Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if key fob is separated from running car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...you go to the valet and leave the key in your pocket while the valet drives off with the car.

I presume, like others, that the car can run once it's on, but once it is "off" and away from the key, won't go on again until near the key again.
Nice idea - moving the fob away from a running car automatically puts it into Valet Mode.

Assume you know for sure the valet isn't having to shuffle cars around once they're parked this could work. Still, I could see someone punching the off button inadvertently or stupidly before it's parked, then running around the neighborhood trying to find you so they can get your car out of the middle of the road.

Assume you know for sure the valet isn't having to shuffle cars around once they're parked this could work. Still, I could see someone punching the off button inadvertently or stupidly before it's parked, then running around the neighborhood trying to find you so they can get your car out of the middle of the road.

Actually, it would be easier to do than that, since there is no "On/Off" button. If they got out of the car to move another car for example. Getting in/out of the car is what turns it on or off. Hope there is a valet mode.

How about four-digit pin putting the car in "valet mode" with a speed limit of 25mph or something?

Not like I use valets every day, but parking garages up in San Francisco almost always use parking attendants and will need to shuffle cars around at any point. It would be nice to hand off the car with slightly limited access...

So back to the two big questions asked in this thread:
Does Model S have a valet mode (25mph top speed via 4-digit code) and
how does the valet attendant do his job (sometimes needing to shuffle cars, and getting the car back to YOU) if he is not holding the key fob?

So back to the two big questions asked in this thread:
Does Model S have a valet mode (25mph top speed via 4-digit code) and
how does the valet attendant do his job (sometimes needing to shuffle cars, and getting the car back to YOU) if he is not holding the key fob?

I have a feeling the Model S will get parked out front in the 'good' spots for quite some time. I doubt it will be shuffled! :biggrin:

Which is exactly what happens with my Roadster. :smile:

I had heard sometime back that there is a Valet mode but I don't recall ever hearing details.

Tesla in-store reps have said that it will be there, and it will be inherited mostly from the Roadster. The mode will limit speed, torque, and keep the glove box from being opened, and maybe other functions limited as well. We haven't seen any demos of this mode on the in-store vehicles or Get Amped vehicles yet.

Yes but I know first hand it only warns you twice, on the third try it will allow you to lock the keys in the trunk! :crying:

Actually, that's a feature. You drop your car off for service, which will be completed that day. It's either free, or you pay via credit card over the phone. You can get a ride to the shop, but only after it's closed. You have your spare key to open the car with, but how else would the shop get the key you gave them back to you?

I've actually done that several times with my BMWs.

.. I really want to know, what happens if, while driving the car, you throw the key fob out the window?

:scared:

I've done this several times in our Volt. I drop my wife off somewhere, key is in her purse, I drive off...

If the FOB is not present when you go to shut the car off, it shuts off, but let's you start back up with just a tap on the brake.