Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What just happened to CPO listings?

I peruse the official CPO site and ev-cpo.com for fun (already took delivery of my CPO), but I just noticed a pretty huge change. I checked earlier today so this must have just happened. Did total listings (as shown on ev-cpo.com) just drop from like 400-ish to <150? The lowest price S earlier today was around $50k, but now it's ~$59k. What just happened? Tesla remove a bunch for some reason?

It happens every so often that Tesla pulls them then re-adds them, not sure why. This also didn't just happen, it was like this this morning.

Actually it was mostly sometime between 4:15p and 6:30p Central time. I checked the logs on my scanner and that's the time range when it dropped off. (there was 379 at 4:15 pm, 196 at 6:15 pm, 137 at 6:25 pm, and down to 125 at 7:15 pm)

Canada is down to 5 CPO cars (from 25 or so before), which would be an odd thing to do intentionally. If I was to guess, some kind of website maintenance, maybe mass repricing, maybe refilling loaner fleets, or maybe simply someone in IT dropped the wrong table in the database and waiting for the senior geek to come to work in the morning? ;-)

The MS loaner I got 2 weeks ago at the Dallas SC was VIN 16k, from mid-2014. It's hard to believe it's been a loaner this long, I suspect it's a CPO car? If so, that would explain sudden decreases in CPO inventory. They pull CPO cars to use as loaners when they're low.

The MS loaner I got 2 weeks ago at the Dallas SC was VIN 16k, from mid-2014. It's hard to believe it's been a loaner this long, I suspect it's a CPO car? If so, that would explain sudden decreases in CPO inventory. They pull CPO cars to use as loaners when they're low.

They can still have a car listed as a CPO car and still use it as a loaner. In fact several forum members have posted that they were given a loaner that is listed as a CPO car.

It would drag down the perceived value of the more desirable CPO cars in inventory.

But isn't this a matter of incurred depreciation and what the market will pay?

Assuming the wholesaler marks the price of the car up and manages to price it at a point where it will sell, didn't Tesla just loose that delta between the price Tesla sold the car to the wholesaler and the price a consumer paid to buy the car from a wholesaler?

Wouldn't tesla then be forgoing revenue for the sake of trying to artificially hold up the value of a car beyond what the market is willing to pay?