TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happens if I take the Toll Roads in my new car without plates??

Discussion in 'California' started by eyespii, Aug 6, 2015.

1. eyespii

eyespii Member

Just picked up my 85D, and don't have my CA plates yet. No temp paper plate in CA, only hand-written VIN from dealer stuck to the windshield. Toll Roads are all cashless here (133/261). What happens if I run hog wild for the next 90 days?? Anyone know?

Sidenote - I also opted not to have the front plate mounted to my new car...wonder if that will raise additional red flags on the toll roads?

2. smilepak

smilepak Member

I've been doing that the last month. Take your transponder with you just in case you get pull over, otherwise free toll technically if they can't scan you.

For front, look at magneplate

3. eyespii

eyespii Member

I don't have a transponder actually since before now I rarely had a reason to take the toll roads!

Thanks for the tip about magneplate I'll look into it.

4. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Free toll. But the Toll agency has hired the highway patrol to monitor the toll plazas for cars without tags, plates, and toll transponder.

5. kglad99

kglad99 Member

and you can go to their online site and add your tesla and/or you can pay via their website after the fact to avoid any problems.

6. Ampster

Ampster Member

Any repeats allowed? LOL

7. smilepak

smilepak Member

Only works if you got a license plate. Safest best, borrow someone transponder if you don't have one yet until you get your license plate.

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Don't do it. After creating an account online, including your personalized plate if you have already applied for one, visit your nearest Metro Expresslanes or similar customer service location. Ensure that they enter you/your car into the database for such vehicles (the Model S is listed as one of the cars for which a transponder will not work due to the metal oxide-treated windshield).

From that point, once your rear plate gets onto the car (and you've updated your info online if necessary), you're good to go. I've tested this and it works fine - the toll charge will show up as part of your quarterly statement.

That said, they told me specifically to NOT drive the toll roads (without paying the toll some other way) until installing the plate, and told me a charming story about a Tesla owner who just decided to drive his car without permanent plates. For months. When he was apprehended, presumably with the aid of facial recognition, his fines alone were well over $1,000.

9. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Really? If you have the dealer-issued paper document affixed to your front right windshield (as is required), you are driving a legally registered vehicle. A transponder is NOT REQUIRED due to the online payment system. There is NOTHING in any signage that cars without a plate and transponder are subject to ticketing. The TCA abandoned cash tolling, which would have totally obviated the situation. Their problem. If I were representing someone in defense, I guarantee this would be a win in traffic court.

The face recognition story is just that. Total BS. IMHO.

10. davewill

davewill Member

If he drove for months without his plates he was probably doing it after receiving the plates, specifically to evade the tolls. Which would be fraud and definitely illegal.

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Ding ding ding - we have a winner.

Further, the idea is to not end up in court in the first place. I may have the right to wave red flags at a bull, but the bull is still a bull, and not all bulls are of good temperament. I don't always have time for bull.

The combination of no plates/no front plate once issued/no transponder if issued and not displayed/no sticker-one sticker-three stickers just illustrates the chasm between a) state policy that enables restricted lane usage by EVs and b) the various tricks and gotchas associated with revenue generation and excuses for traffic stops.

Meanwhile, yeah - the guy above who got busted likely did *not* prevail in traffic court. If you've been issued plates, stickers, or a transponder, they tend to expect you to display them at some point. Caveat for the transponder for Teslas as they're on the list of cars for which xponders won't work. Also in CA, yes, one can now pay tolls online within 5 days. Ironically, the paperwork still says if you have one, you have to display it.

It's the same level of silliness that's related to front plates not being needed in the 19 mostly Southern states but somehow magically they're needed in the other 31. Can we say "revenue generation"? Fortunately, red light cams are less prevalent now, but laser devices will proliferate as prices drop.

One truism remains - legislation will always lag common sense and technology.

12. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Agreed. Thus the differentiation of a legally registered, pending plates scenario vs. the deliberate violator. Note the title of the thread was addressed at the former situation, not the criminals. :)

13. eyespii

eyespii Member

So...still not really sure what I should do. I can't get a transponder until I get my plate, and I don't see any way to pay the toll online without a plate number either. I've just been avoiding toll roads in the new car for the past week or so - on the bright side it's been saving me $4/each trip!

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

#14 rxlawdude, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    I'd advise you to travel the toll road, and go online to pay per the requirement. Unfortunately, you'll find there is no way to pay with no plate number. As you're not breaking any law (as long as you have not received your plates), the TCA has to pound sand or modify signage that vehicles not displaying license plates without a transponder are prohibited.

Consider it some small recompense for the TCA's continued raising of tolls over the past 20 years. The 73 should have been paid for already, and theoretically non-toll. But, you see, there weren't enough drivers using it to make the revenue. Solution by TCA? Raise the tolls. Response by public? Fewer drivers using it. Solution by TCA? Pull the cash booths out, eliminate jobs, and raise the tolls. The original end to end toll on the 73 was $2.00 in 1996. It's now almost $7.00. The tolls have increased faster than the rate of inflation, primarily due to the nonsensical ways the tolls have been structured in response to revenue requirements.

I think the last estimate was the tolls will pay off the roads sometime by 2050. Maybe.