Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you run into a lake or a river?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use the submarine Easter egg.
upload_2017-4-15_15-21-43.jpeg

The front doors are mechanically linked the opening mechanism (they are electrical as well).

The rear doors are not, but there is a release.

If you seem to be attracted to launching yourself into a lake/river then I'd suggest getting one of those key chain things that can easily break the window.

• Informative
Reactions: Petra and Maaz
The guys point is valid. Accidents happen and sometimes cars end up in bodies of water. Just like any car once the electrical shorts out the windows will not function. That is not unique to Tesla. As soon as you hit the water, roll the windows down and get out during the flotation period. Also get a window breaker.

Reactions: X Fan and MTOman
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Hey it can happen, family friend of ours slipped off the road (during a heavy Michigan Winter), flipped into a river, and almost died if it wasn't for a heroic fire fighter off duty behind him who jumped in and saved him. I have one of those window breaker things in the glove box, hopefully that won't short circuit too.

Mo!

• Informative
Reactions: MTOman
The idea of my vehicle being submerged has not crossed my mind for even 1 second EVER in all my years driving and being in a vehicle until this thread LOL.

With that said, I wonder if the J1772 adapter in my glove box would be suitable to smash the window and if my Phtosync Window tint is going to screw me in this situation. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Lu Ann and Cowby
Kidding aside.... Since the battery is on the very bottom, although sealed, would there be enough time to roll the windows down before a short disabled the sinking ship? I would assume there might not be "any" time before a short prevents any power to the window motor... Better get one of them fancy window breakers...

Kidding aside.... Since the battery is on the very bottom, although sealed, would there be enough time to roll the windows down before a short disabled the sinking ship? I would assume there might not be "any" time before a short prevents any power to the window motor... Better get one of them fancy window breakers...
All the stuff inside runs on 12V, so nothing to do with the traction battery (ok, there is a DC-DC converter but there is still a 12V battery like a conventional car). Things would be pretty similar to any conventional car.

The battery is fairly well sealed, so I would expect the battery to remain functional for quite some time. Maybe the pressure at 60' depth may cause it to begin to leak, but near the surface it should be fine. Also, Elon seemed to imply that the Model-S floats, so there's that too.

The guys point is valid. Accidents happen and sometimes cars end up in bodies of water.
This is so sadly true. This remind me of this tragic accident where a driver made a right turn into a boat ramp.
There have been reported accidents a the same location, and a barrier would have prevented this accident.

Alameda sued over death of doctor who accidentally drove into estuary

20060508_065728_s8attari.jpg

The city of Alameda erected a temporary barricade at the foot of Grand Street
to avert a repeat of the tragedy that claimed the life of an Oakland doctor in December.