Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens to the aero wheels when I purchase the upgraded sport wheel package?

Winter set + aftermarket or sport wheel upgrade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - I do quite a bit of reading on this website as well as others but have not seen this question asked/answered yet. I live in Iowa, so about 4 months of the year I will be driving through snow or less than ideal conditions. I have read everywhere that a tesla with snow tires is leaps and bounds better than most ICE cars with AWD - so im electing to configure my model 3 as RWD. I would like to purchase the sport wheel package; I love the wheels and think it really makes certain color model 3s more attractive. However, I would like to own two sets of wheels - one with all seasons tires and one with snow tires for my winter months. That way I can just swap wheels in November and call it good until April.

In an ideal world - I would like to purchase the sport wheel package for the $1500 but also have the option to keep my stock aero wheels for winter tires. Is this a possibility, or is it typical that an upgraded wheel package means the manufacturer just keeps the stock option and gives you what you ordered?

IF that's the case, and people have the same idea I do with keeping wheels for winter and other wheels for spring summer fall - is everyone just keeping the aero wheels and buying aftermarket wheels for less than $1500? That seems like a win/win to me as you will get the attractive aftermarket wheels of your choosing while ALSO getting to keep the aero wheels for your winter option? Seems like the only reasonable option to me? let me know your thoughts guys - thanks!

You only get one set of wheels with the car. Whichever you selected/paid for.

Unless you really like the sport wheels you would probably be better off buying after market wheels.

The other option is to buy the sport wheels and then wait and buy an Aero set from someone that bought aftermarket wheels and doesn't want to keep the Aeros...

You could donate the aero wheels to help establish an Ugly Auto Museum in Nothing, AZ just north of Wickenburg. (Don't blink or you'll miss it.) Ever since the big fire that destroyed most of the town's two buildings twenty years ago, the population has steadily dropped from four to zero. Obviously Nothing would welcome your ugly wheels. Anything is better than nothing.

I appreciate the responses. I just cant see myself paying $1500 for the wheel upgrade AND buying a second set for winter tires. Looks like the only options are to buy aftermarket for my pretty set, or buy someone elses aeros for my winter set. Will be on the lookout as delivery date starts getting closer

As has been said, the car comes with only one set of wheels. I'm sure that Tesla will eventually begin selling winter sets for the Model3 like they currently do for the ModelS.

I also plan to have a winter set of wheels, but most likely buy from a third party. I will put the all-season tires on the aftermarket wheels and the winter tires on the factory aeros.

Reactions: Hixson
And something to remember is that it is highly likely that the Aero wheels are decent looking wheels with an Aero cover that you can remove. And there will likely be a number of aftermarket center cap/hub covers that will be made to change the look of the wheels. (I hope we get confirmation on this soon.)

One question I have (being in California I don't have any experience with this two sets of wheels thing) is that if you get the stock aeros aren't you going to have to take off the unused all season tires and buy winter ones? Does that expense make a difference in the calculations?

Can someone point me to some 3rd party rim/tire bundles now that fit the Model 3 at under $1,500 for the set?

Now that we have the specs for both the 18" wheels and the 19" wheels it shouldn't be hard to find a combo that can fit the $1500 range.

My plan atleast is to purchase aftermarket 18" wheels. That way I can use the stock tires from Tesla on my aftermarket wheels, and buy snow tires for my stock aero wheels. Im expecting to pay around $1200-1500 for aftermarket 18" wheels, and then probably $150-$200 per tire for snow tires. In total that would put me above the $1500 it costs for the sport wheel package, however I would also have 2 sets of wheels with full tires for only $600-800 more than the tesla upgrade cost. Makes sense for someone like me in a snowy area.

One question I have (being in California I don't have any experience with this two sets of wheels thing) is that if you get the stock aeros aren't you going to have to take off the unused all season tires and buy winter ones? Does that expense make a difference in the calculations?

the plan is to reuse the all season tires from the stock aeros on the new aftermarket wheels

Can the aero wheels not be used all-season?

They certainly can. I would just prefer to have 2 sets of wheels, one with winter and one with all season. That way when the seasons change I can just swap wheels in my garage and go. If I only have one set of wheels, then I need to take my wheels to a tire shop twice per year and pay them $120 to switch tires around. Its our understanding that current tesla owners recommend winter tires for snow driving with a RWD tesla as opposed to all-season

I really want a gray wheel so hopefully someone creates an aftermarket. Right now the TSportline Model S 19" will cost you $3k for wheel and tire.
TSportline

I might also look into a Plasti Dip on the premium rims. That seems like a waste if $1,500 when you can get an extra set of unique tires and rims for $2,500ish.