TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happened to substituting side mirrors with camera?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by steph280, Jan 18, 2016.

1. steph280

steph280 Member

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In the US the DOT mandates that all cars have side mirrors.

3. JER

JER Member

A BMW i8 based prototype has this already.

From the video: "The system isn't perfect, and BMW is working on how it can be incorporated into current safety regulations."

4. David99

David99 Active Member

Laws can be and are changed to adjust to current technology. It will be a matter of time. I used to work for BMW and they had side cameras planned more than 15 years ago for the 7 series cars. I think back then cameras weren't good enough in low light to be able to replace mirrors. That's definitely the case today.

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

6. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Laws about rear views differ from one jurisdiction to another. Most state vehicle codes specifically require mirrors for rear views. I think I read somewhere that recently the US Department of Transportation have taken up a work group to come up with a universal vehicle code on rear view equipment. It will probably be a few years until cameras replace mirrors.