Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the 80amp charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to get a second Tesla 80 amp wall charger. I see it is no longer available. What happened?

Typical advances usually means that things get stronger, faster and more powerful. With the availability of 400 amp home feeds, having the latest chargers exceed 100 amps wouldn’t have surprised me. I’m surprised that the max amps dropped to 48.

I wanted to get a second Tesla 80 amp wall charger. I see it is no longer available. What happened?

Typical advances usually means that things get stronger, faster and more powerful. With the availability of 400 amp home feeds, having the latest chargers exceed 100 amps wouldn’t have surprised me. I’m surprised that the max amps dropped to 48.

"what happened" is all the tesla vehicles have a max L2 charge rate of 48amps. This requires a 60amp circuit. There is not a preponderance of "400 amp home feeds", its quite the opposite, at least in CA. The "average" new home is 200 amps, and most old homes are less than that. Anything more than 60amps required different setup in newer electrical codes.

Since no current tesla has more than 48 amps, they made a new wall connector that only supports that as a max. Saying all that, however, I like the gen 2 one much better myself and found one someone was selling still new in box. It cost me more than buying a gen 3 new though, but for me it was worth it since I already had 1 gen 2 wall connector, and wanted to get power sharing setup.

Only some older teslas have the capability of 80amps so they removed that capability.

If you start electrifying everything, a 400 amp feed on a new house makes sense - at least for a big house.
There is very little practical need for 80 amp home charging.
Hopefully, cars get more efficient and they get more miles from the 48 amp charging so it goes both ways. Also as range goes up, who the heck needs to charge fast at home. For the rare instance, we now have more superchargers.
Given that most new cars are significantly more efficient than a 2013 S85, we are getting by with less. Also the supercharging speed is crazy high on new cars - again limiting the need to charge faster at home.

yeah i was in the same boat i have the black elon signed one at my moms house for when i visit, and I'm looking at buying my own place and wanted a HPWC ready to install once i find a home.
you can still get a older Gen 2 HPWC on ebay but the prices are crazy usually $1000 for a used Gen 2. However, there are a few gems out there i scored a brand new factory sealed gen 2 HPWC for $500 last month. so just keep looking on ebay and you might find a good one for cheep.