Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if your let it drain to 0%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well,
I've got a situation, I was given a loaner by Tesla and the mobile charge kit or adapter were in the car. I used supercharging enough to get home from Tesla, but it's over 50 mi back to said supercharger and I only have 40mi left on the charge. Looks like it's going down 5-7mi nightly, sentry mode is disabled.

What happens if it gets too far drained? Is it okay after a charge?

I originally planned to use the mobile charger that came with my MYP, but unforeseen issues (i.e. truck w/MYP broke down, then truck driver ghosted Tesla for a day) which left me unable to pick up my MYP. I have a wall charger, but not installed yet, the install is pending the 30th (big sigh). So, as I mentioned Tesla gave me the loaner, but I forgot to ask if it had the mobile charge kit in it (assumed it did), drove about 350mi home and yea.

Tesla is trying to overnight me a charge kit, but looks like it took over a day to get picked up and FedEx can't drive it 300mi in a day, so won't get delivered till late Friday, which at this point, I'm just trying to make sure not to brick the loaner, as when they drop off my MYP, they need to pick this one up.

(Worth noting, Tesla has gone above and beyond with their service here, which is why I'm trying to find a charge kit so the loaner is fine.)

If you have the loaner connected to your phone, dont check on it, etc.

Download the plugshare app and see if there is a level 2 charger somewhere close to you that you can plug into for an hour or two, if you cant hit a supercharger for 30 minutes.

it shoudnt get down to zero, but thats not your fault if it happens. See if you can get a bit of charge from someone close to you.

Download the plugshare app and see if there is a level 2 charger somewhere close to you that you can plug into for an hour or two, if you cant hit a supercharger for 30 minutes.

it shoudnt get down to zero, but thats not your fault if it happens. See if you can get a bit of charge from someone close to you.
Yea nothing is connected to it. There's some Electrify America stalls around the corner, but no ChAdeMo or adapter for those to make that work.

Well,
I've got a situation, I was given a loaner by Tesla and the mobile charge kit or adapter were in the car. I used supercharging enough to get home from Tesla, but it's over 50 mi back to said supercharger and I only have 40mi left on the charge. Looks like it's going down 5-7mi nightly, sentry mode is disabled.

What happens if it gets too far drained? Is it okay after a charge?

I originally planned to use the mobile charger that came with my MYP, but unforeseen issues (i.e. truck w/MYP broke down, then truck driver ghosted Tesla for a day) which left me unable to pick up my MYP. I have a wall charger, but not installed yet, the install is pending the 30th (big sigh). So, as I mentioned Tesla gave me the loaner, but I forgot to ask if it had the mobile charge kit in it (assumed it did), drove about 350mi home and yea.

Tesla is trying to overnight me a charge kit, but looks like it took over a day to get picked up and FedEx can't drive it 300mi in a day, so won't get delivered till late Friday, which at this point, I'm just trying to make sure not to brick the loaner, as when they drop off my MYP, they need to pick this one up.

(Worth noting, Tesla has gone above and beyond with their service here, which is why I'm trying to find a charge kit so the loaner is fine.)
Maybe look for a neighbor with a Tesla and see if you can borrow his J1772 adapter, then go to a Plugshare or similar charger for an hour or two .. that should give you enough charge to get to the nearest supercharger.

There are enough Tesla drivers on TMC, I'd bet if you gave more than 'Florida' as your location, someone would hook you up either with a j1772 adapter or an hour on their charger. Additionally Plugshare has a decent number of 'native' Tesla chargers available.

Did you also turn off cabin overheat protection, Summon, et.al.? 5-7 miles a day is not normal.

I didn't know you can connect a Tesla service loaner to your phone. How does one do that?

No J1772 adapter in the car so you can use L2 chargers?
Nope :(

Maybe look for a neighbor with a Tesla and see if you can borrow his J1772 adapter, then go to a Plugshare or similar charger for an hour or two .. that should give you enough charge to get to the nearest supercharger.
Yea, I contacted the only person I knew with a Tesla in this area, haven't heard back yet, he's probably busy,

There are enough Tesla drivers on TMC, I'd bet if you gave more than 'Florida' as your location, someone would hook you up either with a j1772 adapter or an hour on their charger. Additionally Plugshare has a decent number of 'native' Tesla chargers available.

Did you also turn off cabin overheat protection, Summon, et.al.? 5-7 miles a day is not normal.
Last I checked cabin overheat protection was off.

There has to be some Tesla owners near you willing to help you out. I suggest you start with this page and see if folks can help you.

If you were in IL I'd drive 50 miles or more to help you out. Good luck
Did not think of posting in the regional forum, thanks.

My cousin hit zero once and the car shut off but She was driving on zero for about 17 miles which was bonkers!
The reason it hit zero was the charger was broken on her way home so She had no choice but to try and make it home which she did but it shot off in her driveway so she got lucky.

does a rare event of going to zero do any real harm or just do your best not to?