Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if your Tesla dies and the SC is closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Just curious, lets say it's 8pm on a Saturday evening. I'm out and away from home on a trip. I get in the car and there is a system failure or battery issue and the car is not driveable. The car is under warranty but the SC is closed for the night. What happens? Does Roadside tow your car to the closest SC (100 miles away) and leave it there? Do I let them tow and take an uber to my destination for the night and uber back to the SC in the morning?

Customer Support & Roadside Assistance is available 24/7/365. Call 877-79-TESLA (877-798-3752).
If you are hearing impaired, contact us via email here.

Our support team is in-house and based in Fremont, CA for the North American market. We will quickly assess the situation and can assist with common questions and troubleshooting issues. If needed, we can assist in transporting your vehicle with minimal disruption to your day utilizing our Tesla trained network of tow providers across North America.

Tesla Roadside Assistance is a service intended to minimize inconvenience when your Tesla vehicle is inoperable. This service is available during the first 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first for vehicles covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (Model S and Model X | Model 3) at the time of the occurrence. Roadside Assistance will also be provided under the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for any issues related to either of those two components; excluding collision coverage. For vehicle malfunctions due to warrantable issues, transportation services for the first 500 miles is covered by Tesla.

Customer Support & Roadside Assistance

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
Just curious, lets say it's 8pm on a Saturday evening. I'm out and away from home on a trip. I get in the car and there is a system failure or battery issue and the car is not driveable. The car is under warranty but the SC is closed for the night. What happens? Does Roadside tow your car to the closest SC (100 miles away) and leave it there? Do I let them tow and take an uber to my destination for the night and uber back to the SC in the morning?
Probably similar to any other car. I doubt you will find any dealers open at 8 pm on a Saturday. Fortunately a Tesla has never left me stranded.

'SC is closed?

Which SC closes?

Yes they'll tow it to the nearest SC and get you an uber/Lyft to your destination.

Happened to me off hours on Wednesday. The nearest SC was only a few miles away tho. Went to the SC the next day to pick up a loaner.

What if your car breaks while plugged in at the SC, but the nearest SC is closed? Will they tow the SC to the SC and leave it at the SC, or just move you to another SC?

Wait just one moment........ Who's on first?

First question: How do you plug your car into a Service Center?

2nd question: Why/How would you tow a Service Center to a SuperCharger....that doesn't sound right.

You guys are killing me...... I don't understand anything you are saying.

LOL

What if your car breaks while plugged in at the SC, but the nearest SC is closed? Will they tow the SC to the SC and leave it at the SC, or just move you to another SC?

Honestly IMHO, it depends on in which state did your MS break down. In SC, there is no SC. So if your car breaks down while charging in a SC in SC, they can't tow you to a SC in SC. I hope it's all clear to you now MM.

Are there any SCs or SCs in SC? Heh, I looked it up and it looks like they have SCs but not SCs. It is one of those states.

So the OP should've asked what happens if the car breaks down and is stuck at an SC in SC which has no nearby SCs. That would've been a much more interesting question.

• Funny
Reactions: copyhacker
Are there any SCs or SCs in SC? Heh, I looked it up and it looks like they have SCs but not SCs. It is one of those states.

So the OP should've asked what happens if the car breaks down and is stuck at an SC in SC which has no nearby SCs. That would've been a much more interesting question.
Ok, now I feel like it’s starting to get difficult to keep track of what these abbreviations mean.

Yup. When this happened to me they helped me find a rental car at the closest place that was still open; I drove the rental to the SC two days later and they dropped it off for me. At least at the time, they said they would have paid for a taxi, Uber, or some other means of transportation to get me either home, then to the SC, or to the SC in one shot if necessary.

During my junior year at SC (Southland College in the Philippines) I had an internship at SC (Standard Chartered - England) when my parents bought a Model S after trading in their Lexus SC. During the flight home to see it I watched SC (SportsCenter) and read about the nasty SC (Special Circumstances) group in Iain M. Banks “The Player of Games” novel.

I arrived in SC (South Columbus) and my parents picked me up for a vacation to the beach in SC (South Carolina). We were at the SC (supercharger) in Santee when the car threw an error message and Tesla’s online support immediately called and said it was nothing to worry about but recommended we get to a SC (Service Center) at our convenience. We still went to the beach but tabled our trip to visit USC until we had the MC in the MS looked at.
:D

• Funny
Reactions: copyhacker