Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens after 3 strikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another thread about the false positives I'm experiencing with v10.5 driver monitoring. I now have 2 strikes. What happens when you get 3 strikes? Are you out forever? I hope not. I've had Tesla's since 2016 and have never been in AP jail or had a FSD strike in all my years and now with 10.5, I've got two in a week!

20211201_102738.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I apologize for posting this in various places, but wanted to make sure you see this...

There have been reports of 10.5 throwing up cabin camera induced "Pay Attention" alerts if the cabin camera can see a cell phone, even if you're not using the phone.

Make sure there is no cell phone in the cabin camera's field of view.

Reactions: K5TRX
I apologize for posting this in various places, but wanted to make sure you see this...

There have been reports of 10.5 throwing up cabin camera induced "Pay Attention" alerts if the cabin camera can see a cell phone, even if you're not using the phone.

Make sure there is no cell phone in the cabin camera's field of view.
Thanks. My phone is in my pocket so I wish that was the case.

I got one strike today. I had both hands on the steering doing 40 on 45 speed limit. Straight road medium traffic. No lane changes or anything.

Here is what happened

I was wearing a hat
I was wearing shades
My wife put me on speaker phone on her phone call. Next thing I know the car beeped 3 times in quick succession. I was applying torque and watching the road all the time. And the FSD disengaged with message that it was unavailable until next drive.

It was the visible phone in my wife’s hand that did it.

I have received 2 strikes and I am concerned. After over a year with NO strikes a a couple of weeks I received 2. One occurred with both hands on the wheel and watching the road in traffic. All I saw was a red flash and then a message indicating I was taken off auto pilot with one strike. The next one was a joke. I was approaching an intersection with both hands on the wheel. The car was almost stopped or stopped when the red flash came on the bottom of the screen and now the strike two message. I don't want to lose FSD beta especially when I was paying attention to the road when both turn off happened. This is unfair to have a system that does stupid things but penalizes you when it thinks you are not paying attention. This has all happened since the last update.

I have another thread about the false positives I'm experiencing with v10.5 driver monitoring. I now have 2 strikes. What happens when you get 3 strikes? Are you out forever? I hope not. I've had Tesla's since 2016 and have never been in AP jail or had a FSD strike in all my years and now with 10.5, I've got two in a week!

This.

Got a couple of “Pay attention to the road” alerts the last couple of days and couldn’t figure out why. I kept having to disengage and then re-engage FSD to avoid a first ever lockout. I had my hand on the wheel, eyes on the road, and wasn’t getting the blue flashes before getting the alert. Finally realized it was because I had a black thumb/wrist brace on my right hand due to getting my hand hit pretty hard while playing basketball. I had a habit of keeping my right elbow on the center console with my right hand in the air to make sure my hand wouldn’t get bounced into anything because it hurt, and I guess the car thought I was holding a cell phone, lol.

Getting the red hands of death every 30 seconds. Torque and looking forward as hard as possible does not solve it. Ended up with 1 strike and not won’t use FSD until the issue is resolved. Seems as in this update they also changed the refresh MS to 5 strikes instead of 3. Never had a single strike until this update.

F0A59B4C-9CC2-4376-91F1-957B93559E86.jpeg

Getting the red hands of death every 30 seconds. Torque and looking forward as hard as possible does not solve it. Ended up with 1 strike and not won’t use FSD until the issue is resolved. Seems as in this update they also changed the refresh MS to 5 strikes instead of 3. Never had a single strike until this
My 2016 pre-refresh S got the FSD Beta update today but still shows 3 allowed strikes. My 3 also got the update today and still shows 5 allowed strikes. Sheesh, go figure.

Luckily my lone strike was on my 3 and it is still there.😅 (Before someone asks: My strike happened at about 6am driving home from a 3 am flight. My exhaustion was surely a factor in missing warnings but in this type of instance FSD should be its most valuable when it is out of Beta… in about 2025 or later.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex