Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens after $100 deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Related comment, the $100 is a Non-refundable Order Fee, not a Deposit. It doesn’t get credited towards the cost of the vehicle, it’s a completely separate fee.

Actually it is credited towards the cost of the vehicle. If you look at the price breakdown on your order page, you'll see the initial $100 payment credited.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 8.21.37 AM.png

Reactions: CapitalTM3
Actually it is credited towards the cost of the vehicle. If you look at the price breakdown on your order page, you'll see the initial $100 payment credited.

View attachment 587996

I don’t believe so. On my account, I paid $50,777.80 for the actual vehicle after a 2 grand NY rebate but the total is paid is 50,877.80 actually, so it is a separate fee it would appear. Doesn’t actually credit towards the vehicle.

Attachments

• 60695707-40AE-4C20-91D4-33EA056EC7E4.jpeg
    60695707-40AE-4C20-91D4-33EA056EC7E4.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 62
Mine counted as a payment towards the vehicle.

Payments -$3,796.95
Payment 08/26/2020 -$100.00

It messes with you. It may seem that way but when you add it up, like I have done. It’s separate. Sale Tax’s, title fee, and tire fee along with base of the vehicle is only 52,777.80 for me here in NY, minus $2000 for rebate. So total on mvpa paid is 52,877.80 implying the order fee is separate as the base costs for everything for the vehicle itself are $50,777.80 but total paid that I paid is 50,877.80 after rebate. So it does not minus anything from the vehicle. If that were the case, the total would be 50,777.80 for the vehicle itself after rebate but the $100 order fee takes $100 off but that is not the case.

It messes with you. It may seem that way but when you add it up, like I have done. It’s separate. Sale Tax’s, title fee, and tire fee along with base of the vehicle is only 52,777.80 for me here in NY, minus $2000 for rebate. So total on mvpa paid is 52,877.80 implying the order fee is separate as the base costs for everything for the vehicle itself are $50,777.80 but total paid that I paid is 50,877.80 after rebate. So it does not minus anything from the vehicle. If that were the case, the total would be 50,777.80 for the vehicle itself after rebate but the $100 order fee takes $100 off but that is not the case.

Yep you're absolutely right. I see the $100 order fee below the documentation fee. Those bastards. lol

Yep you're absolutely right. I see the $100 order fee below the documentation fee. Those bastards. lol

Yep, it’s a completely separate fee to probably cover IT systems and the website when you order. Hence when you cancel the order or reassign to a inventory vehicle you must pay another $100 and forfeit the last $100 you paid into the system. It is a separate fee for sure. When it was $2500, that actually deducted from the vehicle itself.

I will qualify the below statement with ‘it may be different in your State/Country’ and ‘it may have been different when ordered.’ :D

The $100 initial payment did go to the purchase of my car. Look at your lending agreement. (Tesla.com account > your car > Glovebox > Lending agreement). Under...

ITEMIZATION OF THE AMOUNT FINANCED
6. Total Down Payment.
G. Cash, Cash Equivalent, Check, Credit Card, or Debit Card

That total should be your deposit plus $100. Well, at least for me it is. (Ordered 10/19; delivery 12/19)

It is confusing, and I understand now. If it was truly a deposit it wouldn't be listed as an itemized charge- it would just be subtracted from the total of what you owe on the car.

Instead, they take your $100 to hold the car, and then charge you the "order fee" which is then canceled out. So at the end of the day, you are not getting anything for that original $100 you paid.

Sneaky bastards indeed.

It is confusing, and I understand now. If it was truly a deposit it wouldn't be listed as an itemized charge- it would just be subtracted from the total of what you owe on the car.

Instead, they take your $100 to hold the car, and then charge you the "order fee" which is then canceled out. So at the end of the day, you are not getting anything for that original $100 you paid.

Sneaky bastards indeed.

Yep, that’s why it’s listed as a order fee on my mvpa. Just another fee added on to the cost. Elon needs the money so it’s not a problem .

Reactions: Lexdysic
Howdy, I'm in SoCal too and this is good info. I won't be trading anything in which is another reason I wanted to have a healthy down payment. If I put $100 down today, how long do you think it would take before I was asked for additional funds?
Sorry for sparking up an old thread but I see that you're an active member im in the same situation you were in and I see you ended up with one... I just put the $100 down today and with the sale of my 2015 Tahoe im going to be putting around 17-20k down. What ended up happening in your situation?

Sorry for sparking up an old thread but I see that you're an active member im in the same situation you were in and I see you ended up with one... I just put the $100 down today and with the sale of my 2015 Tahoe im going to be putting around 17-20k down. What ended up happening in your situation?
$100 is NOT a downpayment. It is simply an order fee. It's not going to reduce your final price.

No worries.

Well, I had a Long-Range AWD reserved and was prepared to wait. The Tesla Service Advisor informed me that a Stealth Performance was available locally and in the trim I wanted, so after some weighing of options I went for it. No wait time, flagship model 3. I ended up putting 35k down with financing.

So, at first you will just lock in a car and wait. You will at some point get a VIN number, but as I explained with my story I didn't actually have to wait long because I went for the in-stock (new) Stealth. During this wait time you should arrange financing and you already know how much down payment will be. Tesla will give you some ways to pay and you can then make your down payment after you've worked out any financing you may need. If all cash, well you just pay that up-front or show up with a check after Tesla tells you the total.

After that Tesla will schedule a delivery day, either delivering it to you (depending on your area) or you can go to the delivery point, usually a Tesla showroom but sometimes it's a whole parking lot where Tesla is doing mass deliveries. Show show up with your smart phone, Tesla app already installed, and the TA will set up your phone as a key (or they did for me). Then just go and unlock your car (contact-free COVID-style delivery) and off you go.

I've done this twice now, once for my own P3D- and once for my girlfriend's MSM LR AWD with white interior.

When Tesla insurance comes to FLA I highly recommend getting a quote. I have it and it's cheaper than what State Farm charged me for a 2018 Nissan LEAF S.

That's basically it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy