Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you don’t install a downloaded update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2020.48.12.1 running in the car. 2020.48.35.5 downloaded by itself with WiFi off. I have sat on it for about 3 weeks without installing it because I don’t like the new look of the screen. Does anybody know what happens if I continue doing this for a while? Will the download scrub out if a newer version becomes available to download or will it sit there forever blocking newer software until I finally install it? Certainly someone must have gone this route before but I have never read about it anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Yes….
Some downloads are cumulative building upon what you already have.
Others are wholesale replacements like going to V10 or V11.
But not every update is available to be pushed to every car.
It would be possible that a particular version your car requires is no longer being distributed. If that happens a trip to the service center would be required (or an engineering support push) to get everything sorted out.

I have been refusing it as well. I turned off WiFi as soon as I saw the screenshots of the new UI, but the car eventually pulled it down over 4G. Just been hitting the (x) for the last few weeks. No idea if the warranty clause would actually be enforceable (I am not a lawyer), but it sure sounds dubious (but still costly to fight). Hopefully they just fix this trash update and we can stop refusing the updates soon.

Reactions: Lobstahz
I'm in the same boat,

Will refuse this update until either Tesla brings me back my map real estate or I can get rid of the car ( which is impossible in wintertime as everyone would see what a crap car it is when it's freezing ).

In both cases, the solution will be in the coming months

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Also, you warranty has a clause in it that requires you to install all updates when offered or you risk voiding your warranty.

this seems like a non-issue. if warranty work is required you can just install the update when necessary.

i'm also in the group that hasn't installed an update in months because i don't want the new screen layout...in case anyone didn't know, you can just ignore the window and putting the car in gear will get rid of it. you don't have to hit the X every time you get into the car... (i just discovered that myself by accident a few days ago)

Thanks for the reply. My question is how do you know this?

Each update has to be QA'd, so they would only QA certain OTA updates.

For example: updating from versions F and G to version H would be tested by QA, but not from A through E to H. So it's pretty normal, in OTA's, to force people who've fallen behind to go through multiple updates to catch-up.

This isn't specific to Tesla. It's important to properly test each to/from OTA pair, and it's also pretty time-consuming.

Last edited:
Keep in mind tho that by not applying updates, you could be setting yourself up for some trouble down the road.
Bug fixes, sure. New features, sure. But also security fixes to help protect you from vulnerabilities, and various changes to keep your system compatible with related services -- for example, if Netflix changed the technical implementation of streaming video, your old version might stop working until you update.

This is true of Tesla, as well as devices like your smartphone and computer.

It probably wouldn't void your warranty running an old version for something like, say, the air conditioner stopped working, but it absolutely would if it's related to a bug resolved in a newer update (imagine you're on Auto Pilot and the car does something dumb, but it's an issue that was fixed in the next version that you "should have" applied a year ago)

The version that had been downloaded in the car and waiting to be installed disappeared about 3 days ago. As did the alarm clock. I then had the download icon on the top of the display, which I used to get 2021.4.11 downloaded to the car and now have the alarm clock and install reminder for that. It took about 5 weeks to skip over an update. So now I know how things work-this time.

The version that had been downloaded in the car and waiting to be installed disappeared about 3 days ago. As did the alarm clock. I then had the download icon on the top of the display, which I used to get 2021.4.11 downloaded to the car and now have the alarm clock and install reminder for that. It took about 5 weeks to skip over an update. So now I know how things work-this time.

really hoping they'll add that display option preference soon, but i'm not expecting it. it's really frustrating...

I have not installed new software for about 5 months now. Yesterday I got this Notice that filled most of the display:

“How digital content is streamed from providers like Netflix*, Youtube*, and Hulu* is changing on May 31, 2021. In
order to maintain compatibility to view streaming media, this vehicle requires a software update to at least version
2021.4.17. Connect your vehicle to Wi-Fi to download the latest vehicle software update.”

Well, they picked the wrong guy to threaten with lack of streaming. I don’t use it anyway. But……I grow weary of fighting the system. I’m sure v11 is right around the corner…… and I’ve had some nice months with the old UI. So I installed 2021.4.18 today. I hope anyone out there on anything older than 2021.4.17 doesn’t have their car implode on Jun 1. I’m apparently also getting new maps, so I’ve got that going for me.

Reactions: smogne41
I have not installed new software for about 5 months now. Yesterday I got this Notice that filled most of the display:

“How digital content is streamed from providers like Netflix*, Youtube*, and Hulu* is changing on May 31, 2021. In
order to maintain compatibility to view streaming media, this vehicle requires a software update to at least version
2021.4.17. Connect your vehicle to Wi-Fi to download the latest vehicle software update.”

Well, they picked the wrong guy to threaten with lack of streaming. I don’t use it anyway. But……I grow weary of fighting the system. I’m sure v11 is right around the corner…… and I’ve had some nice months with the old UI. So I installed 2021.4.18 today. I hope anyone out there on anything older than 2021.4.17 doesn’t have their car implode on Jun 1. I’m apparently also getting new maps, so I’ve got that going for me.

yeah, i saw that yesterday too. ugh.

how annoying is the new UI?

you can refuse all the update you want.
The main consequence is that stuff may start breaking and you won't be able to get support for it.
But as others have said, it will probably be fine for a while until just quits working at all. Then its service center visit to fix it.
The downside to a connected car - its really needs updates to keep working.

you can refuse all the update you want.
The main consequence is that stuff may start breaking and you won't be able to get support for it.
But as others have said, it will probably be fine for a while until just quits working at all. Then its service center visit to fix it.
The downside to a connected car - its really needs updates to keep working.

The warranty is actually conditioned on you accepting updates- so that's also a potential consequence.

Tesla warranty said:
Voided Warranty...

You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:

Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification there is an update available

• Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
I have 2020.48.12.1 running in the car. 2020.48.35.5 downloaded by itself with WiFi off. I have sat on it for about 3 weeks without installing it because I don’t like the new look of the screen. Does anybody know what happens if I continue doing this for a while? Will the download scrub out if a newer version becomes available to download or will it sit there forever blocking newer software until I finally install it? Certainly someone must have gone this route before but I have never read about it anywhere.

Sounds like what model S and model X owners thought of version 9 when it got pushed out. It was / is terrible. It actually removed features from my car, changed the entire UI to a cheapy looking version that was designed for a landscape view such as model 3. took away many of the color displays took away my ability to run two different apps and change my screen as I wanted, forced me to have nav on the screen at all times. And the list goes on. yes it was terrible but eventually they wear you down and you wind up having to install it. Welcome to the club. That was the first update that actually made my car worse it was not an improvement.

Reactions: KArnold