Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the updated browser for 8.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not certain that the 8.1 release for AP1 cars is the same as that for AP2 cars.
By which I mean the first 8.1 release for AP1 cars might not be for a few weeks, but containthe UI improvements promised.
AP2 cars might then get those UI improvements in an incremental release at that time.
They might have focused on getting AP working for the new cars, then will finish off the UI stuff for all cars.

I was eagerly anticipating a browser update - no dice... That browser really is shameful for a tech company. I can't visit many sites, gmail looks like it did on my flip phone from 10 years ago, and it's god awfully slow.

Use your phone or iPad. ;)

It will be a long time until the car browser reaches parity (if ever).

I'm still waiting for the app SDK Elon promised 4 years ago. :/

The browser really is embarrassing for such an technical car. Every time I show it to someone new they see the browser icon and are like "You can browse the web on it??". I always try to divert their attention to other features but they always end up visiting a website on it. Then they see how awful it is, then they realize why I tried to divert their attention away from it. Then it gets awkward...

Thought it was so cool that my car had a web browser when I picked up my Model S three years ago. Haven't given it a second thought since. I can't think of a single situation over 3 years of ownership where I would have rather used my car screen instead of my phone (now if it had video, that's a different equation).

Actually, that's not true...I DID use my browser on BTTF day!!!

IMG_8262.JPG