Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you tape over the cabin camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine has been taped over for over a year, now, it seems.

I really do hope they keep the 2 prong approach. clearly a lot of people want the opto sensor pointed at them so they dont have to tug the wheel or vol control knob. and there are a non-insignificant group who just want to keep using system as we have it today, with no intrusions to cabin privacy.

both will serve a prupose. more choice is good! I hope it goes that way!

Looking at TeslaFi’s firmware tracker page, the software versions with camera monitoring enabled have so far only rolled out to a small number of brand new 3/Y’s in North America. So ~99.9% of 3/Y’s are currently unaffected.

Heck… I’m not even convinced yet that this change is intended to be implemented on all 3/Y’s. (See some of my speculative and probably-soon-to-be-proven-wrong musings in another thread here.)

The Tesla cabin video facial awareness detection, like iOS facial recognition, is kept local to the vehicle (ie, no cloud privacy concerns). I, for one, welcome this technology if it decreases the FSD/AP nag interval for tugging at the wheel.
you have no idea about what kind of privacy concerns there are. I dont know since I cant see the source, but I know that you also don't know.

in a previous job, I was in a security group for a car company and we did actually find what was in flash, on various model cars, after they were wrecked. or even if the user just sold the car.

those of us who have an inkling of security background dont' just trust some vendor when they say 'oh yeah, your images are safe with us'.

no. the default wise position to take today is, assume its a lie and go from there. sorry to say, but vendors have no need to tell the truth to you 100% of the time. I know, shocking, huh?

I bet that if I got hold of a trashed car, I'd be able to find all kinds of stuff stored in flash, eeprom and any other storage media inside the car.

vendors tend to do a VERY BAD JOB when it comes to securing data (at rest and in motion).

Yeah makes sense. You’re purely doing that for cosmetics? Those laptop flip cover things make sense but would probably leave adhesive
I never got the plastic covers for phones and laptops. tape works great, there's always tape around and as long as I dont put the sticky side on the lens, its a 10 second solution.

I would never put adhesive on a lens; but that's my photography background coming thru ;)

Reactions: Gadget63
Well, for those who don't like or trust video capture systems (for whatever reasons), one better understand that these systems are everywhere. Without your knowledge, they are active. So, I like that some vendors are stating that these images are maintained locally or in flash, but at the end of the day, Get over it.

Scott McNealy, co-founder and former CEO of Sun Microsystems, famously told a group of reporters, “You have zero privacy anyway… Get over it!”

Well, for those who don't like or trust video capture systems (for whatever reasons), one better understand that these systems are everywhere. Without your knowledge, they are active. So, I like that some vendors are stating that these images are maintained locally or in flash, but at the end of the day, Get over it.
No, the correct response isn't "get over it", but "get used to it". I have to accept it, but I don't have to trust it (or like it).

Scott McNealy, co-founder and former CEO of Sun Microsystems, famously told a group of reporters, “You have zero privacy anyway… Get over it!”
funny, I used to work for Sun and I remember Scott quite well.

but he was wrong, as wrong as wrong can be. he was not at sun much longer after that (not due to that, but he did run sun into the ground). I really miss that company, along with sgi and the other workstation companies of the day.)

you have no idea about what kind of privacy concerns there are. I dont know since I cant see the source, but I know that you also don't know.

in a previous job, I was in a security group for a car company and we did actually find what was in flash, on various model cars, after they were wrecked. or even if the user just sold the car.

those of us who have an inkling of security background dont' just trust some vendor when they say 'oh yeah, your images are safe with us'.

no. the default wise position to take today is, assume its a lie and go from there. sorry to say, but vendors have no need to tell the truth to you 100% of the time. I know, shocking, huh?

I bet that if I got hold of a trashed car, I'd be able to find all kinds of stuff stored in flash, eeprom and any other storage media inside the car.

vendors tend to do a VERY BAD JOB when it comes to securing data (at rest and in motion).
In my prior not so happy life as a litigation discovery consultant I can assure the forum that you are absolutely correct. Not just correct but worse...you are being kind to the vendors and buyers as it regards to data security. I had the CIO of a major EU auto industry conglomerate based in germany backup all her data and another 1000 people on a lame system sitting in the US HQ. Violated lots of rules and laws- that was willful breaking laws, some did not even know the swiss and german data was now in the US, subject to discovery. What idiots. That was the CIO. Usually the CIO not even involved. Security?? Testing? Ha ha ha ha....That SolarWind hack that lets russian mob and KGB commit crime after crime? Complete incompetence.

Assume you can get to the cabin camera from outside the car. I for one would always tape over the camera, if the central computer controls or checks it..I assume a good hacker can get to it. So, tape it will be.

All the more reason not to leave my lovely forests and farms. And it is open season on drones flying over, hunting preserve a property over and any idiot flying a drone ..well they make good target practice.

• Funny
Reactions: kindofblue