Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the improved browser?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not wrong I guess - but it does seem that news of promised UI improvements has disappeared from the agenda recently.

My recent frustration as 2 inches of snow brought everything to a standstill was trying to get teslwaze to work, gave up pulled over and checked waze on my phone (same mobile network as car) in seconds.

@JonG - the value of Teslawaze over the google maps is you can (usually) see if there us an accident or the road is road closed ahead.
On my regular journeys this has proved to be invaluable on many occasions.

Queue a bit longer than usual on the Google map? - check Teslwaze - yup there you go, bit of an incident ahead, hop off onto alternate route before I get stuck in that. Saved me hours and hours of my time. Perfect no, Invaluable yes.
Works the other way around too, unusual queue = uh oh, Check on Teslawaze - just a broken down vehicle so not worth the detour just sit it out for a few minutes whilst the traffic filters to a single lane to get past.

I used to count the hours this saved me, I remember getting to 50 but lost count after that.

So back to the topic - if only the browser worked faster (and had up to date compatibility) as was promised repeatedly last year it would be more usable for this sort of highly useful functionality. But as everybody weirdly seems to disagree, I guess I am happily on my own with this one.

Click bait, absolutely. New, faster browser will join App SDK, AP1 summon anywhere on private property (starting with simple 90 degree turns at the curb), P85D passing speed 691hp OTA, and a a number of other features on the scrap heap of Elon's broken promises.

On a bright side, I am willing to bet eventually some Tesla, maybe Model 3 since its screen seems faster, will have a faster browser, but it will require new hardware and no free retrofit for all older cars (like 691hp, P100D can do it, but no free retrofit for P85D buyers).

Last edited:
Why does my browser think I am in Netherlands when I am in the UK? Try google.co.uk or YouTube.co.uk and both staying Netherlands, have had to force it to use en-GB, is this normal? Don’t really use the browser as it’s far too slow

Why does my browser think I am in Netherlands when I am in the UK? Try google.co.uk or YouTube.co.uk and both staying Netherlands, have had to force it to use en-GB, is this normal? Don’t really use the browser as it’s far too slow

Because Tesla have a europe wide roaming contract which is originating in NL so all internet traffic appears to originate from there.

If you car was from 2015 before the 4g/LTE came along you'd appear to in Spain as the 3g cars have a different contract.

The browser will always suck. The hardware powering the S and X MCU is absolute dog crap 10 year old NVIDIA tech. I guarantee the current browser loaded into a model 3 would be lightning fast.

I doubt that. the browser in the S was outdated before it was ever sold to a single customer and has never been updated, that webkit isn't slow by hardware, it's slow because it was never any good to begin with, and by now the internet has passed it by. It's so old it's like browsing on IE6.

The fact that Tesla.com doesn't even work inside a Tesla says it all. We were promised an updated browser back in 2012, we're still waiting. It'll probably come right after that lighted visor retrofit we were also promised.

I doubt that. the browser in the S was outdated before it was ever sold to a single customer and has never been updated, that webkit isn't slow by hardware, it's slow because it was never any good to begin with, a

I agree with this. The browser is built as a Qt platform app (see Qt | Cross-platform software development for embedded & desktop). I think the browser started life as a Qt browser proof-of-concept. And since it was available and easy at the time, Tesla just ran with it.

I hope they redesign it soon from ground up.

No need to redesign anything. Just use Chromium or Mozilla or any other open source browsers. Likely the only reason they don't do that is for security as they don't control the software.

But they really need to do something. Or just go down the Model 3 route and remove it altogether. :rolleyes: