Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the updated browser for 8.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought it was so cool that my car had a web browser when I picked up my Model S three years ago. Haven't given it a second thought since. I can't think of a single situation over 3 years of ownership where I would have rather used my car screen instead of my phone (now if it had video, that's a different equation).

Actually, that's not true...I DID use my browser on BTTF day!!!

I always wished they would allow video on it while you were parked, I'd much rather watch something on the center screen than my cell phone :cool:

Sorry, all software engineers have been diverted to AP2 and Easter eggs. And management time has been diverted to tweeting about Easter eggs and starting unrelated companies. Enjoy!

:DObviously not as important as the new Sketch Pad... Now go draw something pretty. :D

upload_2017-3-30_21-46-7.png

Hate to break it to you, but any updates to the browser is unlikely to improve the performance much, if at all. They can add more features and improve HTML support, but that's likely to slow things down as well. In general (there are exceptions I know), the more code you write, the slower things are.

To truly improve the performance, a hardware upgrade is needed.

Hate to break it to you, but any updates to the browser is unlikely to improve the performance much, if at all. They can add more features and improve HTML support, but that's likely to slow things down as well. In general (there are exceptions I know), the more code you write, the slower things are.

That's not at all true especially with web browsers. GPU accelerated rendering / scrolling / compositing has kernel prerequisites, and browser Javascript engines dramatically improve in performance as time goes on. Render times are really going down as time goes on.

That's not at all true especially with web browsers. GPU accelerated rendering / scrolling / compositing has kernel prerequisites, and browser Javascript engines dramatically improve in performance as time goes on. Render times are really going down as time goes on.

Hardware upgrade totally not needed. Please see my post here: Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

Please respond in this thread, to keep browser talk out of that thread.

The current browser was a thrown together bad port. Among other problems, it allows touchscreen highlighting of text. This in a browser that doesn't allow cut/copy/paste, so this is a useless feature that only makes it harder to press links reliably. Over 4 years, we keep hearing of improvements to the browser, but the programmers are either incompetent or this is a load of crap.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Tesla’s software update for internet browser, Linux update and new features coming in ~6 weeks, says Elon Musk
When Tesla started pushing its 8.1 software update to its fleet this week, it was really light on UI improvements and instead focused almost entirely on Autopilot 2.0 updates.

Several of the changes that CEO Elon Musk previously associated with the upcoming 8.1 update have been pushed another ~6 weeks. We are talking about the expected internet browser update, Linux kernel update, and several bug fixes – especially having to do with Tesla’s media app.

Most of those changes were first expected in December and Musk linked them to the 8.1 updates, which had been delayed until this week and didn’t contain any of the changes.

Last edited:
Tesla’s software update for internet browser, Linux update and new features coming in ~6 weeks, says Elon Musk

When Tesla started pushing its 8.1 software update to its fleet this week, it was really light on UI improvements and instead focused almost entirely on Autopilot 2.0 updates.

Several of the changes that CEO Elon Musk previously associated with the upcoming 8.1 update have been pushed another ~6 weeks. We are talking about the expected internet browser update, Linux kernel update, and several bug fixes – especially having to do with Tesla’s media app.

Most of those changes were first expected in December and Musk linked them to the 8.1 updates, which had been delayed until this week and didn’t contain any of the changes.
So we have something else to look forward to :)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

It's a browser. Rendering engine and JavaScript engine optimization both tend to get a lot of attention. So it's not unreasonable to expect improved performance. Load time is a different matter.