (red) UMC adapter.

The Gen2 cable doesn’t have anymore the two additional phases (pins are empty) and the UMC adapter doesn’t work anymore. This likely explains why the cable is thinner, as two phases were removed. This likely reduced the cost and allowed a more flexible and compact cable, easier to store. They are selling a dedicated cable for P17 3 phase charging, so this is not anymore available by just switching the UMC adapter.

This was quite cool as you could charge 3x16A 230V, so 11kW, from the mobile connector.

Tesla 16A 3-phase Red Gen1 UMC adaptor - Xavelec

Cable is thinner since it only has to account for 32 amps instead of 40 amps

I would stay away from these third party adapters. This was one of the reasons Tesla came out with the Gen 2 cause u can’t add these adapters that are so readily available to them. There are two companies who actually took the time to create identical Gen 2 adapters that have the chip etc. AC Works and EVSEadapters. However I would still only use Tesla’s equipment, but that’s just me. The one made by Tesla is fine but I suggest staying away from the others

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jan Fiala
Cable is thinner since it only has to account for 32 amps instead of 40 amps

I would stay away from these third party adapters. This was one of the reasons Tesla came out with the Gen 2 cause u can’t add these adapters that are so readily available to them. There are two companies who actually took the time to create identical Gen 2 adapters that have the chip etc. AC Works and EVSEadapters. However I would still only use Tesla’s equipment, but that’s just me. The one made by Tesla is fine but I suggest staying away from the others

Your reply shows that you read nothing carefully and talk out of your feet. I'll save you from the hassle of clicking on the link in my message and reading in detail, and select for you the most relevant part:

Official Tesla 16A 3-phase adaptor for use with Gen1 UMC.
  • Tesla part number 1024110-02-A, or part number 1024110-00-D
  • Connects directly to your Gen1 UMC supplied with Model S and X cars before June 2019

So this is an official Tesla adapter, sold by Tesla, and included in some older Tesla loaners.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I used the new Tesla Plus IOS app this morning to warm the battery for 15 mins. It was a little warmer outside (10 deg C) but I did have full regen available, makes such a difference to my range as I have a lot of hills.

Only problem with the app though is that as soon as I set the car to warm battery for 8am it starts charging right away... really annoying.

I used the new Tesla Plus IOS app this morning to warm the battery for 15 mins. It was a little warmer outside (10 deg C) but I did have full regen available, makes such a difference to my range as I have a lot of hills.

Only problem with the app though is that as soon as I set the car to warm battery for 8am it starts charging right away... really annoying.
It starts charging cause you have it set too. Lower it below where the car is charged too. Than when u want it too start move it accordingly. It will pull amps if it’s plugged in but won’t actually charge until you set it above the level it’s currently at

Got an update a few days ago (2019.40.50.7) that only listed bug fixes, warmed my car up this morning and saw the battery heating icon was back.

Attachments

• 29D2B65B-E146-41B8-9951-7BE439BEC361.png
    29D2B65B-E146-41B8-9951-7BE439BEC361.png
    980.5 KB · Views: 63
Yep, yesterday afternoon I preheated my car via the app before leave work, the outside temp was about 35 degrees. After a minute or so the battery icon did show up on the climate page of the app. Ended up preheating for longer than I intended, like 30+ minutes, and when I left I did have full regen immediately. That preheat cost me 5kW. I'm on 2019.40.50.1.

Reactions: EVSteve
Got an update a few days ago (2019.40.50.7) that only listed bug fixes, warmed my car up this morning and saw the battery heating icon was back.
So I’ve never seen the battery warming icon yet but this is my first full winter with my model S. My 2014 P85D is still on 2019.40.2.3. Does it appear when you activate climate control? Or do you have to use scheduled departure? My problem is that I can’t plug in at home (for now... building a house soon fully optimized for electric car charging), so I typically preheat the car via the app a few minutes before I get in to go to work. I’d love to preheat the battery too so I can actually have some regen in the cold weather.

Ended up preheating for longer than I intended, like 30+ minutes, and when I left I did have full regen immediately.
I also preheated for longer than I’d intended to (20ish minutes), and noticed I had full regen. Last winter (and since the beginning of the feature) I remember you could preheat for hours and it would only heat the battery enough to offer half regen.

Not only did they fix the bug, but they made it better! My 30mi average energy usage was about 25% lower this morning having full regen available vs yesterday when I didn’t preheat and started with none.

I also preheated for longer than I’d intended to (20ish minutes), and noticed I had full regen. Last winter (and since the beginning of the feature) I remember you could preheat for hours and it would only heat the battery enough to offer half regen.

Not only did they fix the bug, but they made it better! My 30mi average energy usage was about 25% lower this morning having full regen available vs yesterday when I didn’t preheat and started with none.

Was your car plugged in? Did the battery heating icon appear in the app immediately when turing on the cabin heating?

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323