Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the seats folding flat, eh Elon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry @ecarfan, but I never believed that Tesla purposely eliminated the 2nd row folding seat, but rather did it out of necessity to get the vehicle into production faster. Therefore, I've always believed it was in Tesla's game plan (it was a focus point at the reveal 4+ years ago). I don't believe that Tesla's design engineers will give up quite so easily and they will come through with a folding design...soon...
You may well be right. We shall see...

There are so many design problems with the Model X that if I was Elon, I would ignore the whole thing and just focus resources on Model 3. Even Elon can't always bat 1000...
Totally agree. I believe you will see the X price jump to allow for more quality/service or the model be discontinued. The sub 80,000.00 X will be impossible to make money on. After replacement parts and labor they will suffer major losses. The other possibility is a major redesign to simplify most fit/finish issues that demand the car back to SC twice a month. It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out over the next two years. I think he has his eyes on the prize and will succeed in the long run. You will see tesla's all over the world but they may end up looking like the Honda Fit.

Last conference call, Elon said that the Model X was the hardest car to manufacture in the world. That either means that an electric SUV is really hard to pull off, or Tesla screwed up the design since no one in their right mind would intentionally design such a difficult car, right? Right??

Reactions: AnOutsider
The actual problem is not that it's too complex, or too hard to manufacture. The problem is that they designed (from scratch) too many untested/unproven features/systems and trying to get them all to work together on day one is a logistics nightmare.

It would have been a better idea to start with the Model-S chassis and implement a few new features (e.g. FWD). Once they got that production line running smoothly, then add additional new features, one at a time (e.g. new seats, auto-present doors, cargo mode, new door seals, etc.)

Therefore, there is no reason why Tesla can't resolve the existing production-line issues and turn a healthy profit on each vehicle.