TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happened to the promised in-car apps?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Argelius, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

So, whatever happened to the promised in-car apps? While there have been some nice (relatively minor) UI tweaks, no new functionality has been introduced to that giant touch screen. Seems like such a wasted opportunity.

2. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Hopefully they came to their senses and realized that apple carplay and the android equivalent make it completely unnecessary for them to develop their own apps. Technology has moved on. Tesla really hasn't in this regard.

3. Argelius

Argelius Member

Exactly. If Tesla doesn't want to develop an SDK for their infotainment system, they should open it up to CarPlay/AndroidAuto and let those "app experts" do the heavy lifting.

4. f-stop

f-stop Member

Earlier this year at an event in Hong Kong, Elon Musk mentioned they are likely going to ditch the idea of an SDK and apps and instead mirror the display of your smartphone onto the 17" screen

“As we have sort of thought about it more, the logical thing to do from an app standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display, as opposed to trying to create a new app ecosystem,” Musk said.

Tesla SDK likely a no-go, targets iOS and Android app mirroring instead

5. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Well then, I guess I will still be using my phone data for navigation with Waze :(

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Except that means there won't be any data from the car in these apps. That might fix the current ridiculous media app, but won't help the navigation app or allow experimentation with how the menus work.

What kinds of apps, apart from media, would be useful and not actually dangerous? Games, Twitter, photo editing, email, what?

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

..plugshare
    for one

I wish this was a native app on Tesla.. their website is so-so

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

Third party navigation apps like Waze would be useful. A better web browser. Apps that log stuff for your car, like some of the current web based Tesla services.

9. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Sure, if it was a native app, or even an app running on a real browser in the car that also had an interface to the car's information, such as the state of charge and the navigation destination. The problem with phone apps displayed on the screen is you don't have any of that information.

Again, these would be much more useful if they could access information from the car. Restricting apps to just what can run on a phone seems very limiting and unnecessary to me.

I still say that Tesla should just do a modified Chrome browser as their entire user interface with a set of custom data sources that could be read by browser apps. Chrome is well sand boxed, has plenty of capabilities, and Tesla wouldn't have to deal with it at all once they converted everything over.

10. zambono

zambono Member

If Tesla created simple API's for third parties then these third party apps could incorporate the information of your vehicle that is being shared. Very simple, a good example are all the health apps which share information with each other.

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Give me mirroring and Im a happy camper!!!

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The only way to "mirror" iOS and retain the ability to touch a remote screen is through Carplay. Otherwise, mirroring on iOS only displays its screen on a remote display without the ability to accept touch input from that display. There is no way Tesla can give iOS users "mirroring" without giving them Carplay. Unless you want to see your iPhone on the 17" screen while interacting on the phone itself. That's how it would work with a non-Carplay mirroring setup with iOS.

Elon is batshit crazy if he doesn't offer Carplay. Tesla doesn't seem to be listening to its own customers when it comes to vehicle features.

• Like x 1
  13. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

It's pretty ironic that folks have to dash-mount their smartphone to do things the 17" CID can't. If Tesla saw pictures of that perhaps it would encourage them do finish this project already.

When people first see the 17" they are amazed. When they find out its limitations they are amazed.

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Maybe owners should start posting photos of their mounted iPads, iPhones and Android things to Elon and Tesla's Twitter pages with the hashtag #GiveUsCarplay or #YourSoftwareSucks? Just thinking out loud...

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  15. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

Yes. I have a magnetic phone mount because the navigation is terrible in comparison to Waze. All I want is Waze and text integration and I will be happy.

Maybe throw in a screensaver that you can load pictures on. The Honda Accord has that.