Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Energy Saving option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife’s new Model S doesn’t have the Energy Saving with always connected option. It runs the same software (2018.48.12) as my 2017 Model X which has it. It takes forever to wake up the S from the app whereas it is instant with the X.
Is there any work around to keep it connected?

The new MCU2 does not have this setting, unlike the MCU1 which does.

I have no insight into why, other than perhaps Tesla made the draconian decision to take away customer preference in lieu of preventing vampire drain (cars with Energy Saving /Always Connected have higher vampire drain, potentially causing more service calls).

Maybe tesla figured removing it and forcing the cars to sleep more would eliminate questions /complaints about vampire drain.

It's simply not available on MCU2 cars (April 2018 and newer), plus all Model 3s

From what I see in our 3 (MCU 2 of course) vs our X (MCU 1), the 2 sleeps deeper and more quickly (perhaps) and has no need for the option. I’ve had it fail to wake up via software until I touch the door handle a few times but the pro is that it doesn’t use as much battery as the 1 (vampire drain).

YMMV...

Reactions: Sambas
From what I see in our 3 (MCU 2 of course) vs our X (MCU 1), the 2 sleeps deeper and more quickly (perhaps) and has no need for the option. I’ve had it fail to wake up via software until I touch the door handle a few times but the pro is that it doesn’t use as much battery as the 1 (vampire drain).

YMMV...
Vampire drain was never an issue for me and I never paid attention to it especially with 100 kWh battery. The only time I turned the energy saving on was when I left my X at the airport for ten days, and it turned out that I didn’t have to.

If you can’t opt to stay connected then does that mean you can’t precondition the car, I.e. get the heaters on etc. Without going to the car?
No. You can still access from the App. That's always been the case. It might take a bit longer to connect though. I don't have first hand information on the quickness of connection because I've never opted to stay connected.

thats funny that this thread is up because i was just playing with my settings and finally turned on always connected. previously i guess i didnt have it on and wow sometimes it took like 5-7 min to get the car to wake up from the app. it was soooo annoying when i didnt have my key on me. or even in the mornings when i wanted to precondition it, i would have to make sure i started the app well ahead of time to make sure i got it going with enough time to still warm up the interior before actually getting in the car. tomorrow will be the first day i try it with always connected, so i will find out the difference in time it takes for it to wake up. i have a 2013 ms p85 btw.