Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when garage door is already opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So be very careful leaving your garage if you use the auto garage door feature. It will activate a close cycle as you are leaving even if the door is open and potentially cause your car and garage door to collide...

Homelink is a blind toggle interface - communication is one direction only, and there aren't separate open and close signals, only a change state.

I think there is a new version that does have discrete open and close signals and knows current status, but you have to have a relatively new garage door opener as well. So maybe a future possibility with an update?

I think there is a new version that does have discrete open and close signals and knows current status, but you have to have a relatively new garage door opener as well. So maybe a future possibility with an update?
I also believe this to be true. I’ve only seen reference in commercial openers though.

Have a 2 wide garage door and two Teslas? By very careful with this setting!

If I have the car set up to auto open the garage door when I get home, what happens if the door is already open? Does the car somehow know that, or does it close the door instead of opening it?

Yeah - sometimes ya gotta hit the button to reverse the direction. Life is rough!

Or, you could drive around the block and then try again.

Homelink is a blind toggle interface - communication is one direction only, and there aren't separate open and close signals, only a change state.

So yes, if the car hits the auto open geo tag and transmits when the door is open, it'll close the door.
For this reason I disabled the feature. To many times the door was already open when I came home and the door would close when I didn't want it to.

Reactions: PoitNarf
A true accident waiting to happen is if you leave in your Tesla and someone else leaves right after you. In my case, I drove my 3 out and as my wife was about to leave the 3 triggered the garage door to close. It almost came down on top of her Volt.

I have it disabled also. I worry that it'll close on the car it I drive out too slowly. Also, I have a 2nd remote that cuts the power to the garage door (I'm just super security concious) so nobody can open my door until I power the door up with the other remote so auto open on drive up wouldn't work anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Joe
When the auto-open feature was introduced a couple of years ago I enabled it, but after a month or two I disabled it because it would often fail to raise my door more than a few inches, and more importantly, it would close an already-open door, which could be a big problem if a family member were to leave something like a broom or rake propped in the door path. The minor convenience was just not worth the serious risks. But I still tell people that this is a feature because it sounds so cool. :)

But that turns a convenience feature into an annoying inconvenience.
More annoying than having to find the remote and press the button or more annoying than hitting the screen to open the door.
Or more annoying than checking to see if the door is open or clear etc
I was tempted to think up more, but it comes down to the simple fact that the garage door isn't fool/idiot proof, expecting a car to fix that isn't sensible.:rolleyes:

I solve this in a different way. I have a "smarter" garage controller (Garageio.com) connected to our normal homelink controller. Garageio DOES know if the door is open or closed and therefore gives you discrete open and close functionality, regardless of the state of the door.

Since Tesla doesn't natively support Garagegio, I made a simple IFTTT applet that opens my garage door when i enter a defined georegion of our home. Works great. When I arrive home and enter driveway, the garage opens if it was closed, and stays open if it was open.
IFTTT+Garageio