Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Tesla Wall Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

See:

New Tesla Home Charging Station Offers Faster Charging, Plus You Can Take It With You | CleanTechnica
Tesla unveils first home charging station that can be plugged into a wall outlet – TechCrunch
Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

Did Tesla discontinue it? And if so why? Or low inventory?? (It was just introduced in January!)

If discontinued, then I guess the choices for fast home charging (as far as Tesla products go) are the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug and 230V connection, or Tesla Wall Connector hardwired version also with a 230V connection, correct?

Thanks!

(I looked and didn't see, but if there is another post or thread, simply point me there. Thank you.)

Last edited:
The Tesla mobile charger will only do 32A. The Tesla wall charger will do 48A. The Tesla corded mobile connector, which has a 14-50 plug, will do 40A. Those appear to be the only choices currently from Tesla. Other 14-50 options include the Juice Box and the Openevse chargers. I just got and built the Openevse charger. It seems to work very well. Note that all 14-50 chargers will max out at 40A as the 14-50 socket and supporting wiring is rated at 50A total and continuous loads must be at no more than 80% of max. To work at 48A, the Tesla wall charger needs a circuit breaker and supporting wiring rated at 60A.

No official word on why it disappeared. Our sales rep had never even heard of the Wall Connector with the 14-50 plug. I do have a guess on why they were discontinued, however.

Evidently for proper outdoor 14-50 outlet installations, it should be GFCI. And I've read that even with the mobile connector, the ground fault protection in the connector can interfere with the GFCI and they can trip each other. I imagine this would also be the case with the plug-in wall connector, and Tesla didn't want this to become a common problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Antares Nebula

See:

New Tesla Home Charging Station Offers Faster Charging, Plus You Can Take It With You | CleanTechnica
Tesla unveils first home charging station that can be plugged into a wall outlet – TechCrunch

Did Tesla discontinue it? And if so why? Or low inventory?? (It was just introduced in January!)

If discontinued, then I guess the choices for fast home charging (as far as Tesla products go) are the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug and 230V connection, or Tesla Wall Connector hardwired version also with a 230V connection, correct?
Close but not quite. It’s called the Universal Mobile Connector (not charger, the charger is in the car). And it’s 240V, not 230V.

See:

Thanks!

(I looked and didn't see, but if there is another post or thread, simply point me there. Thank you.)
Last time I spit into that big outlet on the wall there it lit me up with 240 volts, das 120 twice (North American Standard) ( In my best Sling Blade voice)

Yes! Ordered immediately last night when I heard about it. I do just enough road trips that I'd rather just keep the UMC in the car. And the extra 2 feet of cord will be very handy.

Same. Ordered on Saturday late evening, it got shipped on Sunday and will be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday).
I've ordered a few other items and they are also coming on Tuesday, but in separate packages...

I doubt it. I only got a confirmation email that I've ordered it. And I ordered two days before you did.
(I've just emailed tesla about this)

Maybe it went to spam?
Here is how the email looks like (attached).

Screenshot_2019-07-02 15.43.17_jGpe45.png

Wow, I didn't know about this. I recently purchased a Gen1 corded mobile from a forum member, and would have gone with this instead had I known about it. Oh well, perhaps, I can just sell it here again and use that money to buy this one.

I am a new owner and dont have the charging setup in the garage yet, as I am also going Solar with Tesla soon they offered Wall connecter for free but I have to pay $1000 for installation... so is going with Tesla wall connecter better or Wall connecter with 15-40 plug is better?