Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when you drive from UK to Europe? Headlight? Self drive overtaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its a UK forum so perhaps difficult to dig up, but surely we have LHD matrix light owners that can post a picture of their car? Has TeslaBjorn done a headlight test on the new lights?

edit:

looks to me like it kicks up to the right and is biased to the right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh yes, sorry, I’m on holiday so checking this forum on my phone and missed that.

Well, that is truly bizarre then. If the beam deliberately kicks up on the same side regardless of which side of the road you drive on, how can that possibly be correct? Surely either the LHD cars are wrong or the RHD cars are wrong?
To be fair, that picture is when the vehicle is in adjustment state which changes the beam pattern.

The normal pattern has multiple high points across the beam - it certainly isn't flat.

Upvote 0
Well I’m alright, Jack. Now that we know there is an issue maybe have some respect for the people in the country your visiting. £5 from Amazon.

Oh and raise a service ticket.
This was my response to the quotation of the Tesla owners manual saying no changes to headlights were required.

I’m not planning to drive at night. But I do have some beam benders ready to use if needed.

But where do you even apply beam benders to matrix lights anyway?

Upvote 0
Actually, the French law does not require you to have a Hi-Viz (gilet jaune) for every passenger, just for the driver. Having said that, a lot of people do carry two in the glovebox. Unlike the UK where you can only normally be stopped for a reason, when driving in France you can be pulled over at any time. It is quite normal for the Gendarmerie to do routine traffic stops at péages or at town roundabouts and crossroads. If they stop you, apart from driving documentation they may ask to see your kit sécurité voiture. If you don't have what's required, that's the point they'll fine. Just in case, for those continuing to Spain, the requirement there is two warning triangles.
Just to clarify, English and Welsh law doesn’t require the police to have a reason to stop a vehicle. Can be simply to pull someone over to check their documents, no justification required. Though, to make life easier, they’ll usually stop someone who has broken some moving traffic offence as justification to avoid aggro.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, English and Welsh law doesn’t require the police to have a reason to stop a vehicle.
The law most certainly does require them to have a reason. However of course, the reasons can be manifold....

The police can stop a vehicle for any reason.

In France, the Police, the Gendarmerie, Customs and Border services can all stop you as they please - without the need to explain (or invent!) a reason.

Upvote 0
The law most certainly does require them to have a reason. However of course, the reasons can be manifold....

The police can stop a vehicle for any reason.

In France, the Police, the Gendarmerie, Customs and Border services can all stop you as they please - without the need to explain (or invent!) a reason.
Have to love those semantics. “Any reason”. Ok, so it’s a reason, but it can be anything, including just fancying a chat. The driver doesn’t have to have committed any infraction to be stopped, in the first place.

Upvote 0
Have to love those semantics. “Any reason”. Ok, so it’s a reason, but it can be anything, including just fancying a chat. The driver doesn’t have to have committed any infraction to be stopped, in the first place.
When I lived in the US I once had an American motorcycle cop pull me over with blue lights flashing and I’m 90% sure the reason was that he was thinking about buying the same model of motorcycle I had. Spent a good 10 minutes looking around my bike and asking me questions about it, then said something like “and… oh, yeah… slow down a bit as well…” at the end right before he rode off 🙂

Upvote 0
When I lived in the US I once had an American motorcycle cop pull me over with blue lights flashing and I’m 90% sure the reason was that he was thinking about buying the same model of motorcycle I had. Spent a good 10 minutes looking around my bike and asking me questions about it, then said something like “and… oh, yeah… slow down a bit as well…” at the end right before he rode off 🙂
I’ve known officers to randomly pull over cars of a particular colour as a way of dip sampling drivers.

Upvote 0
I’m an American living in the U.K. for 22 years and have experience of both situations.

In the US the justification to In the use the notion of ‘probable cause’ seems to apply for the requirement to search a vehicle. But the justification to pull you over seems more vague and I think there is quite a lot of ‘profiling’ that contributes to this decision making.

In the U.K. it seems like the Police are not interested in pulling you over unless there is a genuine reason, dangerous driving , and unroadworthy car etc.

I’m actually on a European road trip in my Tesla M3 right now. I drove through north France yesterday and spotted two separate instances where the police were picking cars out of a queue of traffic for checks. Spotted a number of U.K. stickers on the cars being chosen but we weren’t too far from Calais.

It seems like in France they apply an approach to road safety checks for passenger cars similar to the way the U.K. does with heavy goods vehicles.

Upvote 0
I’ve been driving around in Spain since Saturday. The lights definitely don’t automatically adjust whilst driving on the right side of the road. However, it’s not been an issue, despite the uptick on the left of the illumination. As the LED beam is so focussed, it’s quite flat, including on the uptick. The highest I’ve seen the beam go, including on the uptick, is the top of oncoming vehicles’ bonnets. I’ve not noticed any light going high enough to shine in drivers’ faces, and I’ve certainly not had anyone flash me (and Spaniards are quick to flash you when you blind them!).

On a very positive note, AP/NoA works great on Spanish roads. Definitely feels far more stable and positioned, and I’m quite happy using AP on the single carriageway A roads, which are commonly straight’ish Roman road style. I don’t use AP on British single carriageways as it doesn’t feel safe to me.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Upvote 0
Hello all,

I'm taking a road trip next week with the family to Austria via France, Belgium and Germany from the UK on the channel tunnel train.

Does the connectivity pack (internet) automatically work in Europe or do I have to use my mobile phone instead?

Should we stick to the Toll roads or its okay to venture out onto the country roads? Are there Superchargers everywhere? If I decide to go off the motorway, are there still options with regards to Tesla super charging stations?

With regards to the toll roads, can anyone recommend getting a dongle or is it fairly quick getting through the booths? Is card accepted everywhere?

The headlights are a slight concern, I hate blinding other drivers, so I am wondering if anyone has bothered with the stickers? Were they effective? and if so where exactly does one stick them on the lights? The TM3 lights are not like most cars or are they?

Does the car switch to metric automatically or do I have to switch to km from miles?

If I take out breakdown cover, is it necessary to buy a car jack, plugs, car jack rubber things or simply rely on the breakdown cover to sort out punctures etc. Do any of you carry a car jack, biscuit wheel, slime, foam and electric pump? one do you recommend? From what I've read on this forum is not worth calling Tesla, or is it?

As you can see, I have some concerns being the first time I'm traveling long distance in another country. Hopefully all will be fine, but if anyone can comment on any of the above that would be much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the connectivity pack (internet) automatically work in Europe

Yes

Are there Superchargers everywhere?

I recommend you use ABetterRoutePlanner to plan your route. You don't need to stick to it, but that will tell you if there are any sections without Superchargers, or a "stick to 50 MPH" stretch or "Charge to well above 80%" to reach the next one ... you might want to consider a Plan B (e.g. using an alternative brand charging ... fair amount of Ionity on the continent, for example - ABRP has ability to include those in your plan, if you fiddle with the settings to allow "Only Superchargers" or "Superchargers and ANY" or "Superchargers PLUS favour X, Y, Z Brands" (for any APPs / Subscription etc. that you have)

With regards to the toll roads, can anyone recommend getting a dongle or is it fairly quick getting through the booths? Is card accepted everywhere?

Plenty here say windscreen-sticker is really convenient (and easy to get and cost effective). Perhaps don't actually stick it to your screen (so that it is transferable to a.n.other car).. I've always had a passenger, and never bothered, and always used card. However, my passenger isn't very tall, and now I think about it getting lined up so I don't curb the wheels and she doesn't have to undo seatbelt and climb half way out of passenger window!! means maybe I should get a sticker next time. It would save having to wake her up at the tolls too ... :)

The headlights are a slight concern

I agree. I've only ever taken MS to continent, and not had a problem with that ... but plenty of reports of M3s being flashed at night by oncoming cars. Will you be driving at night?

Last edited:
Reactions: lookatbowen
Upvote 0
Does the car switch to metric automatically or do I have to switch to km from miles?

Manual. I change to KM so that the speedo showed KPH

If I take out breakdown cover, is it necessary to buy a car jack, plugs, car jack rubber things or simply rely on the breakdown cover to sort out punctures etc.

I have always taken out AA/RAC (or something like that) for continental cover. I have Winter wheels/tyres and I take one of the wrong-season wheels with me - I figure unlikely that anyone will have right-size-tire in stock - but its quite a lot of boot space, awkward to pack around, and may smell (I put it in a bin liner or two). I've never owned / used the rubber things. Garages seem to know what to do, and I'm not planning to jack up a 2 tonne car with a scissor jack by the roadside, someone is going to have to come and rescue me for that ... but they can use my spare if that happens so I can get going :) (I've never considered if they will refuse to fit a wrong-season-tyre though ...)

I've had cars with no spare wheel for years. I've always had a can of puncture-repair in all of them. It won't help if I rip the side out of tyre, but for a nail it might - the foam fill of the Tesla tyres may mean the slime won't work though ... worth checking if there are slime solutions specifically for them.

If you have the ability to jack the car then maybe plugs are a good idea (and maybe you can do those by drive / rotate wheel to a convenient position without having to take wheel off the car?)

I also have 12V tyre pressure pump in the car. But I always have done, not specifically for long trips. Might need it at any time ...

Upvote 0
I recommend you use ABetterRoutePlanner to plan your route. You don't need to stick to it, but that will tell you if there are any sections without Superchargers, or a "stick to 50 MPH" stretch or "Charge to well above 80%" to reach the next one ... you might want to consider a Plan B (e.g. using an alternative brand charging ... fair amount of Ionity on the continent, for example - ABRP has ability to include those in your plan, if you fiddle with the settings to allow "Only Superchargers" or "Superchargers and ANY" or "Superchargers PLUS favour X, Y, Z Brands" (for any APPs / Subscription etc. that you have)

Plenty here say windscreen-sticker is really convenient (and easy to get and cost effective). Perhaps don't actually stick it to your screen (so that it is transferable to a.n.other car).. I've always had a passenger, and never bothered, and always used card. However, my passenger isn't very tall, and now I think about it getting lined up so I don't curb the wheels and she doesn't have to undo seatbelt and climb half way out of passenger window!! means maybe I should get a sticker next time. It would save having to wake her up at the tolls too ... :)

In France we did well with an Octopus Juice card. France seemed to have more destination (fast) chargers than Rapids, often very busy at the weekend. The airbnb host had been kind enough to offer charging too. There are some 50kw rapids in some supermarkets which are absolutely spot on and worked with the Juice card (and didn't charge me anything, oddly..). Overall we kept our battery above water without needing much rapid charging / didn't visit a SC once. Note that most the chargers needed an RFID card, and would not just take a debit card. PITA...
There are enough superchargers if we didn't find anything local, but would you rather stick it on charge for 2hrs while you're at a museum, or sit in a car for 15-30 mins? (Most the superchargers seem to be built at hotels, rather than MSAs). There are a few ionity sites too, no idea if bonet gives you a less exploitative option.

The toll booths were a source of contention with my wife. She was of the view it was a pain in the arse that she had to get half our each time. I was of the view I had no ****ing clue how close i was to the concrete side, it's far harder to judge than she thinks, and didn't want a very expensive repair. Would probably get a tag next time to avoid.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your answers @WannabeOwner. I will look into extending the AA cover that I get through my bank for European cover.
Very useful answers indeed and wow wee to that 'A better route planner' (great name, so much useful information in one location).

I have a 12V tyre pressure pump and some puncture foam. Never got to use any of them, but they are like an insurance policy.

I will be briefly driving at night on the first day, and possibly on the route back, so it shouldn't be such a problem.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
I have spent the day looking at routes from Calais France to Anger in Austria. Initially, I stuck with what 'A better route planner' (ABRP) was suggesting, but after tweaking a few of the settings (making sure only Tesla CCS & CCS were selected), I have now been playing around with different routes.

Pricewise, I don't care if I pay a little more at a different fast charger, as long as I am not stuck somewhere without a charge, but I was wondering has anyone has experience with the following charging companies and are they easy to use? (e.g. download the app and add some cash to the app, arrive at the charger, plug in and relax) or are they painful (opposite to the ease of SC)?
  1. Fastned
  2. Ionity

Upvote 0
I have spent the day looking at routes from Calais France to Anger in Austria. Initially, I stuck with what 'A better route planner' (ABRP) was suggesting, but after tweaking a few of the settings (making sure only Tesla CCS & CCS were selected), I have now been playing around with different routes.

Pricewise, I don't care if I pay a little more at a different fast charger, as long as I am not stuck somewhere without a charge, but I was wondering has anyone has experience with the following charging companies and are they easy to use? (e.g. download the app and add some cash to the app, arrive at the charger, plug in and relax) or are they painful (opposite to the ease of SC)?
  1. Fastned
  2. Ionity
you can use Bonnet with both of those and only pay 41c kwh....for now

Upvote 0