Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you have actually not ordered a model X but you reserved one. there is a distinction. a reservation is less formal or binding than an order and therefore you are less likley to get any release updates. you have however, put money down to help the company move forwards to finally produce your vehicle so you could expect something more than a stone wall when it comes to info, but not much since your money is 100% refundable until you ACTUALLY do order it at a later date..... It will be amazing so just hang in there and wait with the rest of us... :)
I know, just bored and as I said before looking for a bone. I will wait no matter how long it takes because I love My Model S and really want to be all electric and I know the Model X will be amazing.

Does anybody know for sure if Tesla will be in the NAIAS? I heard Michigan was trying to ban them because they don't have any dealers. Or was that FUD and rumor?

Michigan did ban them. Bill was signed. But that doesn't mean they cannot display their American-made car at the largest American auto show.

In any case, they do have a paid booth on the floor. Question is what will be in the booth ... I think unless they've done a Model X reveal with reservation holders, that it will probably be a P85D on display.

Michigan did ban them. Bill was signed. But that doesn't mean they cannot display their American-made car at the largest American auto show.

In any case, they do have a paid booth on the floor. Question is what will be in the booth ... I think unless they've done a Model X reveal with reservation holders, that it will probably be a P85D on display.

I see the logic behind this, but if that's how it ends up happening it will be kind of bizarre--after all, there was a Model X on display at NAIAS two years ago. Kind of ironic to have more information on the car available at the show in 2013 than 2015.

I see the logic behind this, but if that's how it ends up happening it will be kind of bizarre--after all, there was a Model X on display at NAIAS two years ago. Kind of ironic to have more information on the car available at the show in 2013 than 2015.

The X on display in 2013 was the same (outside of color) as the one they had already shared with reservation holders. They typically have their own event for customers, with press, first.

The one shown in 2013 was different than the one shown in early 2012. It had side mirrors instead of cameras and a slightly different interior, and was supposed to be closer to the final design than the original prototype. This is the white one that has been featured at various events an on TV since then. Of course, it's expected now that the production model has evolved significantly from even that design, so who knows how much of it will carry over.

I will be very disappointed if the Model X is not at NAIAS. Not only because I am looking forward to seeing it up close, but because until the beta makes a public debut it makes you question whether Tesla can meet even their revised Q3 first delivery schedule. You can't do all your testing indoors or at night, so it has to show up on the road sometime if they are really making progress on proving the design.

The one shown in 2013 was different than the one shown in early 2012. It had side mirrors instead of cameras and a slightly different interior, and was supposed to be closer to the final design than the original prototype. This is the white one that has been featured at various events an on TV since then. Of course, it's expected now that the production model has evolved significantly from even that design, so who knows how much of it will carry over.

I will be very disappointed if the Model X is not at NAIAS. Not only because I am looking forward to seeing it up close, but because until the beta makes a public debut it makes you question whether Tesla can meet even their revised Q3 first delivery schedule. You can't do all your testing indoors or at night, so it has to show up on the road sometime if they are really making progress on proving the design.

Outside of the mirrors (which come and go, depending), it really was only color. White instead of 'anthracite' (my term), the oreo interior. But the body and interior were the same. Only finish was changed. They did not retire the 2012 X when the white one was displayed.

And speak for yourself regarding doubting the revised schedule. :) I'm not wondering.

The X on display in 2013 was the same (outside of color) as the one they had already shared with reservation holders. They typically have their own event for customers, with press, first.

I know. Like I said, I understand the logic behind your prediction. I just find it bizarre that the best place for the general public to see, sit in, and touch the 2015 Model X is at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.

I know. Like I said, I understand the logic behind your prediction. I just find it bizarre that the best place for the general public to see, sit in, and touch the 2015 Model X is at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.

If they were worried about sales, I'd agree with you. But considering that they're sold out for first year of production ... doesn't seem like much of an issue.

If they were worried about sales, I'd agree with you. But considering that they're sold out for first year of production ... doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Right. Especially true given that we have no firm idea when that "first year of sales" will actually start. Maybe we will see it at the 2017 show.

Edit: on the positive side, I am starting to think Model X deliveries will begin before I get my replacement drive unit. So.

Last edited:

This makes sense, but what would make the most sense is for them to hurry up and do the unveil for reservation holders before NAIAS, so they can also show it at NAIAS.

If the Model X is missing from the 2015 NAIAS, that sends the message that they won't be able to deliver in 2015, true or not. If they have already built betas, what's the hold up?