Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what happened to Tidal and options for alternate streaming providers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said it before and I’ll say it again: Tidal is infinitely more desirable to me than 1000 new games in a Tesla. (And yes I do game at home.)

pretty sure 95% of Tesla employees driving 3’s and Y’s disagree with me though, and those are the votes that carry all the weight.

That is why I subscribe, but it won't be in the car. Whatever/whoever the next streaming partner will be it will be limited to a reported 128-160 kbps, like Spotify and Slacker are.
If you have MCU2 + premium or included subscription you should get 320K imho; actually 192K would probably be enough that you would never notice the difference given the quality of the audio components, lower bitrates are just not acceptable these days.

I just wish they would focus a dev team more on the audio player though, fundamentally it is not bad but it attracts a lot of negative publicity for the glaring weaknessess that Tesla could readily address for relatively minor investment. Having the option of provider would be appreciated by many if not most owners.

Reactions: DCEV and X Fan
Electrek 11/2:

Tesla has started to push a new software update that adds an in-car app for Tidal, the music-streaming service, cold weather improvements, and more.

Today, Tesla started pushing its 2021.40 software update.

It includes several new features, but the most significant addition is the in-car integration of Tidal.

Tesla wrote in the release notes:

TIDAL streaming is now available from the Media menu with a TIDAL account. You can listen to TIDAL playlists or albums in high-quality audio by connecting to Wi-Fi and pressing Download on the selected content.

Streaming but you have to download the selected content on wifi?
maybe it means you can stream at low br, but can also download HiRes

just need 2021.40 on the car to find out

Electrek 11/2:

Tesla has started to push a new software update that adds an in-car app for Tidal, the music-streaming service, cold weather improvements, and more.

It includes several new features, but the most significant addition is the in-car integration of Tidal.

just need 2021.40 on the car to find out
Awesome news, but I guess that counts me and anyone else with MCU1 out. I figured we would need the MCU2 for this, so no surprise.

Electrek 11/2:

I just reread the article, and still am trying to figure it out.

TIDAL streaming is now available from the Media menu with a TIDAL account. You can listen to TIDAL playlists or albums in high-quality audio by connecting to Wi-Fi and pressing Download on the selected content.
Download it where? to a phone, or to the flashdrive in the car?