TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happens if key fob is separated from running car?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by olanmills, Jun 26, 2012.

1. olanmills

olanmills Member

.. I really want to know, what happens if, while driving the car, you throw the key fob out the window?

:scared:

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'd imagine you would keep driving but couldn't start your car back up again after turning it off? Good one. I'd recommend against doing it though:smile:

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Basically. Our A6 has this and if the key is no longer with the car, it beeps a bit, but won't shut down. You won't be able to do anything with the car after you shut it off without the key though.

4. Zorba

Zorba Member

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

:cursing:
    There sounds like there should be a story behind this. Are you planning on having a fight with your wife/girlfriend? Or, have a fight with your wife about your girlfriend wherein she lobs your fob out the window?
    :cursing:

Back to reality. It's probably been mentioned before but how many fobs do you get with the car? If you want more, can you buy them ahead of time? And how much do they cost?

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

*ahem*... Chris, is that you?

7. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

It's a good question, but perhaps the more realistic example, or at least the example that doesn't foretell domestic disputes, is when you go to the valet and leave the key in your pocket while the valet drives off with the car.

I presume, like others, that the car can run once it's on, but once it is "off" and away from the key, won't go on again until near the key again.

8. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Maybe it'll just slow down and stop? At least that's what they could program it do when the Get Amped test drivers get too crazy, even with a new 75 mph speed limit. That way the co-pilot can just toss the key. A bit like the safety cord on a jetski. :)

9. Zextraterrestrial

that's pretty funny!!

but my copilt was the younger kid and I think he would have taken it even faster than I did

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The Google Autonomous Vehicle software will take over as your Model S will think you are playing a game of "fetch".
    It will do a U-turn and start driving back to find the lost key!
    :cool:

11. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

What if you lose the key? Is there an over ride?

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I'd use the backup key, I suppose

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Once the security ECU has confirmed the fob, then it doesn't check again until the car is powered down. A question is: What happens if you lose both fobs? In the 2001 Prius you have to purchase a new security ECU (not even remotely cheap), in the 2004+ the dealer can reset the security ECU (for a price but far lower than a new ECU). So should you lose one, you really need to get another.

So does anyone know what Tesla's policy is on this?

(ECU = embedded computing unit)

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

May not be the case. Like AO said about his Audi, my Mini beeps and immediately shows a 'no key' icon on the dash if the key flies away but, the car can continue to be operated normally till it's turned off; after that, you are SOL till the key comes back.

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Same with the Bimmer. Also, if you lock the key in the trunk, it beeps three times and pops the trunk. Anyone have any idea if the key does this if you lock the key in the trunk or frunk??

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

[mod note: changed thread title to be more descriptive for scanning purposes. b.]

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Excellent question! I've tried to do it a couple of times at work (by putting the Mini's fob in the gym bag and that in the trunk with everything locked up) but, this facility helped me from getting locked out!

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

2 Keys.

19. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I see the thread title was changed. "Separated" as in Tesla will "separate" me from about $75000 in the next 6 months. :)

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yes, I changed it (noted above) so that the thread title would be more descriptive for people browsing the forum.