Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what happened to Tidal and options for alternate streaming providers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ranted about how bad Slacker is on another thread; as a Canadian Tesla owner, my only options are Slacker, Spotify, and Tidal. Meanwhile, at home I am a YouTube Premium subscriber. So if I am gonna subscribe to ANOTHER streaming service, I'd like to know about the other aspects - like how its suggestion algorithm works, and stuff like that. Slacker is simply abysmal, its suggestions are so bad that I could never suggest it to anyone, ever. But I've never used Spotify or Tidal. If the suggestions and algorithms are still trash, it wouldn't matter to me how good the sound quality is. A song I hate in HiFi is just as crappy as if it were in LoFi.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I ranted about how bad Slacker is on another thread; as a Canadian Tesla owner, my only options are Slacker, Spotify, and Tidal. Meanwhile, at home I am a YouTube Premium subscriber. So if I am gonna subscribe to ANOTHER streaming service, I'd like to know about the other aspects - like how its suggestion algorithm works, and stuff like that. Slacker is simply abysmal, its suggestions are so bad that I could never suggest it to anyone, ever. But I've never used Spotify or Tidal. If the suggestions and algorithms are still trash, it wouldn't matter to me how good the sound quality is. A song I hate in HiFi is just as crappy as if it were in LoFi.
For what it’s worth, in my Google research half a year ago when I was looking for my first streaming provider, I came across many users being very satisfied with the Spotify suggestion algorithm. Next to the biggest library, it’s their strongest selling point.
However, music taste is a very personal thing and difficult to grasp in a binary way.
As HiFi and Master quality was more important to me and due to the fact that Spotify only pays peanuts 🥜 to the majority of artitst, the remaining choice for me was between Tidal and Qobuz.
So I started the 30 days trial period for both of them.
Next, I compiled a shortlist of my 50 favorite Vinyl songs from the 80ies in order to find out which of these two, Tidal or Qobuz, actually have them in their library.
Tidal covered roughly 90%, whereas Qobuz only about +-70%. So my choice for Tidal was obvious.
If you listen more to classic music and Jazz, the result probably would have been the other way round.
Note, at that moment in time, neither of these were in discussion to be included in the Tesla UI.
I'm obviously quite chuffed now that Elon has opted for Tidal as well😉
To make things more complicated, I have recently read that Spotify will offer HiFi quality very soon as well.
But at the end of the day, only you can make that choice based upon your music taste.
Meaning, try them all out during the free 30 days trial period.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: X Fan
Reason I left Spotify was that I was pulled out of my main taste bubbles too often. I have different moods, and Spotify had troubles separating the different music I have for each mood. Also I like to find new music, which I don't immediately like (or will ever) but I have at least tried listening to. So when Spotify pushed me top charts, it then quickly defined me as such a listener and I was trapped. Explicitly hiding and skipping songs, or listening to one style for a long time - it all did not work and even got worse over the years.

I have a much better experience with Tidal. For instance I can now listen to K-Pop or Country without having to worry I am defined as such listener for eternity.

If you like a single style or top charts then Spotify is great. I have not tried Aple Music which I was also recommended for being user-focused for helping to discover without being dragged to top charts.

From what I've heard: it plays in normal quality when on 4g, high quality when on wifi.

Can you at least download high quality when on WIFI to play not on WIFI?

I really wish the Spotify Player downloaded all playlists in highest possible quality. I sometimes have issues with communication handoff between my house WIFI and 4G when driving away and playing music. Spotify music caching would fix the issue.