TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happened to Teslas plan for 2000 roadsters a year and a 5 door sedan?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Iamthecaliflower, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Iamthecaliflower

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

ehhh... a lot happened between then and now, much of it is chronicled in these pages. Take some time to look around.
    Watch Revenge of the Electric Car.
    The wikipedia history on the Model S has a brief timeline: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Main thing is, though some of the goals have taken longer than hoped, they appear to be on track.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

....and it won't affect your precious stock price :tongue:

But yeah, since 2009 Tesla has become a stronger company in my opinion. Not sure if that's when the executive shuffle happened, but it's around when i began to hear things I liked and followed the company closer. I think back then the S was scheduled for late 2011, so the date has slipped 6 months, but not much else has missed the mark

4. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

The reason that they are not selling the roadster in the US (but still outside the US) is that the exemption for non compliant advanced air bags in low volume cars has expired, see here:

end of advanced airbag exemption

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#5 dhrivnak, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    Another issue is the base frame and body for the roadster is no longer made by lotus. This is also the end of their run for this model.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

This was the biggest reason; Lotus is retooling to launch a spate of models of their own over the next 4-5 years and couldn't continue doing this for Tesla. In any case, Tesla had always intended the otherwise-hand-assembled Roadster to be a limited run car primarily to serve as a proof-of-concept highway-capable, no-compromises sports car. Model S, X, the Roadster 3.0 and the Bluestar were always the real goal with production lines established at a real factory.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I would challenge anyone to find something pre 2009 from Tesla that says the Roadster will be a limited car run.

I remember an analyst saying he would be surprised if Tesla sold 2000 cars a year. Compare that to Ferrari's sold per year.

Not that I mind. It's just a changing of a plan and that happens all the time. Guy Kawasaki's books talk about Apple launching as a spreadsheet computer. They shifted when the customers started using them as desktop publishing machines.

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Wow, an analyst who ended up being right! I wonder what that analyst is saying about the Model S.

9. doug

We've covered this in other threads, but yes the original plan with the Roadster was to sell about 2000 a year. Not about 2000 total.

There were some delays and cost overruns. The 1.5s (2008MY) Roadsters ended up costing more to produce than what they were selling them for, which required a last minute price increase that angered some early customers. That stuff was worked out by the (2010MY) 2.Xs.

The end of the airbag exemption and Lotus changing their production line ended the Roadster this year. But I think if Tesla could have sold 2000 Roadsters per year in 2010 and 2011, they would have produced them.

10. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

You're head monitor and have over 6K posts :love: ... I'm sure you'll have the goods on me, BUT I seem to remember that they said they'd produce almost 2K cars total; not per year. I'm sure it will only be minutes until I am corrected :redface:

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Many interviews with Martin have Tesla goals of selling 2000 a year.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So pre-elon?

13. doug

According to Elon, there is no pre-elon. But I think that was still the stated goal even after he became CEO in 2008 (after Martin, Michael Marks, and Ze'ev Drori). Back when Martin was the face of the company, he put it as "a few thousand cars a year," suggesting maybe an even higher initial goal.

14. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

But that was when they thought they could make money on a, what, sub $80K max'd out car too, right? I think the miscalculation of the car price, even to the extent of having to make some original included features pay-for options, really changed the goal. They always had a hard calendar end at 2011 because an extensive redo would have been required for the US airbag system, so I'm not sure there were plans to go further than end 2011 with the current Roadster anyway. Who knows, maybe they thought the waiver extension would be easy. Still, they probably had a goal nearer 6000 being sold rather than 2000. As bad as the economy got, they're probably lucky they got as many sold as they did. I'm just personally glad they got 562 built and sold. Fisker Karma (just thought I'd use the topic title at least once.)

15. DrTaras

Best line I've seen in years! :cool:

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

^+1

17. DrTaras

I thought that I had read it was 2000 total, but majority rules so I'll eat my humble pie.

That being said, I went looking for those original "White Papers" that Tesla (Martin) had posted on their original web site, but don't find them anymore.
    http://www.teslamotors.com/media/white_papers.php

Ideas where to look?
    I thought one of them more discussed the business model of Tesla with the path to all the insert-color-"star" cars.
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/867-21st-Century-Car-Whitepaper?highlight=white+papers helped me to find one
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/greendorm/participate/cee124/TeslaReading.pdf

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Obviously things change over time, but:

The Song Remains the Same | Blog | Tesla Motors
    (December 21, 2007)
    Teslas First Electric Vehicle, 2008 Roadster, Now Under Production
    (March 20, 2008)

19. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Well, the five-door sedan is here in the Model S. That is, if you count the rear hatch/trunk as a fifth door. It probably should be, especially for those that opt for the jump seats.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The quote (at least the one TEG included) was 5-passenger not 5-door. The S is 5 (base) or 7 (with jump seats) passenger. No "count" regarding the hatch involved.