Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if u return your car in 7 days - DMV refund in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could fill out this form to request a refund of DMV fees but I believe Tesla handles that for you as part of the refund process. They may not even submit the payment to DMV until after the 7 day refund period completes.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...-4949cf84-4360-4443-96f2-689375cb51f8-myxqTjt
Thanks, but the language is a bit vague something like" if the car was operated....." It would make the most sense if Tesla doesn't register the car until after 7 days as has been suggested. Too bad the SA can't even answer that simple question :(

I've asked multiple times but never got a clear answer from Tesla. I can see how they can refund purchase price and tax but what about registration? It is not a small amount.

Couldn’t locate a situation where a return didn’t specifically include the DMV fees. This article was critical of other return - refund experiences. My guess is that if it was an issue (not getting full amount back) it would have been raised in the article.

Tesla customers describe maddening problems with returns and refunds

Couldn’t locate a situation where a return didn’t specifically include the DMV fees. This article was critical of other return - refund experiences. My guess is that if it was an issue (not getting full amount back) it would have been raised in the article.

Tesla customers describe maddening problems with returns and refunds
I think I must have seen this in the past, not sure they could cover everything ... but for those of us who wonder what happens to returns

"Even after Tesla took his car back, Ozguz said, he still had access through the Tesla drive app to see where the car was located and remotely engage features from the entertainment system to air conditioning. Tesla did not comment on this aspect of Ozguz’s account."
which suggests they don't resell or use for demos either at all or quickly????

Reactions: Sherlo
There have been reports of people getting “new” inventory cars with prior registrations (which makes the cars used). I wouldn’t count on Tesla to be fully competent when it comes to the paperwork. Model 3 performance dealer discount
Deal of the century or bad decision?
I'm not following the performance thread and the post didn't come up on searches so thank you very much for the lead. It's really mystifying to me that a company that is using such advanced computer technology can't do a simple data base right

Tesla collects sales tax and registration and then sends to state

I am sure they wait the 7 day period before counting it as a closed sale and actually registering it with DMV and forwarding sales tax to CA dept of tax and fee administration

You should get all of the money back except maybe interest to a third party lender but that all depends on if you financed

• Helpful
Reactions: OCR1 and Sherlo