Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when the parking brake button is accidentally pushed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When putting the wipers on today I almost hit the Parking Brake at 50 mph. My other car has the wipers on the Tesla's parking brake side so this won't be the last time I'll get mixed up. Will it screech to a halt? Do I have to hold the button down to have the car stop? I bet the cars behind me would have not been happy. I would rather not test it out.

GG

• Helpful
Reactions: JPUConn
At lower speeds, it will put up a message that says "Engaging parking brake" and you'll slowly slow down using the power of the electromechanical parking brake. HOWEVER, pressing the gas overrides the parking brake, so if you are accelerating and hit it, nothing happens. You just get a triple-beep, a brief "Engaging parking brake" message, and nothing happens.

At higher speeds, on my MS, it seems like absolutely nothing happens when I press it. My car didn't shift into neutral at around 45mph.

• Informative
Reactions: kelly
Is there a way to engage the parking brakes as an emergency brake at speed? If not, what are we supposed to do if the main brakes fail? There's an emergency stop buried in the menus but I can't imagine digging through menus in a real emergency.