Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Tesla Wall Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears like they discontinued it. Not even listed on their website anymore.. I've been waiting to get my hands on one since I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

You can make your own pretty easily. Just buy the "frequently bought together" items here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...aved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=tmc064-20

And wire it to the standard wall connector. Only difference is that the charge cable for the NEMA one Tesla sold was a bit thinner and more flexible.

This is what I plan to do. I like the black wall connector anyway,

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Curious as to why people prefer the Wall Connector with 14-50 plug over the Corded Mobile Connector (also with 14-50 plug) that can also be used easily for trips... and for $25 you can add the Cable Organizer and have the same functionality.

Both will only deliver 40A max to the car.

Is the Wall Connector preference just for looks?

Is there some other benefit?
[EDIT: Seems 24’ cable vs 20’ cable is a 4’ benefit. Does the CMC measure from the plug or the brick? If from the plug that 4’ difference might end up being a 6’ difference in some scenarios or a 2’ difference, depending on if reaching around obstacles from the wall mount or the plug position is more advantageous]

What was the price when it was listed, the same $500 as the regular Wall Connector, or more, or less? [EDIT: Article linked in OP said it was same $500 price]

$520 Corded Mobile Connector
$25 Cable Organizer

Last edited:
Just to sum up the cord diameters, here are our rough calculations:

UMC ... 3/8 inch cord. (32 amp max)
Wall Connector w/14-50 Plug .... 1/2 inch cord (40 amp max)
Wall Connector hardwire............ 7/8 inch cord. (80 amp max)

"With greater power there must also come greater diameter." ;)

Curious on a couple things ...

1. Are those cord sizes for the Wall Connector w/14-50 identical on the 14-50 side and the car connector side?
  2. Do we know the cord size on the Corded Mobile Connector?
  3. Why do you have different shoes than @ReddykwRun ? :)

Curious as to why people prefer the Wall Connector with 14-50 plug over the Corded Mobile Connector (also with 14-50 plug) that can also be used easily for trips... and for $25 you can add the Cable Organizer and have the same functionality.

Both will only deliver 40A max to the car.

Is the Wall Connector preference just for looks?

Is there some other benefit?
[EDIT: Seems 24’ cable vs 20’ cable is a 4’ benefit. Does the CMC measure from the plug or the brick? If from the plug that 4’ difference might end up being a 6’ difference in some scenarios or a 2’ difference, depending on if reaching around obstacles from the wall mount or the plug position is more advantageous]

What was the price when it was listed, the same $500 as the regular Wall Connector, or more, or less? [EDIT: Article linked in OP said it was same $500 price]

$520 Corded Mobile Connector
$25 Cable Organizer

That corded mobile connector has been out of stock for months. I think it might be discontinued. The one that comes with the car (Gen 2) only supplies 32 amps when using a NEMA 14-50 outlet so a wall connector wired up to a the NEMA outlet will provide 8 more amps and about 7mph more range.

Although I'm still debating if I really care. I can get the NEMA 14-50 pigtail and the cable organizer for about $60 vs the wall connector for $500. Is it really worth an extra $440 just for an extra 7mph of range when my car sits in the garage for the majority of every day? (I half considered just using a standard 110v, but I'm worried there will be some situation where that's not enough and then I'll be SOL)

That corded mobile connector has been out of stock for months. I think it might be discontinued. The one that comes with the car (Gen 2) only supplies 32 amps when using a NEMA 14-50 outlet so a wall connector wired up to a the NEMA outlet will provide 8 more amps and about 7mph more range.

Although I'm still debating if I really care. I can get the NEMA 14-50 pigtail and the cable organizer for about $60 vs the wall connector for $500. Is it really worth an extra $440 just for an extra 7mph of range when my car sits in the garage for the majority of every day? (I half considered just using a standard 110v, but I'm worried there will be some situation where that's not enough and then I'll be SOL)

Weird that one says out of stock and has a “email me when restocked” link though, and the other one disappears.

You could also get a 2nd UMC and split the difference. Especially for anyone with an SR with only 32A capability anyways, this is way cheaper.

Start with the cheap $35 14-50 adapter and $25 cable organizer. If you want to change your mind later you can choose a 2nd UMC ($275) or the Corded Wall Connector ($500) or Corded Mobile Connector ($520), whichever comes back first.

Weird that one says out of stock and has a “email me when restocked” link though, and the other one disappears.

You could also get a 2nd UMC and split the difference. Especially for anyone with an SR with only 32A capability anyways, this is way cheaper.

Start with the cheap $35 14-50 adapter and $25 cable organizer. If you want to change your mind later you can choose a 2nd UMC ($275) or the Corded Wall Connector ($500) or Corded Mobile Connector ($520), whichever comes back first.

This is likely what I'll do. Just use the included cable at first and see how that goes. If I really don't like or feel I need the wall connector then I'll upgrade later. That's why I'm having a NEMA 14-50 installed rather then getting a wall connector and hard wiring it with a 60 amp breaker. I like the flexibility that the 14-50 provides even if it's a little bit slower in the end.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I got mine really quick as it was delivered today, after ordering it on Friday.

I already got it mounted, but upon plugging it in, I noticed that none of the lights turned on. After calling the support number listed in the installation manual, I discovered that it does indeed charge my car just fine. Their explanation was that one of the ribbons that connect the LED lights likely wasn't properly connected. So he advised me to take the face plate off and check it.

But, after taking the silver face plate off, i came across some t20 torx screws that I needed to unscrew. But this one was different than a normal t20 torx screw. It had a peg right in the center of it, which none of my torx bits was compatible with.

Is this a proprietary torx bit, or can it be purchased in store? I didn't get a chance to take a photo of it because I stopped and just put the face plate on again since I had to go somewhere.

Edit: just googled it and learned that it is a security torx screw that I'll need the proper torx bit for.

• Informative