Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever happened to these headlights??? I remember when I first saw this picture, I fell in love. With the car and with the smooth way the headlights seem to flow with it. No it seems Tesla has placed the same regular ol' headlights other car companies have placed on their cars. Nothing special about them. So what happened? :scared:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-S-Alpha-8.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-Alpha-8.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 871
It's funny, I've been seeing the Model S concept in photos around a lot lately, not sure why. But every time I see it I think, wow, the production version looks SO much better! It's obviously subjective, but I think the production car looks better in almost all ways, to me those headlights are a bit too cluttered, the production ones are extremely simple. The wing mirrors on the concept to me are inherently unattractive, but the production mirrors look really phenomenal.

The only thing I wish carried over from the concept is the tail light clusters. They are pretty simple, plain red for the most part on the concept (which is odd considering the cluttered headlights) and in the production car the tail lights are much more.. 'styled', I guess is the word. If the production had the concept tail lights it would be perfectly styled to me. This is not to say the tail lights would stop me buying the car if I was in the position to ;-)

In summary, much prefer the production car to the concept.

It's funny, I've been seeing the Model S concept in photos around a lot lately, not sure why. But every time I see it I think, wow, the production version looks SO much better! It's obviously subjective, but I think the production car looks better in almost all ways, to me those headlights are a bit too cluttered, the production ones are extremely simple. The wing mirrors on the concept to me are inherently unattractive, but the production mirrors look really phenomenal.

The only thing I wish carried over from the concept is the tail light clusters. They are pretty simple, plain red for the most part on the concept (which is odd considering the cluttered headlights) and in the production car the tail lights are much more.. 'styled', I guess is the word. If the production had the concept tail lights it would be perfectly styled to me. This is not to say the tail lights would stop me buying the car if I was in the position to ;-)

In summary, much prefer the production car to the concept.

Agreed on all points, and we all knew the blue lights wouldn't be road legal.

*so* glad the blue accent lights are gone.. personally. i don't like the cold, "pseudo-tricked out" vibe it gives.. low rent in my book. also blue is such an obnoxious color at night, really cuts into low-light vision... i'm also glad the dash and instrument cluster is much less 'blue' now too... both good moves afaic.

I like the sharper edges. It makes the car look a bit more intimidating and eyecatching.
I wondered why they even tinkered with the blue since it isn't legal.

I guess the same reason car show prototypes do crazy stuff that would never make it into production. To Tesla's credit though, the car made it to market very close in form to the prototype

ElSupreme,

I'm not sure I see the difference...

What is the difference between a blue stripe and a blue ring. The Enclave is sold in 50 states of the Union, and is road legal. I totally understand the continuous blue light rules, as we have the same rule for continuous forward facing blue and red lights, flasher/strobe headlamps in CA. I don't think it applies to colored accent lighting. It obviously can't in the case of the Enclave. The actual headlamps on the concept TMS weren't solid blue, they projected a white light, so I'm doubtful it would break any road laws, AFAIK.

2008_buick_enclave-pic-65323.jpeg
tesla-model-s-concept-2009-681-2.jpeg

All I know is that in Florida they are hyper vigilant on blue lights. Or at least were in the late 90's in Tampa. I know someone who had their car impounded because he had blue accent lights on his wiper nozzles on his hood, actually projected back towards the windshield. They ripped out his washer nozzles when they removed the lights before he got it back. I know of two other people who had their cars impounded and the lights taken off around this same time.

They might software disable the light elements on Florida spec Buick Enclaves. I don't know but ALL blue lights are illegal in Florida, and many other states have similar laws.

The enclave actually PROJECTS blue?

Not really:

Why is there a blue ring inside the headlights of the Buick Enclave? - Ask.cars.com

Buick says it is a styling cue that makes the Enclave look like it has blue eyes. Although the rings are a decorative touch that does not affect the headlights, they call attention to the Enclave’s standard xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights that generate a slightly bluish color. The Enclave CXL2 model has articulating HID lights, so it has “blue eyes” that move in the direction the car is steered.

Ps: Since when have I become TEG?!

Never mind the headlights, what really stands out to me on the prototype is the lack of extra air intakes below the headlights. Makes the front end look soooo much smoother and sleeker. I guess they couldn't get enough cooling surface for the battery liquid cooling and A/C with just the middle intake. Too bad.